US Pilots Labor Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
When, besides the 737 engineer, the PSA strike, did USAPA or ALPA represent as a member in good standing a pilot who scabbed this very airline! MM!

PSA pilots were not as yet represented by ALPA when we struck for an "Industry Standard" contract September 25, 1980.
We walked the line for 52 days. We finally settled for less than we would have achieved without the strike. Some of us were furloughed post strike.

Our "in house" union was called the "Southwest Flight Crew Association" and after the strike it was decided that we would better represented by pattern bargaining that could be a benefit of joining a national union. We interviewed the Teamsters and ALPA. The Teamsters were already on the PSA property representing the mechanics. Allegedly, they torched an airplane one night to prove a point during a mechanic labor issue. So most PSA pilots had a bad taste in their mouth for the Teamsters.

J.J. O'Donnell and his recruiting team from ALPA made a better sales pitch and we ultimately joined ALPA.

There were a handful of the "oldtimers" from PSA that scabbed, most were not union members and always hated paying their
germane fees. At the time of the strike, Bill Shimp, a former PSA line pilot, was CEO and most of the scabs aligned with him out of a sense of loyalty to him.

Quite a bit of irony for us former PSA pilots that the national union was ousted in favor of the in house union to achieve yet another "industry standard contract." Still waiting after all these years.

PSA pilots were not as yet represented by ALPA when we struck for an "Industry Standard" contract September 25, 1980.
We walked the line for 52 days. We finally settled for less than we would have achieved without the strike. Some of us were furloughed post strike.

Our "in house" union was called the "Southwest Flight Crew Association" and after the strike it was decided that we would better represented by pattern bargaining that could be a benefit of joining a national union. We interviewed the Teamsters and ALPA. The Teamsters were already on the PSA property representing the mechanics. Allegedly, they torched an airplane one night to prove a point during a mechanic labor issue. So most PSA pilots had a bad taste in their mouth for the Teamsters.

J.J. O'Donnell and his recruiting team from ALPA made a better sales pitch and we ultimately joined ALPA.

There were a handful of the "oldtimers" from PSA that scabbed, most were not union members and always hated paying their
germane fees. At the time of the strike, Bill Shimp, a former PSA line pilot, was CEO and most of the scabs aligned with him out of a sense of loyalty to him.

Quite a bit of irony for us former PSA pilots that the national union was ousted in favor of the in house union to achieve yet another "industry standard contract." Still waiting after all these years.
Quite a bit of "irony" or full circle, only to see it come and be taken away by our so called ALPA! MM!

Quite a bit of "irony" or full circle, only to see it come and be taken away by our so called ALPA! MM!

A tired argument MM. ALPA took nothing. Our elected ALPA MEC Chairman, and certain members of the MEC gave it away. LOA 93 was voted in by a majority of USAirways ALPA MIGS. Now the pension loss is another matter. Clearly ALPA National could have done a better job of helping us keep or modify our pension plan to keep it from falling to the PBGC.

We let it happen right under our noses. Shame on us not ALPA National.

ALPA's "pattern bargaining" is code for a profitable scheme for a few at the top of the pyramid while they slowly, systemically capitulate the profession and blame it on those members "who are ALPA".

MM and fellow pilots..

April 1st marks the beginning of the term of office for your new PHL representatives. Your outgoing reps are taking it as the deadline for any last minute agenda that they want to advance prior to their departure. They, specifically John Dubarry, are calling for a special BPR meeting for March 29. You need to ask yourself, why call a meeting with an expansive agenda two days before your new choices take office? The agenda items are so vague they could take this headhunt of a meeting anywhere but it includes an officer and committee code of conduct review, in other words they are planning to pick off a few folks on their way out the door while they still have the chance. Those on the BPR who want to see us change course, PHX in particular (this should tell you all you need to know about our course by the way), understand that when the new PHL reps take office the chances of disrupting our efforts diminish significantly...
Surprise, surprise, surprise.

Yet another unsigned BS letter posted by biggie a usapa shill.

So the guys that you elected 2 years ago that have seen what has been going on now do not represent the PHL guys? Because they see what Cleary and gang have been doing.

Oh no if someone agrees with PHX it must be bad right. You guys are pathetic.

ALPA's "pattern bargaining" is code for a profitable scheme for a few at the top of the pyramid while they slowly, systemically capitulate the profession and blame it on those members "who are ALPA".

You weren't complaining about ALPA when your paycheck reflected "parity plus 1%" which was a direct result of pattern bargaining at Delta and United.

You weren't complaining about ALPA when your paycheck reflected "parity plus 1%" which was a direct result of pattern bargaining at Delta and United.

And that lasted what? A few months? The only thing worse than USAPA is ALPA! The worlds most expensive magazine subscription.

seajay

It was way more than a few month, why dont you try at least a couple of years, I know we had it too in the IAM M&R CBA and I remember at least two party reviews.

And I remember your the widebody group got such a raise you passed it on to the rest of the pilots as it was huge.

You said USAPA had scabs as MIGS, well prove it, read my post, on this property USAPA did not accept anyone that crossed a strike here like ALPA did!
Like I said, a pretty narrow view. From Webster's:

a. A worker who refuses membership in a labor union.
b. An employee who works while others are on strike; a strikebreaker.
c. A person hired to replace a striking worker.

Given your definition, I assume that you'll correct Nos the next time he says that AWA had scabs because they flew Ansett routes after the Ansett pilots all quit. Note that they didn't work for Ansett so they weren't scabs.

By your definition, there probably aren't any scabs at US - they went to work (crosssing a picket line) at other airlines. It's been so long since US, including it's various merger partners, has had a strike that anyone that did cross is long since retired.

Jim

It was way more than a few month, why dont you try at least a couple of years, I know we had it too in the IAM M&R CBA and I remember at least two party reviews.

And I remember your the widebody group got such a raise you passed it on to the rest of the pilots as it was huge.

Perhaps. Tell you the truth, I don't exactly recall how long it lasted, but I don't think it was years. Seemed like it went away pretty quick. So in my lifetime, it might have been something under 10% of the time I have been here. O boy, like I said, the worlds most expensive magazine subscription!

seajay

Perhaps. Tell you the truth, I don't exactly recall how long it lasted, but I don't think it was years.

It was over a year. Perhaps you're thinking of the 2nd parity review that resulted in a decent increase in pay. I think UA pilots got a big raise which triggered the raise in the 1st parity review, then DL got their big raise which was included in the 2nd parity review and triggered another big raise. I may have UA and DL reversed, but one of them was responsible for the first big raise and the other was responsible for the 2nd. Granted, the 2nd increase only lasted 2-3 months before the concessions leading up to BK1 were ratified by the pilot group. That put pay about the same as after the 1st parity review. Then LOA 93 dropped pay below pre-parity review levels, again ratified by the pilot group.

Jim

Like I said, a pretty narrow view. From Webster's:

a. A worker who refuses membership in a labor union.
b. An employee who works while others are on strike; a strikebreaker.
c. A person hired to replace a striking worker.

Given your definition, I assume that you'll correct Nos the next time he says that AWA had scabs because they flew Ansett routes after the Ansett pilots all quit.

Jim
I assume you'll take that up with him, ! I believe braniff and united were there also! MM!

Perhaps. Tell you the truth, I don't exactly recall how long it lasted, but I don't think it was years. Seemed like it went away pretty quick. So in my lifetime, it might have been something under 10% of the time I have been here. O boy, like I said, the worlds most expensive magazine subscription!

seajay
Interesting! usapa charges the same dues rate but they don't even send out a magazine. I guess that makes them the world most expensive what?

Same dues rate plus assessments? With nothing to show for it after 3 years. Like I said pathetic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back