US Pilots Labor Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
My biggest fear is I don't wind up like him after I go

Personally I do hope you're lucky enough to wind up like me when you retire. There's nothing better than having no set schedule, being home all the time and free of all but the normal monthly bills - electricity, credit card, cable, broadband, water, etc.

Jim

This month 38 A330 f/o's senior to 7I CAPT 1 flying rt seat for MED return! MM! Not to mention A330 f/o's senior to AB CAPT!
That's what I came up with too. By choice many choose the right seat. Like I said 300 plus F/O's are below seniority number 1800. We have some B737 Captains slightly below 2200. I wish I had those seniority projection tools because you could plug in any pilot and track where they would be on any given date. If I remember correctly there was a large chunk of East pilots who over time who would regress under Nic. The Nicolau list is touted as fair because it's based on relative position. But that is only part of the picture. Nicolau's integration method decelerates East progression and accelerates West progression over time. With a industry standard contract, growth and prospects for a better future I still think Nic is problematic. When you couple Nic with reality - no growth and a sub standard contract offer it's absolutely untenable. Unless of course it is imposed by a Federal court.

traderjake,

Are you kidding? The older the group the better! Attrition is the gold standard. Average age in the east 59 years old. More than 2800 east pilots will be gone in 14 years.

Hate
Now attrition is the gold standard. I thought you east guys said that DOH was the gold standard. You are incorrect about the average age of 59. But would you care to guess what the average age of the west pilots is?

It is less than 2800 in 14 years. Of that less than 2800 how many are on MED or not active? Their retirement has no value. Any idea how many west pilots retire in that same 14 year period? In the next 14 years do you think that US Airways will still exist?

:lol: :lol: :lol: Sure!! Okay Lee!

Lee? I hope to God you are not accusing me of being a scumbag lawyer! As far as I'm concerned lawyers rank somewhere below fecal matter microbes and airline management pinheads on the food chain.

As far as the outcome of a DFR-II being uncertain, if that were not true, then I suggest you just move for a Summary Judgment and avoid another few million dollars.

By the way, your tag line "Ratification is meaningless" does not compute, as a DFR proponent, you must realize that ratification is EVERTHING. Without it, you can't even get to a DFR-II.

seajay

That's what I came up with too. By choice many choose the right seat. Like I said 300 plus F/O's are below seniority number 1800. We have some B737 Captains slightly below 2200. I wish I had those seniority projection tools because you could plug in any pilot and track where they would be on any given date. If I remember correctly there was a large chunk of East pilots who over time who would regress under Nic. The Nicolau list is touted as fair because it's based on relative position. But that is only part of the picture. Nicolau's integration method decelerates East progression and accelerates West progression over time. With a industry standard contract, growth and prospects for a better future I still think Nic is problematic. When you couple Nic with reality - no growth and a sub standard contract offer it's absolutely untenable. Unless of course it is imposed by a Federal court.
East progression had been decelerated long before the merger or the Nicolau award. Multiple bankruptcies, high CASMs, and a broken business model are the causes of that deceleration, not the NIC and certainly not the west pilots. Absent the merger the east career acceleration would have gone all the way down to zero, at least at US and on this seniority list. George Nicolau is a skilled and experienced arbitrator and he crafted a well-reasoned and equitable integrated seniority list that took as many of the variables and factors into reasonable consideration as possible to produce a very fair list and very tenable list. It was and is a compromise position that neither group is perfectly happy with, which is to be expected in an arbitration of this nature.

Regardless of the post-award perceptions, both sides agreed to the process and there is no court in the land that is going to overrule the NIC award if it were ever challenged – which it hasn’t been. On the contrary, the NIC has in fact been imposed by a Federal Court once already and there are at least two scenarios whereby it will be imposed again (Company DJ or DFR II if a non-NIC JCBA is ever ratified). IMO, what should be untenable for the east is to continue on LOA93 in perpetuity without even a glimmer of hope of avoiding the NIC in any future contract.

East progression had been decelerated long before the merger or the Nicolau award. Multiple bankruptcies, high CASMs, and a broken business model are the causes of that deceleration, not the NIC and certainly not the west pilots. Absent the merger the east career acceleration would have gone all the way down to zero, at least at US and on this seniority list. George Nicolau is a skilled and experienced arbitrator and he crafted a well-reasoned and equitable integrated seniority list that took as many of the variables and factors into reasonable consideration as possible to produce a very fair list and very tenable list. It was and is a compromise position that neither group is perfectly happy with, which is to be expected in an arbitration of this nature.

Regardless of the post-award perceptions, both sides agreed to the process and there is no court in the land that is going to overrule the NIC award if it were ever challenged – which it hasn’t been. On the contrary, the NIC has in fact been imposed by a Federal Court once already and there are at least two scenarios whereby it will be imposed again (Company DJ or DFR II if a non-NIC JCBA is ever ratified). IMO, what should be untenable for the east is to continue on LOA93 in perpetuity without even a glimmer of hope of avoiding the NIC in any future contract.

just because you keep repeating over and over that the NIC was fair does not make it so.
I love the part about crafting a well reasoned and equitable list...

oh and by the way.
your DP says that AWA would be gone as well without the merger.

just because you keep repeating over and over that the NIC was fair does not make it so.

oh and by the way.
Get the quote right. He said that the east would have been gone. The west might have entered BK. Two very different things.

Get the quote right. He said that the east would have been gone. The west might have entered BK. Two very different things.

Some of them can't handle the truth. If Parker would not have saved the day, they would have been on the street. Thanks Doug for handing us their career stagnation , furloughs and downgrades. :angry:

oh and by the way.
Which part of the award wasn’t well-reasoned and equitable? Was it the protection of the 517 WB east positions? Was it the ratio-based integrations where two east pilot seniority positions were protected for every west pilot position? Was it where he conformed to the ALPA merger policy per his obligation or the part where the list was accepted by Management as meeting all of the criteria as was required by the Transition Agreement? In case you aren’t familiar with the award, I’ll list the points and you can explain where the arbitrator wasn’t using reason and equity:
1. No displacement from current position
2. No furlough pilot may bump/displace an active pilot
3. Protecting pilots in training for a new position
4. Protecting the A330 & B767 positions for the east
5. Accounting for replacement AC rather than new AC
6. Allocation of EMB-190 positions per the earlier Eischen Award

Some of them can't handle the truth. If Parker would not have saved the day, they would have been on the street. Thanks Doug for handing us their career stagnation , furloughs and downgrades. :angry:

So, are you saying the lack of growth, furloughs, downgrades and loss of your other crew base on the West are because of the East? Kind of like catching the flu from someone in the office?

You may be on to something there. I have often thought over the years that USAirways might be "snake bit". Possibly some "Voodoo curse".

It would have been nice, had hooking up with the West somehow improved the situation, unfortunately it seems to have just made things worse.

seajay

Which part of the award wasn’t well-reasoned and equitable? Was it the protection of the 517 WB east positions? Was it the ratio-based integrations where two east pilot seniority positions were protected for every west pilot position? Was it where he conformed to the ALPA merger policy per his obligation or the part where the list was accepted by Management as meeting all of the criteria as was required by the Transition Agreement? In case you aren’t familiar with the award, I’ll list the points and you can explain where the arbitrator wasn’t using reason and equity:
1. No displacement from current position
2. No furlough pilot may bump/displace an active pilot
3. Protecting pilots in training for a new position
4. Protecting the A330 & B767 positions for the east
5. Accounting for replacement AC rather than new AC
6. Allocation of EMB-190 positions per the earlier Eischen Award

Windfall and career expecations part of the ALPA merger policy that were violated come to mind...

but does it matter at this point?

You agree with the NIC and we don't... hell ALPA doesn't agree with the NIC, they said it was "problematic".... they just didn't have the guts or the fortitude to say ... wait we need to come up with something better..

What might have been the outcome of a second bankruptcy for the West? Let's see, lowering costs is the primary goal. Outside of "legally" screwing the shareholders and bondholders, the aircraft leases get renegotiated (except for the ones the leaseholders just take back), crew bases get "consolidated" (Dougie did that anyway) and last but not least reduce LABOR costs! Not much to be had here, but the ALPA "save the company" crowd would have given it their best shot.

So the West would have lost their pensions (never-mind), taken a pay cut, changes in work rules, vacation, medical benefits, ect, ect,ect.

Much less painful to spread the losses and hide the lack of profitability on the East, no?

seajay

Windfall and career expecations part of the ALPA merger policy that were violated come to mind...

but does it matter at this point?

You agree with the NIC and we don't... hell ALPA doesn't agree with the NIC, they said it was "problematic".... they just didn't have the guts or the fortitude to say ... wait we need to come up with something better..
I see that you were unable to make a specific claim against the award, but there is no surprise there really. However, the arbitrator deftly addressed both of these issues you cited (two-sides of the same coin really) and ensured that the award did not constitute a windfall for either side and ensured that any detrimental changes to career expectations were minimized. Remember that “windfall” is defined as coming at the expense of the other side. The ratio method of integration buffeted the award from being a windfall in comparison to a staple of one list to the bottom of the other. Also, in protecting the 517WB positions, this ensured that even the most senior west pilot would not have the immediate ability to displace any currently-serving WB positions which legitimately would have been a windfall coming at the expense of the other side. Therefore, no windfall.

Likewise, the detrimental effect on career expectations was minimized via the ratio integration process. The ALPA policy does not call for NO detrimental effect in career expectations; rather it calls for a minimizing of the detrimental effects. So, the question becomes, did the Award minimize the detrimental affects while holding firm to the original objectives as I listed above? The answer, in my opinion, is clearly yes. East pilots were not displaced from their current positions because of the award and continued to have advancement opportunities as may be afforded by a new seniority number that places the pilot in the same relative position as was held before, except that this is now held in a bigger pilot population with both east and west AC fleets to seek opportunities from. Of course if you disagree, you can sue ALPA for an Award that does not meet their SLI policy. Have you done that? Has anyone? Didn’t think so. I’m not sure what the statute of limitations is on suing for this kind of matter, but the east pilots might run out of time before they get to challenge the merits of the Nicolau award if it hasn’t happened already.

Sure the Award is problematic insofar as the east pilots often suffer from reading comprehension and the inability to discern logic and reason. It is also problematic when those who enter into an agreement to use final and binding arbitration to settle disputes do not, in fact, honor the results of final and binding arbitration. I’m sure ALPA leadership was aware of the dearth of character present on the east and knew that the east would require a federal court to force the issue after many millions were spend proving that final and binding means exactly what the term implies. As far as that goes, I’m sure ALPA is glad to have avoided the litigation cost of seeing this through when the east was unwilling to come to terms with reality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back