US Pilots Labor Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just as the East pilots could have accepted the results of the binding arbitration that they agreed to. Could have had a nice raise and would have had their share of the upgrades going forward, but no, you were swayed by the great legal $wami $eeham. He sold you a multimillion dollar scheme that enriches him and his firm and will never get you the Holy Grail DOH list.

You will NEVER EVER see a DOH list on this property. Get used to that. And you willl never recover what you lost financially with your time left on this property working under the current contract.

And as yet, there have been barely a handful of East upgrades due to attrition. Get back to me in DEC 2012 and let me know how the turbo attrition is working out for you then.

Actually, its roughly 150 upgrades on Group II since things bottomed out with the fleet reduction. Of course there is also the movement from reserve to lineholder and narrow body to widebody both captains and first officer. Those numbers increase with every one of your bids. Sounds like a little more than a handful. Sounds like it will be a measure more before DEC 2012 and then a boatload after that.

Actually, its roughly 150 upgrades on Group II since things bottomed out with the fleet reduction. Of course there is also the movement from reserve to lineholder and narrow body to widebody both captains and first officer. Those numbers increase with every one of your bids. Sounds like a little more than a handful. Sounds like it will be a measure more before DEC 2012 and then a boatload after that.

Don't cloud the argument with facts.

Don't cloud the argument with facts.

When you add up the upgrades, the movement from reserve to lineholders those electing to move from narrow body to wide body positions, 30% or more of the East group has seen improvement in pay and schedules do to attrition and that percentage is only going to increase with every bid you guys have. That doesn't seem insignificant.

Just as the East pilots could have accepted the results of the binding arbitration that they agreed to. Could have had a nice raise and would have had their share of the upgrades going forward, but no, you were swayed by the great legal $wami $eeham. He sold you a multimillion dollar scheme that enriches him and his firm and will never get you the Holy Grail DOH list.

You will NEVER EVER see a DOH list on this property. Get used to that. And you willl never recover what you lost financially with your time left on this property working under the current contract.

And as yet, there have been barely a handful of East upgrades due to attrition. Get back to me in DEC 2012 and let me know how the turbo attrition is working out for you then.

blah blah blah, you guys are a freaking broken record... Don't you think if we wanted to do all you say above we would have?

how about this.. the west could of signed on to DOH and we all could of moved forward.... I think not, I wouldn't expect you to...
so lay off telling us what to do. You sound like a f upped parent.

Hey Hey, it's "Mr. my money is on Doug Parker" and you will never be number one in PHX. Well I guess you and I will enjoy what we have now, it's only another 11 years for me here.

When you add up the upgrades, the movement from reserve to lineholders those electing to move from narrow body to wide body positions, 30% or more of the East group has seen improvement in pay and schedules do to attrition and that percentage is only going to increase with every bid you guys have. That doesn't seem insignificant.

30% of the East pilot group would be about 780 pilots. I don't think that many have enjoyed the improvements you suggest.

At USAirways East, you might upgrade to Captain and get a 40% raise but get a commensurate degradation of quality of life under the LOA 93 reserve system.

I don't believe the picture is as rosy as you portray it to be.

10 Most Stressful Jobs of 2011
By David Schepp, Posted Apr 29th 2011 @ 2:20PM
Text Size A A A 761543184924218 CommentsWith most Americans working longer and harder it's likely many workers are feeling more stressed than ever. Add to that the recent jump in gasoline prices and years of meager wage increases, and it's understandable why some people are near wit's end.

That said, some jobs by the very nature are more stressful than others. Whether it's working in a hospital emergency room, trying to sell homes in this economy or piloting aircraft over America's crowded skies, here's look at the 10 most stressful jobs (as compiled by CareerCast.com).

1. Commercial Pilot
Average salary: $106,153

You need look no further than Capt. Chesley "Sully" Sullenberger -- the pilot who two years ago managed to safely landed a plane full of people in the Hudson River -- to get a sense of why piloting jet aircraft can be so stressful. Not only are they expected to get passengers safely to their destination but on time, too -- even when the weather doesn't cooperate.

Hey Hey, it's "Mr. my money is on Doug Parker" and you will never be number one in PHX. Well I guess you and I will enjoy what we have now, it's only another 11 years for me here.

You know luv, you simply don't pay attention. I have told you time after time I am not JS, who by the way is now on the A330. So he doesn't care about being number 1 in PHX unless they happen to open an East A330 base there.

I expect with 11 years left, if you're lucky, you may see a new contract with about 5 years left in your career. Best of luck.

As always, my money is on you!

Happy Anniversary to the Nicolau Award!!! It was 4 years ago on May 1st that WWII Veteran & respected arbitrator George Nicolau handed the now famous "Nicolau Award".

Mr. Nicolau stated the following in the award: There are four basic lessons to be learned from those submissions; that each case turns on its own facts; that the objective it to make the integration fair and equitable; that the proposals advanced by those in contest rarely meet that standard; and that the end result, no matter how crafted, never commands universal acceptance.

Come to think of it, Cleary & Mowrey stated the following: "The only certainty in seniority integration is that the outcome is never certain...Each case presents its own facts and equities, and each requires a resolution tailor-made to the situation presented." (US AIRWAVES, Jan/Feb/Mar 2002). Coincidence? I think not!

Cleary & Mowrey also stated: "The merger representatives shall carefully weigh all the equities inherent in their merger situation...until a fair and equitable agreement is reached," and "The Merger Policy provides that..The Award...shall be final and binding...".

A very special thanks to USAPA and it's supporters for getting to where we are today....NO WHERE (except for your east attrition), No Contract, No Transparency, Highest dues for an independent union, Highest payout to union officers, Over Ten Million dollars in mis-spent legal fees, and the hits just keep on coming!

The NIC was flawed before the process was complete, just check with the Mid Atlantic guys......no equity at all in his dicision because he didn't have all the facts....thanks to ALPA. The problem was that ALPA was so screwed up at that time.....we all wanted them out, and they couldn't even get their act together for the arbritration. Many of us quit paying ALPA dues long before things got this far along.....we all had a "no confidence " vote against ALPA. We finally got enough momentum together to throw them off the property.

Description

Flight 1048 departed the TPA terminal 17 minutes late due to previous delays on this aircraft, N111US. All seemed normal to entire crew during initial taxi out. As we neared the runway for departure, Paul Echegaray, the B FA became concerned of smoke building up within the cabin. He attempted to contact the cockpit via the cabin to cockpit call system. His attempts were unnoticed by us, as we never received the cockpit buzzer. Several passengers remarked later, that they had smelled the smoke too, and thought someone onboard was striking matches.

We were cleared for takeoff, and I relinquished the controls to F/O Tifft, for it was his turn to fly. As we reached rotation speed, I heard over the cabin interphone system (which I was monitoring through my Audio Control Panel [ACP]) the B FA call Courtney Camp, the A FA, and state that the cabin was filling with smoke and he had been unsuccessful in notifying the cockpit. She said that she would try. The A FA later stated that she, also, had attempted to call the cockpit via the cabin to cockpit call system with no success.

As soon as we broke ground, I directed F/O Tifft to continue to fly and take over my duties of ATC communications; that we had possible smoke in the cabin and that I must call them immediately. I rang the A FA via the call system, and as I looked down at the ACP to select "Cabin", I notice that the amber light on the ACP was flashing in the Cabin position, indicating that the cabin had called the cockpit at some time prior. Again, we never received any buzzer from the system. This cabin to cockpit call system had failed at a critical time during this event. Had I not been monitoring the interphone, we might not have known of the smoke for some time later.

The A FA informed me that the cabin was completely filled with dense gray smoke, and that she could not see to the back of the aircraft. I informed her that we would return immediately to KTPA.

I returned my attention back to the cockpit and ordered all occupants to don their oxygen masks (there were 2 jumpseat riders in the cockpit). Once communication was established, I declared an Emergency with the KTPA tower, and requested immediate vectors back to land on runway 19R.

One of the Jumpseat riders, USAIRWAYS F/O Joseph McKee, who is an Airbus Rated pilot, was instrumental in our ability to get the aircraft back around quickly, as he assumed any duties I asked of him. The three of us worked harmoniously throughout the event, and without his expertise and "third set of eyes and hands", this event would not have gone as smoothly as it did. We were on the ground in 9 minutes. Landing was uneventful and overweight by approximately 2000 pounds.

The Fire and Rescue Squad was called to follow the landing roll out, and as we slowed I communicated with them about the integrity of the exterior of the aircraft. The Fire and Rescue captain stated the he observed no smoke on the outside of the aircraft. F/O KcKee made a PA (under my direction) to the passengers to "Remain Seated, Remain Seated). I overheard the FA's talking on the Cabin Interphone that the smoke seemed to be dissipating. I then taxied to Gate F-83. We deplaned the passengers normally through the 1L Entry Door.

There were never any ECAM warnings or cautions throughout the flight regime. It was not until after engine shutdown and company mechanics were onboard that any ECAM messages were displayed. I recall that they were AIR PACK 2 FAULT and AIR PACK 2 OVERHEAT.

It took Crew Scheduling two hours to make a decision to give us hotels in TPA.

At approximately 2200, Flight Attendant Debra Ceccarelli informed me that she needed to go the Emergency Room due to severe headache, buzzing lips and light-headedness. I accompanied Ms. Ceccarelli to the ER and after admission, medicine and fluid administration, she was discharged and we returned to the hotel, arriving at approximately 0030 on the 24th.

Cause

The negative safety culture at USAIRWAYS has struck again, and due the high level of experience and quality of the training department, the corporation has, at least for now, dodged a bazooka once again. I believe that this event happened because of this safety culture, as I believe that corners are being cut in the maintenance component repair department, either by sloppy repair work on or aircraft, or inadequate/illegal parts being utilized during repairs. We at USAIRWAYS are seeing too many of these types of events to not go unnoticed by the pilots. Our Safety Culture Survey brought this to light in BIG BOLD LETTERS, and USAIRWAYS management has yet to believe what the pilots are telling them. Why is it that only our aircraft are experiencing an unprecedented amount of this type of event? Why is the company turning a blind eye to the potential neurological damage they are exposing to their crews and passengers; all the while exclaiming that the known permanent health threats are not happening to us (crewmembers) and claiming that our pilots and flight attendants have not been affected! The passengers on board my aircraft during this event were not informed of this potential health risk-not informed that they were possibly exposed to the neurotoxin tricresylphosphate (TCP) through the contaminated air supply. This neurotoxin causes permanent neurological damage (read the health hazards from inhaling TCP [Guide Number 151, Item 2574] in the Emergency Response Guidebook 2008-the Orange book-carried in the cockpit of all USAIRWAYS aircraft).

Another example of the negative safety culture is the fact that I was not contacted by a pilot manager, i.e., a Chief Pilot, after this incident until I made the calls to communicate with a manager. I was finally called by the PHL Chief Pilot's office an hour and forty minutes after the return to field! Again, after I initiated contact-through the Operations Control Center Duty Manager! Crew scheduling was immediately in contact with me attempting to reschedule us for more flying! There is such a disconnect from the crewmembers and management; such an incredulous disrespect and ignorance toward our duties and responsibilities.

After discussing this event with the Bridge at OCC, I was informed that the aircraft was signed off as airworthy and would be flying revenue the next day WITHOUT A TEST FLIGHT BY CHECK PILOTS! That is absurd! Where is the oversight?

SUGGESTIONS

I suggest a complete (and serious) review by management of the safety culture at USAIRWAYS, including re-staffing of the individuals responsible for the negative atmosphere toward the crewmembers. The culture here at USAIRWAYS is such that there is a huge potential for a major accident in the future.

It is apparent that the company is not in tune with our concerns, nor using our skills and observations to make this airline SAFE for the flying, unaware, public. There is NO concern for our safety; only profits for the board of directors and upper management. The time has come for this airline to change the culture and be a part of a team for safety, excellence and respect. The end result just may astonish them!

I'm confused. We've been hearing how great the East folks are doing financially - pay checks, PBGC checks, military pension checks, income from careers on the side. All the East pilots are supposedly just flying for the fun of it - LOA 93 means nothing but more pocket change to them.

Now the strike prep committee says...

"We are enduring an unprecedented level of stress right now. For many of us, bankruptcy, foreclosure, divorce and even suicide are now a part of the vocabulary of being a pilot at US Airways."

How on earth could the East pilots, rolling in money, be facing those things?

Jim

"We are enduring an unprecedented level of stress right now. For many of us, bankruptcy, foreclosure, divorce and even suicide are now a part of the vocabulary of being a pilot at US Airways."

I nomally wouldn't inject myself into pilot matters but ...
Bankruptcy, forclosure, divorce, SUICIDE? They are literally saying US Airways is driving their pilots to these measures?

Drama queens.

If it is that bad, get another job, simple as that. I know, senority, lines held, etc., but USAPA is literally claiming it is a matter of life and death? The pilots marriages, finances, etc. are ALL the fault of US Airways? It is called LOA 93 people. It was negoaited in 2003 or 2004 (eight years ago)? It can't be that much of a shock what you are earning.

Move on or get used to it. If you truely believe you are that important and provide value to an airline, go apply to Virgin America and see what you get. Reality awaits ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back