IAM Stepping Up campaign

Status
Not open for further replies.
my conclusion and what is both logical and obvious is that the NWn football case has nothing to do with the airline industry or DL. 

WorldTraveler said:
not sure of the connection you are trying to make to DL and the airline industry but yes it is a VERY interesting case.

It also brings into play a whole lot of questions about college athletics.... and the bigger question is how universities will react if they have to start negotiating with students..... after all, the whole point of athletes is to get in/out of school fairly quickly.
Just shows how screwed up the higher education system is in this country and confirms that is an industry like anyother. IMO the schools are too focused on athletics, elaborate facilities that drive up the costs of attendance for everyone. As for student athletes I think the opportunity to attend school on a scholarship is enough but all this we present is a boon for organized labor and shift the focus away from education and research.

Josh

737823 said:
Just shows how screwed up the higher education system is in this country and confirms that is an industry like anyother. IMO the schools are too focused on athletics, elaborate facilities that drive up the costs of attendance for everyone. As for student athletes I think the opportunity to attend school on a scholarship is enough but all this we present is a boon for organized labor and shift the focus away from education and research.

Josh

I agree with you 1000% and think the system of using student athletes to drive enormous funding for the school deserves correction ... and unions might well be justified but I'm still not sure what it has to do with airlines or DL. 

WorldTraveler said:

I agree with you 1000% and think the system of using student athletes to drive enormous funding for the school deserves correction ... and unions might well be justified but I'm still not sure what it has to do with airlines or DL. 
Nothing, but in 700's world, anything with the word "union" is of foremost importance, why I bet he's an expert in set theory..

737823 said:
Just shows how screwed up the higher education system is in this country and confirms that is an industry like anyother. IMO the schools are too focused on athletics, elaborate facilities that drive up the costs of attendance for everyone. As for student athletes I think the opportunity to attend school on a scholarship is enough...

On the above text, we (more or less) agree, though I would say that protection in the case of injury and the like is certainly important as well, and IIRC that is type of thing the players are pushing for as opposed to what most of us would consider a salary.

The only "boon" is see for organized labor here is an interesting spark for discussion(s) that may now take place.

interesting indeed but still has nothing to do with DL or the airline industry.

I'll file this part of the thread when the accusations of thread drift are thrown around since I don't have one of those  "OFF TOPIC" pics at hand.

• Banned
  • #1,164
WorldTraveler said:
interesting indeed but still has nothing to do with DL or the airline industry.

I'll file this part of the thread when the accusations of thread drift are thrown around since I don't have one of those  "OFF TOPIC" pics at hand.
You are the king of taking things off topic, is that too hard for you to comprehend?

Did you buy the boards and become the owner/moderator?

nope... I am simply noting what you seem to think you have the right to do. 

Were you the owner of the board when you were throwing those "off topic" pics around?

• Banned
  • #1,167
10171134_243084749212852_697905157_n.jpg

yep that increase will quickly go out the door with the medical..   meanwhile  the pilots will be enjoying bigger lunches dinners etc thanks to their bigger pay checks with their increases....   it pays to have a union than to be an employee at will

Interestingly (or not), this pay restoration came & went very quietly. Usually the company makes great hay about these sorts of "good news stories," but not this time...

robbedagain said:
yep that increase will quickly go out the door with the medical..   meanwhile  the pilots will be enjoying bigger lunches dinners etc thanks to their bigger pay checks with their increases....   it pays to have a union than to be an employee at will
Indeed.

Good on the pilots & dispatchers, though; you get what you negotiate...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back