IAM Stepping Up campaign

Status
Not open for further replies.
kev  thats great to hear  itll be even much better when we hear the NMB declare that the IAM is to be the new representative for DL employees..   just like Spirit Air

Not on here, I'm not.

And really, the working conditions ramp employees have now do far more to drive card signings than any activist could ever hope for.

I'm off to run errands. One of which is to mail in more cards.

Have fun...

P.S. Nice dodge, BTW...
if you think that the working conditions that DL employees have, then you are undoubtedly way out of touch with what it means to actually work for a living in the US or any other industrialized country.

I know you are well read about the labor movement and often cite the New York Times, but I believe it was May 19 in which the NYT had a front page story about New York University's Abu Dhabi complex and the horrible labor standards that the employees who built that facility worked under even while NYU had an extensive policy about worker rights.

In the same issue, there were articles about Switzerland's rejection of minimum wage regulations as well as the labor movement's inability to push its agenda thru one statehouse after another in the US.

As much as you want to believe otherwise, the world increasingly recognizes the value of the free enterprise movement to create jobs. Clearly the NYU story highlights the hypocrisy of big business to enforce its own policies but to somehow argue that you as a DL employee are subjected to anything less than well above average working conditions in the US is really a stretch.

Perhaps if you actually worked a few years in the world outside of DL, you might realize how good you actually have it and how many people would love to have the opportunity to have your job.

have a great day!

• Banned
  • #2,238
1003079_474214299375128_8514536665181954862_n.jpg

nobody said otherwise, at least if you are referring to DL.

But those who think they can improve on something MUST consider the environment in which they work including their pay, benefits, and work rules both within the industry and within American business as a whole.

All the platitudes in the world about how difficult the environment is at DL and how much it can be improved are meaningless when your negotiators are sitting across the table from the company who tells labor that they have as good of a package as they are going to get.

The vast majority of DL employees know full well that they have a very attractive pay and benefits package and working environment compared to the majority of American workers as well as US airline peers.

When you factor in how poorly labor unions have been at improving pay, benefits, work rules, and job security relative to DL employees at the other airlines which other are represented by labor, it is hard to argue they can do something at DL which they cannot do for their present employees.

To argue that a labor union can dramatically move the environment forward has to be measured against comparisons to other workers and an honest assessment of whether it can be improved.

The vast majority of DL employees have consistently come to the conclusion that what they have is not that bad and isn't likely to be improved - and they have therefore consistently rejected further unionization.

Kev3188 said:
Who gives the Pope a red arrow?Tough crowd...

700UW said:
It would have to be one of three:

WT
Dooshie
Southwind

robbedagain said:
Choice A is my first pick! I cleared it for ya 700!
It was me. I vote down based on the content of the post, not the poster or medium it is delivered. Sorry but the pope is nothing but a political figure, I am free to disagree as I see fit. Have to ask the Catholic Church has never really been a ally of organized labor have they? Don't teachers unions loathe parochial schools for their use of nuns and other unrepresented personnel,

Josh

thank you for letting us know of your actions, Josh. I can respect your view just as I do of anyone.

Although I am not Catholic, the Pope is an incredibly influential leader from a religious perspective and Pope Francis could be one of the most significant in moving the Papacy than has occurred in centuries.

I also can't help but notice that those who were convinced it was me are once again wrong as they have so often been. their emotional reaction to everything that I discuss is, as Kev says, duly noted.

well WT  im glad josh admitted  and i was wrong  as i thought it would of been you.  so now you know i admit i was wrong.  but i definitely do agree with you the Pope is very very influential person  and very  much a people person

thank you for being willing to admit you were wrong.

I respect you for showing that kind of maturity.

Anyone who is willing to make the world a better place is a winner. And the Pope is definitely committed to doing more of what he has done which has been to very positively influence Latin society.

and yet to Josh's point, the Catholic Church is an institution and the head of any institution is subject to criticism.

• Banned
  • #2,245
737823 said:

It was me. I vote down based on the content of the post, not the poster or medium it is delivered. Sorry but the pope is nothing but a political figure, I am free to disagree as I see fit. Have to ask the Catholic Church has never really been a ally of organized labor have they? Don't teachers unions loathe parochial schools for their use of nuns and other unrepresented personnel,

Josh
Guess you have no idea of the connection of organized labor and religion.

Let me give you a hint, the church and other religions have been big supports of labor unions.

What was Reverend Martin Luther King Jr doing when he was assassinated?

I have walked the picket lines in Detroit with the striking newspaper workers and the Bishop of the archdiocese and rabbis were out there right along with us.

How can you be so wrong again?

http://www.pubtheo.com/page.asp?pid=1413

Here is just one excerpt from the article:

Jewish Labor Committee

The Jewish Labor Committee was founded in 1934 by leaders of the International Ladies' Garment Workers' Union, the Amalgamated Clothing Workers of America, the Workmen?s Circle, the Jewish Daily Forward Association, and other kindred groups to challenge the rise of Nazism in Europe. In the 1950's, the Committee's focus changed to fight prejudice and discrimination among American workers. The Committee established 25 local committees to combat intolerance around the United States and Canada. These committees worked closely with local labor and other community groups to develop multi-ethnic and interreligious solidarity among workers and within the larger community. Since that time, the Committee has evolved into a permanently established community relations and worker advocacy organization.

Jewish religious and cultural traditions demand an attitude of fairness toward workers and an active commitment to social justice. This imperative has led many to take an active role in programs and policies that lead to more just and equitable society, such as the struggle to organize or to secure adequate wages and working conditions. American Jews and the American labor movement have been close allies for many years, with a shared commitment to pursuing a just, fair, and stable community and society
The Catholic Worker Movement

The Catholic Worker movement began in the 1930's with the creation of the Catholic Worker newspaper. Dorothy Day and Peter Maurin, started the paper to advocate for social change and raise Catholic consciousness of the religious ideals that provided the foundation for that change. The Catholic Worker Movement viewed unions as a legitimate and helpful way to ensure justice for workers. Many Catholic Workers joined strikers on picket lines, organized consumer boycotts, served as third party mediators between workers and management, and helped unions organize many kinds of workers.

The Catholic Workers' biggest involvement with labor came during the 1936-1937 New York Maritime strike. During the strike, Catholic Workers set up a special Catholic Worker headquarters on the docks where they provided strikers with food and shelter.

Former Catholic Workers, Fathers Carl Hensler, Charles Owen Rice, and Jerome Drolet made great contributions to CIO organizing, especially among Catholics in Pittsburgh and New Orleans. John Cort, a one-time Catholic Worker, founded the Association of Catholic Trade Unionists (ACTU), an organization of Catholic workers that was actively supportive of the trade union movement. The Catholic journal, Christian Front, later known as Christian Social Action, was also founded by former Catholic Workers who were supportive of the labor movement. Catholic Worker houses in Baton Rouge, Houston, and elsewhere continue to be actively involved in building ties with labor.
 Gee guess you never heard of John Paul II and Lech Walesa and the birth of Solidarity?

John Paul II's example encouraged other leading church authorities, such as the Czech Cardinal Frantisek Tomasek, to become fierce critics of Communism. His visit also inspired an unemployed electrician named Lech Walesa to form in 1980 the Soviet Union's first and only trade union—Solidarity—that in the words of French political scientist Alain Besancon gave the Poles back "the private ownership of their tongues." Soviet authorities feared Solidarity could undermine Soviet power, and the Warsaw Pact planned an invasion and mass arrest of Solidarity's leaders. John Paul II intervened by writing directly to Soviet president Leonid Brezhnev, giving his support to Solidarity and warning against the consequences of such an action. While this only delayed a crackdown, the pope had set a precedent. In 1989, when Solidarity swept available seats in a semi-free election, no one doubted who to credit for the moral fiber that had held the party together.

http://labornotes.org/2014/05/labor-priests-reviving-social-justice-teachings-action

Once again, dont let the facts get in your way!

I understand just fine, that's why last week I challenged Bears when he said there was zero Jewish involvement in the labor movement:

Know THIS, about the 4 groups your pontificating about.

The Irish and Italians were RIGHT from a solidarity standpoint to be wary of the Jews and blacks.
Who-the-helll would want ANY person regardless of ethnicity or race who would sell out HARD fought for gains ?
(speaking in general terms) The Jews have NO outstanding positive history of fighting for organizational Rights, NONE/NADA/EL-ZIPPO.
Josh

• Banned
  • #2,247
737823 said:

Josh

737823 said:
I understand just fine, that's why last week I challenged Bears when he said there was zero Jewish involvement in the labor movement:

Josh
Its quite apparent you dont understand, your own posts shows this.

• Banned
  • #2,249
You are simply a pos, you cant even admit when you are wrong.

This isnt about AFT or the NEA, you posted how religion and organized labor didnt have a relationship, once again I proved you wrong.

Just keep adding your fraud, lies and misinformation.

So funny you are suddenly jumping on religion because whenever I have asked you said you didn't like having it imposed on you. But I see when it suits your agenda you conveniently stand behind it.

Josh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back