IAM Stepping Up campaign

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kev3188 said:
Why would you discourage democracy in the workplace? Anything less than 100% participation should be seen as a disappointment.
How am I discouraging democracy by stating that my belief is, the only way the IAM is getting in, is by the "NO" votes not showing up to vote!

The last time they tried to get in, "After the voting rule change", the majority actually had to vote "NO" rather than "No Show" equaling a no vote, which I believe, should be the norm anyways!

If I want a union I will cast my vote. If I don't, I will not show up and should be automatically cast as a "NO"!

Why should I take time, out of my day, to vote on something that doesn't interest me?

remember it was DL that championed the change for the vote to appease DL  and not the ones who wanted union.     Kev when I was traveling thru ATL on my return trip there were more of the pro IAM FAs than my previous trip the week before..   It sounds like theres a lot of momentum going fwd.  

fyi... the main FA on my first flight out which was on an MD88 was also the lead FA on the A319 out of ATL   I thought that was real interesting   Guess she qualified for both  aircraft types

Thanks, Baba.

FWIW, I can tell you that gray work rules- and the consistently inconsistent application of the ones we have- is driving huge numbers of cards on the ACS side.

Same story with ignoring seniority, lack of any sort of "real" safety committee(s) and/or enforcement, and staffing.

Summer's gonna be brutal for all of us.

...Or you put a structure in place to mitigate as much of that as possible.

Why would you discourage democracy in the workplace? Anything less than 100% participation should be seen as a disappointment.
Kev,
thanks for your perspective as an active DL employee. It is welcome.

Summer is always brutal. People usually forget how bad it is by the 3rd week of October when profits for the 3rd quarter are out. The 3rd week of July provides a shot in the arm to keep going for another 5 weeks or so of summer.

IT will be the same this summer. DL employees should haul in some hefty profit sharing esp. given that analysts are saying DL could be headed for an unheard of $4B profit for the year.

as for the disruptions and swings in the industry, much of those have long been the source of the boom and bust environment in the industry and often related to the failure of the industry to manage capacity. Fewer carriers make that possible today as hasn't been the case in decades. But there are issues like problems at other carriers that will shift demand to other carriers and external issues such as labor shortages (RJ pilots) and the typical fuel cost issues that can raise their head.

We haven't seen a fuel shock for quite some time but if one happens, the value of the refinery will become more apparent than it is now when DL appears set to continue to maintain a couple percent price fuel cost advantage at the least over its peers.

DL's mgmt. team has done more to get rid of the causes that have created the boom and bust in the industry than probably any airline mgmt. team ever has. The whole debt reduction strategy is yet another. When there is a major external shock (Russia, N. Korea, who knows) and DL has $10 billion less debt than its peers, it will become apparent how much differently DL is being run than other carriers.

On another note, I would be curious as to how you believe DL is cutting corners or not promoting a safety culture. You can throw in the inconsistency on other issues if you would like but the safety aspect particularly intrigues me.

and, yes, DL has long cross-trained FAs on all active aircraft types as part of the operational efficiency and flexibility that gives DL advantages over its peers.

I agree with you that any democratic process should have maximum participation but it is also worth noting that there will always be those who don't participate and DL was very successful in arguing to its employees of the necessity of voting after the rule changes went into effect and there were many people who had never bothered to vote who then did so.

700UW said:
You do realize you vote by phone or internet?

Why doesnt the IAM hold ratification votes online or by phone?  DL or LL elections too?  Because as it is they structure the elections to limit as many people from participating as they can, like holding nominations right at shift change and only allowing one day for voting.  Not exactly democratic.

Josh

WorldTraveler said:
On another note, I would be curious as to how you believe DL is cutting corners or not promoting a safety culture. You can throw in the inconsistency on other issues if you would like but the safety aspect particularly intrigues me.
I'll just say that the theory espoused rarely matches the theory in use.

You can take that to cover just about any working condition you want: GSE, proper training, staffing, self-reporting, and on, and on...

and, yes, DL has long cross-trained FAs on all active aircraft types as part of the operational efficiency and flexibility that gives DL advantages over its peers.
So did NW.

... DL was very successful in arguing to its employees of the necessity of voting
~2k eligible employees sat on their hands during the fleet service vote. That's not a success, that's disgusting.

737823 said:
Why doesnt the IAM hold ratification votes online or by phone?  DL or LL elections too?  Because as it is they structure the elections to limit as many people from participating as they can, like holding nominations right at shift change and only allowing one day for voting.  Not exactly democratic.

Josh
That was never my experience at all. We did not have phone or net voting (FWIW, I fought for and lost that battle*), but the hall was open almost the entire day (before sunrise to quite late), and absentee ballots were always an option as well.

* This was more a demographic issue than anything.

You advocacy of anti-democratic (and anti worker) policies is duly noted.

Please continue to post.

Never once said I was anti worker, just anti-union and please don't say they're one in the same......they're not!

• Banned
  • #2,008
You are anti-union and worker, you hate unions, you hate the IAM and US employees, you even made comments on how flight attendants looked.

700UW said:
You are anti-union and worker, you hate unions, you hate the IAM and US employees, you even made comments on how flight attendants looked.
Not anti-worker, but then again apparently you speak for me and know how I feel and what I think. Yes the US F/As are old and disgruntled on the TLV route.  The DL JFK route the F/As are much better, especially the speakers.  Read about the fine service Carolyn and Ms. Peggy delivered:

http://boardingarea.com/onemileatatime/2013/11/01/us-airways-envoy-class-review/

Josh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back