IAM Stepping Up campaign

Status
Not open for further replies.
737823 said:
Doesn't NK already more or less have AS type ramp operations with many stations contracted? Maybe this will play out like at UA for sCO PCE and they will show the newly organized the value of being union and come back with little to no scope.

Josh

Outside of FLL, I couldn't tell you where they have their own people. Maybe DTW? ACY still?

Kev3188 said:
Outside of FLL, I couldn't tell you where they have their own people. Maybe DTW? ACY still?
No clue never flown them before but I believe they use USAIR gates at Logan not sure if they have their own personnel or not.

Josh

Kev3188 said:

Nothing too dramatic:

What you are  seeing out on the line.
What the mood in your base is.
For those you know who are pro labor, what's driving it? 
For those that aren't, what's driving that?
In your opinion, does your FSM "cause" card signing(s), or not?

IOW, just some perspective. 
In my base and from what I'm experiencing, no one really  talks about it.  You only know where some f/a's stand by their wearing of the
"flying D" pin or the IAM pins.  But I do hear a few comments here and there. But really not much.  I believe those who are continuing to 
push for the IAM are those who previously had a Contract and continue to want to hold onto that "piece of paper".  I  believe the majority of 
the "fighting" is OUTSIDE of inflight.  Those outside who want to get in for one reason or another  JMO but its all about $$.
Not to say those who support the IAM don't have their legitimate reasons.   The "Driving" forces as I mentioned for a Union is so they have
a signed contract.  Black and white work rules. the thought is our work rules are gray. Also Pay.  The thought by many is that we as F/A's  should be industry leading  and not industry 
standard.  Staffing also is a Major issue.  There were extreme shortages last summer and downright abuse (a bit legal) of f/a's regarding re-routes.
Many feel and quite frankly myself include on this, is that this Summer may also be painful in that regard.  As far as  
FSM "causing" anyone to sign a card?  I'm not sure of what exactly you mean.  As far as the many who don't want a Union, I believe it is 
the same reason as it has always been.  The history of Delta and the F/A population has always been good.  Even during the bad times, the 
f/a has always made out better, if not the same as our peers all without having to pay a third party.  

BABABOOY said:
In my base and from what I'm experiencing, no one really  talks about it.  You only know where some f/a's stand by their wearing of the
"flying D" pin or the IAM pins.  But I do hear a few comments here and there. But really not much.  I believe those who are continuing to 
push for the IAM are those who previously had a Contract and continue to want to hold onto that "piece of paper".  I  believe the majority of 
the "fighting" is OUTSIDE of inflight.  Those outside who want to get in for one reason or another  JMO but its all about $$.
Not to say those who support the IAM don't have their legitimate reasons.   The "Driving" forces as I mentioned for a Union is so they have
a signed contract.  Black and white work rules. the thought is our work rules are gray. Also Pay.  The thought by many is that we as F/A's  should be industry leading  and not industry 
standard.  Staffing also is a Major issue.  There were extreme shortages last summer and downright abuse (a bit legal) of f/a's regarding re-routes.
Many feel and quite frankly myself include on this, is that this Summer may also be painful in that regard.  As far as  
FSM "causing" anyone to sign a card?  I'm not sure of what exactly you mean.  As far as the many who don't want a Union, I believe it is 
the same reason as it has always been.  The history of Delta and the F/A population has always been good.  Even during the bad times, the 
f/a has always made out better, if not the same as our peers all without having to pay a third party.  

I think I can hear 700 crying about now...

an accurate summary that doesn't paint everything as a bed of roses but also is based on the reality that even union airlines have issues which unions can't fix.

Even DL's pilots are gearing up for a tough summer in part because DL is adding capacity back because regional carriers are looking more iffy and in part because the market is there and Dl can make money by adding capacity - in part because of stronger industry dynamics and in part because of problems at other carriers such as UA.

That revenue positive environment could end very quickly and then the pendulum swings back to where people are looking for job protections. sometimes you just have to accept that nothing is ever going to be completely right and anyone that promises they can make it that way are not really based in reality.

BABABOOY said:
The above doesn't bode well for 700's union push, at a company he has nothing to do with!

Looks like the IAM's only hope is that the NO votes stay home. Of course, that's what they expected last time and it blew up in their face!

• Banned
  • #1,989
The great thing is neither you nor WT will have a vote or a say in what happens.

mY5XDbgJVm-NvDcJR_uHGMg.jpg

unionyeslogo.gif

BABABOOY said:
Thanks, Baba.

FWIW, I can tell you that gray work rules- and the consistently inconsistent application of the ones we have- is driving huge numbers of cards on the ACS side.

Same story with ignoring seniority, lack of any sort of "real" safety committee(s) and/or enforcement, and staffing.

Summer's gonna be brutal for all of us.

WorldTraveler said:
That revenue positive environment could end very quickly and then the pendulum swings back to where people are looking for job protections. sometimes you just have to accept that nothing is ever going to be completely right and anyone that promises they can make it that way are not really based in reality.
...Or you put a structure in place to mitigate as much of that as possible.

southwind said:
Looks like the IAM's only hope is that the NO votes stay home.
Why would you discourage democracy in the workplace? Anything less than 100% participation should be seen as a disappointment.

Kev3188 said:
Why would you discourage democracy in the workplace? Anything less than 100% participation should be seen as a disappointment.

Not for the IAM...they want to win and have the right to collect dues from DL.  Dues first, quality of representation comes second as we have seen at other carriers.

Josh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back