What a Shame !

Glenn Quagmire said:

Wrong

On July 12, the Obama Administration released a policy directive from the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) rewriting the successful welfare reform law of 1996. The 1996 reform restructured the largest federal cash welfare program, Aid to Families with Dependent Children (AFDC), by inserting work requirements and renamed the program Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF). As a result of the reform, within five years welfare rolls decreased by approximately 50 percent and child poverty dropped precipitously.

The Obama Administration’s new directive allows states to waive the TANF work requirement, gutting the reform of its most critical element and bludgeoning the letter and intent of the law.

In establishing welfare reform, Congress made the core work requirements of the TANF program mandatory and non-waiveable; it explicitly protected the work requirements from any future Administration that might wish to weaken them.

If Congress had wanted HHS to be able to waive the TANF work requirements laid out in section 407, it would have listed that section as waiveable under section 1115. It did not. The HHS action to waive the TANF work requirement blatantly violates the intent and letter of the law.

However, since 1996 TANF work requirements have been weakened, as liberals in Congress have blocked reauthorization of the reform law and states have used loopholes to get around the work requirement. Now, the Obama Administration’s directive guts the work requirement, rendering the definition of “work” virtually meaningless.
http://www.heritage.org/research/reports/2012/08/obama-administration-ends-welfare-reform-as-we-know-it

Welfare Reform's Work Requirements Cannot be Waived

La Li Lu Le Lo said:
Estimates are a funny thing, this is not an estimate, It is a hard number that has been verified. It is not guessed at it is counted.
You are the one who said you don't pay attention to polls and statistics.

You do realize that statistics are hard numbers, don't you?

Glenn Quagmire said:
You are the one who said you don't pay attention to polls and statistics.

I thought you were an educated man Glenn. Statistics are NOT hard numbers.  

I would have thought someone that went to (some) law school and had an MBA would know that. I am not trying to degrade your education but, I would think someone that was trained in business would know how sampling works.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Statistics

Glenn Quagmire said:
I do not support generational welfare dependency

Then why do you support lifelong government programs with no conditions? If you make it easy and comfortable for someone to be a mooch they will be a mooch.

This is not a new problem, and the concept to fix it is not new either.

Benjamin-Franklin-The-Poor.jpg

Would you rather lead and drive the poor out of poverty, or would you rather see generation after generation be a drain on the American taxpayer?

Let me start with saying that one does not get any degree using Wikipedia as a source for anything. In fact, in most colleges, it can cause you to be dismissed.

If you knew anything about research, you would understand how important statistics are to any field. I am just going to assume you know how statistics are derived.

You would also do well to tone down your rhetoric. Calling people stupid and "libtard" when they don't agree with your political stance is juvenile. Some of what I have done with you is no better.

I have decided to stop with the belittling of you. Just know that I disagree with most of what you stand for, and I will no longer engage in partisan bickering. It does nothing but waste bandwidth and, no doubt, irritate.

Carry on.

Glenn Quagmire said:
Let me start with saying that one does not get any degree using Wikipedia as a source for anything. In fact, in most colleges, it can cause you to be dismissed.
I know that. I can use other sources that one was just convenient at the time. That does not change the fact that statistics work off of sampling and are simply a projection. NOT HARD NUMBERS. A report about the number of people on disability IS a HARD number,

Glenn Quagmire said:
If you knew anything about research, you would understand how important statistics are to any field. I am just going to assume you know how statistics are derived.
http://www.fao.org/docrep/003/x6831e/x6831e04.htm
The collected data are condensed and useful information extracted through techniques of statistical inference.

Again INFERRED. Not hard numbers.

Glenn Quagmire said:
You would also do well to tone down your rhetoric. Calling people stupid and "libtard" when they don't agree with your political stance is juvenile. Some of what I have done with you is no better.
Sounds reasonable to me. Maybe we can call a truce. That only leaves 700UW and MS Tree. I can honestly say at least I have not caught you in an outright lie like the other two I frequently "disagree" with.

Glenn Quagmire said:
I have decided to stop with the belittling of you. Just know that I disagree with most of what you stand for, and I will no longer engage in partisan bickering.
Sounds good to me I am getting tired of it myself. I can also say I disagree with most of what you stand for to. I think we can engage in partisan conversations but maybe we could tone it down a bit.

Statisticians are invaluable to society as are statistical process control and methods in business.

Statisticians give the leaders of the world's business and government the data they use daily in decision making.

You would do well to learn more about it/them.

I learned what I needed to write my papers and thesis. I have always been great with math, especially trig and calculus. But stats, I hated. I love poring over them, but calculating them, not so much.

Glenn Quagmire said:
You would do well to learn more about it/them.
I know they don't result in hard numbers after they are calculated. I know they use sampling to project trends.

I actually frequently converse with someone (a PhD) from New Zealand who does statistics and probability tables for his government to help with city planning and population growth. I have talked with him about this topic at length. I know it can be a useful tool, but it can NEVER generate an exact number. The numbers are also dependent on variables staying somewhat consistent over time, which of course we both know never happens in the real world.

You are telling me I need to learn about them but YOU are the one that stated statistics use hard numbers...... and they don't, not after they are calculated and presented.

Glenn Quagmire said:
Umm no, they are not.

With what does one use to calculate statistics?

It sounds like we (those of us who have studied and get paid for our knowledge and use of it) have different definitions.

That would be the correct one, and the one you choose to use.

Back