Union Information Meetings

I have no bad feelings over it - you folks were far more underpaid than us, you needed the bump in wages much than we did, although we were all underpaid the CSR's were not making a living wage. They were suffering while Dougie prospered from it. Most important of all I have not forgotten that when the merger was first announced the CSR committee gave us a couple of days of thier time to try and make a push on our contract. So there is no ill feelings or resentment here, just trying to point out to some of your folks that they are not the red-headed stepchild in this process. We are all Teamsters and that makes us FAMILY. And that is something that the company hates, when we stand together. So congradulations on the raise sister and good luck on the rest of the process, if there is anyway that I can help just let me know, we are in it together.
Brother, its nice to know that you are a part of this FAMILY. This is my first go as a TEAMSTER and the solidarity is the best part! Walking the long walk together will get us thru this turmoil. I appreciate knowing the support goes both ways! I will keep looking to see how your negotiations are progressing.

[phxmama...thanks for sharing...kao and crew appreciate it!
Thanks,KAO. I know it was not well written but wanted to post asap. Due to its lengh I did not add info on grievance procedures. We are included under the CWA portion during the transition. I have copies of the grievance procedure and will send if wanted to anyone, just pm with address. These were handed out with a copy of the payscale and the transition agreement.(I can send these also.) The most important point to get across to CSRs would be you need to be disciplined within 30 days of n occurrence. A note in your mailbox to see your sup is not sufficient. They need to address you in person, so IMO, let them be responsbile to find you. Also, if you are disciplined and do not agree you have 5 days to file grievance in writing. CSRs need to know who your stewards are and how to access them. This will help to quickly address the issue. If I think of anything else I will post.

This is info from the meetings held...it applies to any HP CSR or REZ or others within that group....The summary was written by one the PHX Shop Stewards...

I attended the informational meeting on Wednesday, Jan. 18, 2006 in Tempe, Arizona and wanted to let everyone know, it was well worth your time. For those of you who haven't been involved in the Union, please take the time to get acquainted with your local stewards and pick their brains for as much information as you can.

The first issue that was discussed was why we went with the CWA contract. Dan Smith, Business Agent explained it very well. In a nutshell, we really didn't have a lot of choice. The Company did not want to recognize the alliance (IBT/CWA) unless we were willing to go with the CWA contract. In return for that, IBT negotiated the "Pay Parity" and Interim Agreement. That is the condensed version and if you want the long version, please call Dan or attend the next informational meeting, when it is scheduled. Obviously, nothing is perfect but at this stage the company and the negotiating team are talking and things are moving along.

Seniority obviously is a big issue and each station should have a seniority list posted. Very shortly (within the week) you will receive a package in the mail from IBT and in that package will be a form for you to fill out, if you have an issue regarding your seniority. This is the time to protest it. If you choose to do nothing, nothing will be done. A fence agreement has been negotiated and the fence begins on Feb. 1, 2006. This means, anyone transferring into Pax Service (including Reservations, Vacations, Catering Security and the various field stations) must do so by January 31, 2006 to retain their seniority. After that, once you transfer into the Pax Service work group, your seniority will begin at the time of your transfer. In other words, whatever prior years you worked for AWA will not be counted.

Other issues that the Negotiating Team will be discussing are: Holidays, Day Trades, Sick Pay, Vacation Pay and Defining the Work Week. We are hoping that the company will agree to what we ask and will sign a letter of agreement.

Health insurance is another big issue and this is also being discussed with the company. Obviously, more to follow.

There will be a title change for the SSR's and they will become CCS (Customer Service Supervisors). I will not get into their job description because I haven't seen it. However, I believe their positions will remain essentially the same. Although the word Supervisor is in their title, they can not discipline an agent. Remember we are part of the same work group and we are equal. CSS's will be entitled to an incentive of $.57 per hour.

We did discuss union dues and when we were going to have to start paying them and for now there is not an answer. At the earliest we could start paying dues this summer after receiving the second pay increase, or possibly not until we have reached pay parity. If I find out anything more definite, I'll let you know.

One thing everyone should be aware of is that we now have 5 days to file a grievance rather than the 10 days we previously had. Also, if the company has an issue with you, I.e., you missed a mando training, you must be notified 30 days from the occurrence. The company cannot wait 3 months and then issue you a IC and/or CAD. If you have questions, please contact your Steward. There is a lot more information and you should be aware of it. Go to http://www.flyteamsters.org/ or http://www.cwa.net/ for more information. There is also a information line you can call at 1-800-208-3089.

Everyone should read the Interim Agreement. Remember, that is what we are currently working under. The Negotiating Team will continue to meet with the company and we will eventually be working under the CWA contract but right now, it is the Interim Agreement. There is a lot to absorb and we aren't going to just get it immediately but it is up to each of us to educate ourselves. Remember, the more you know, the more prepared you are and the more prepared you are, the less management can put over on you. Know your rights and if in doubt, contact your local steward.

If you have any questions and/or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact me, your local steward, business agent and/or any of the members of the negotiating team.

Back