AFA PHL Meeting today

I am on reserve, have been on reserve nearly all of my 16 + years here. NO way would I vote for a rotating reserve, when an if I ever get a block, I do not want to rotate back into reserve.

Well, that is a sucky attitude.

With oil prices the way they are, what are you going to do if they decide to cut back on the fleet?

You are in CLT I assume and more and more people are coming into CLT. Without a rotating reserve, you will never see a block if we cut the fleet.

Well, that is a sucky attitude.

With oil prices the way they are, what are you going to do if they decide to cut back on the fleet?

You are in CLT I assume and more and more people are coming into CLT. Without a rotating reserve, you will never see a block if we cut the fleet.
Maybe so, but I am at home. I have options, transfer to PHL hold a primary line, (which wouldnt benefit some of the reserves who are vocal on this board), quit or sit at home and collect 73 hrs, and fly 1-3 day ETB. It really would suck to have 20 years and still be a reserve, until this airline has growth or they are able to trim the seniority list from the top I may still be on reserve 4 yrs from now. At least I am at home. Its tolerable.

While I am in NO way an advocate of this reserve system I will say that it is a bit easier on a flight attendant if they live in base. Not saying it's right but those that DO sit around are HOME and then do an etb 1, 2, or 3 day and they have a pretty decent check. Not many would admit it vocally and again I'm not saying I'm content with the current system. I have heard this from quite a few flight attendants though. I do think that rotating reserve would be nice BUT for the simple fact that you have those that teeter back and fourth between reserve and block. Someone made a good point in that if you are one of those flight attendants that already hold a block between spring and summer would YOU want to give that up knowing how hellish it IS on reserve? It will never pass in any way shape or form. With that being said they need to concentrate on making a fair system for all reserves. What the hell that is yet to be figured out.

While I am in NO way an advocate of this reserve system I will say that it is a bit easier on a flight attendant if they live in base. Not saying it's right but those that DO sit around are HOME and then do an etb 1, 2, or 3 day and they have a pretty decent check. Not many would admit it vocally and again I'm not saying I'm content with the current system. I have heard this from quite a few flight attendants though. I do think that rotating reserve would be nice BUT for the simple fact that you have those that teeter back and fourth between reserve and block. Someone made a good point in that if you are one of those flight attendants that already hold a block between spring and summer would YOU want to give that up knowing how hellish it IS on reserve? It will never pass in any way shape or form. With that being said they need to concentrate on making a fair system for all reserves. What the hell that is yet to be figured out.
I think fairness starts by giving the rsv's back their seniority. They have earned it, just as everyone else has. By not giving the rsv's back their seniority, you might as well not merge the f/a group by seniority also, when we get a joint contract. We all have earned it, however, the rsv's are the only ones who don't get it recognized, except for bidding purposes. Again. maybe we should have a roundtable meeting with different levels of rsv and find out what everyone is looking for. Anytime I speak to a junior rsv, I have been in your shoes. I know what it is like to be at the bottom. I wonder if junior BH complain about the senior BH's getting better trips and more of a bidsheet.

Maybe so, but I am at home. I have options, transfer to PHL hold a primary line, (which wouldnt benefit some of the reserves who are vocal on this board), quit or sit at home and collect 73 hrs, and fly 1-3 day ETB. It really would suck to have 20 years and still be a reserve, until this airline has growth or they are able to trim the seniority list from the top I may still be on reserve 4 yrs from now. At least I am at home. Its tolerable.

You seem to like sitting....not me I want to work. That is fine if that is what you want, but.................

Wouldn't it be nice to have a block say... JAN FEB AND MARCH (able to drop down) and then sit reserve APR (that could be your sit at home break) then MAY JUN JUL have a block then again AUG on reserve.

I understand YOUR point, but a very large percentage of reserves DON'T want to sit as we do commute.

I would think you would want a bit more control of your life...

I think fairness starts by giving the rsv's back their seniority. They have earned it, just as everyone else has. By not giving the rsv's back their seniority, you might as well not merge the f/a group by seniority also, when we get a joint contract. We all have earned it, however, the rsv's are the only ones who don't get it recognized, except for bidding purposes. Again. maybe we should have a roundtable meeting with different levels of rsv and find out what everyone is looking for. Anytime I speak to a junior rsv, I have been in your shoes. I know what it is like to be at the bottom. I wonder if junior BH complain about the senior BH's getting better trips and more of a bidsheet.

Although I agree with giving reserves back their seniority, we have way toooooooo many reserves to make that work either. Those at the bottom will NEVER EVER WORK (accept quick call) those in the middle will NEVER EVER WORK (not even quick call) and those at the top will hog all the trips.

With our current AIL system.....that is not the answer either. Union told me that the AIL is going ba-bye.........so, that old reserve might be doable then.

You seem to like sitting....not me I want to work. That is fine if that is what you want, but.................

Wouldn't it be nice to have a block say... JAN FEB AND MARCH (able to drop down) and then sit reserve APR (that could be your sit at home break) then MAY JUN JUL have a block then again AUG on reserve.

I understand YOUR point, but a very large percentage of reserves DON'T want to sit as we do commute.

I would think you would want a bit more control of your life...
I happen to love flying, not a fan of sitting however, I have complete control over my life because I do not commute to reserve. If I were going to commute it would only be to hold a line. I live where I am based, so as you put it I don't have a problem being on reserve because I am at home. I can take my children to school, I can attend their functions, I can go to the grocery store, I can make my family dinner all while I am on call. I have relatively good control over my life. Thanks to option 18, and 44 I have a real good idea when I am going to be called. I do not live in a base that has the amount of international flying such as PHL, so the midnight wake up calls are very far and few between. I have had that, so I know it sucks. I cannot even imagine being based in PHL on reserve with that much back of the clock flying. As I have stated, if you live in base its bearable.

Although I agree with giving reserves back their seniority, we have way toooooooo many reserves to make that work either. Those at the bottom will NEVER EVER WORK (accept quick call) those in the middle will NEVER EVER WORK (not even quick call) and those at the top will hog all the trips.

With our current AIL system.....that is not the answer either. Union told me that the AIL is going ba-bye.........so, that old reserve might be doable then.
Maybe go back to the old rsv system, but limit passing, possibly to twice a month. I'm sure others have ideas also, and I am welcome to hear them. As you said, we have too many rsv's, what's your solution for that? And what you describe above, I have been through it. Did I like it, sometimes, depending on what I had going on that month. I've been bottom, quick called, dead zone, "central"(not sure if you have been here long enough to remember that one), got my furlough letter(then 3 weeks later, after I had made plans to leave, got the "Just kidding, you are displaced" letter). Through everything I had in a storage unit, until I could figure out what I needed to do about my future. Seniority needs to come back to the rsv's. We have earned it, just like everyone else.

Maybe go back to the old rsv system, but limit passing, possibly to twice a month. I'm sure others have ideas also, and I am welcome to hear them. As you said, we have too many rsv's, what's your solution for that? And what you describe above, I have been through it. Did I like it, sometimes, depending on what I had going on that month. I've been bottom, quick called, dead zone, "central"(not sure if you have been here long enough to remember that one), got my furlough letter(then 3 weeks later, after I had made plans to leave, got the "Just kidding, you are displaced" letter). Through everything I had in a storage unit, until I could figure out what I needed to do about my future. Seniority needs to come back to the rsv's. We have earned it, just like everyone else.

I am not sure what the fix is, but it needs to start at the top of the list.

The block holders have it by the balls and that is why the reserves suffer so much.

It should be one bid and one bid only. What you hold is what you hold. No sapping, secondary, augmentation, AIL etc.... ONE TIME.

If you want to drop, trade etc.....done by the ETB (pay credit) on a first come first serve basis...just like the West does it.

They don't seem to have a problem with it.

I am not sure what the fix is, but it needs to start at the top of the list.

The block holders have it by the balls and that is why the reserves suffer so much.

It should be one bid and one bid only. What you hold is what you hold. No sapping, secondary, augmentation, AIL etc.... ONE TIME.

If you want to drop, trade etc.....done by the ETB (pay credit) on a first come first serve basis...just like the West does it.

They don't seem to have a problem with it.
I don't see them doing "pay creit". Wouldn't that allow a rsv to time out. I get the feeling they don't want us to time out, that way, we are on duty all month. Also, that doesn't solve the problem of too many f/a's on the property. Are you up for a furlough? No matter what, we need to get to the right amount of rsv's, and what we have now, is way too many. That is a fact.

I don't see them doing "pay creit". Wouldn't that allow a rsv to time out. I get the feeling they don't want us to time out, that way, we are on duty all month. Also, that doesn't solve the problem of too many f/a's on the property. Are you up for a furlough? No matter what, we need to get to the right amount of rsv's, and what we have now, is way too many. That is a fact.
I agree with too many reserves. Why wont they give us vol leave? I dont mean 1 month at a time. but 6 or a year. For those who asked NO ONE is saying for it to reach 37 years. What we have asked is for those who HAVE A BLOCK SOMETIME AND RESERVE AT OTHER TIMES to do is maybe Delta system 3-6 days month of reserve and build a block the rest of the month. Would that touch Gloria? no she has not done reserve in 36 1/2 years whatever base reaches reserv/block holder then that would be rotating reserve. Personally I would at least like to see it explored. Is that too much to ask? Again I dont think people with 15-20 years on reserve that is a disgrace. but this company has stagnated and at this time it may have to go to 20 years. but if you hold a block all year long then you should not be included. Again explore some option Dont say NO to every single thing then expect us to be all happy. We do have a union who is supposed to fight for all of us. So why do I have to quit when I pay union dues? At least try to do something then we explore the latter.

The West IS pay credit, so it is doable. And, no I am not up for furlough either.

The fact is we have so many reserves because of the inconsistances with this system.

Every pairing should be assigned. There should never be 100+ trips going into the books.

If that causes furloughs, well then I guess I get furloughed..............THIS IS TORTURE!!!!!!

Girl, run for office, or vote someone else in! CLT didn't step up, same ol' same ol', and I won't even comment on the PHL disaster ...
Hell, just like our passengers, we get what we pay (or vote, or don't take the time to vote) for.

The reality is this...we are all scarred to participate in any work action, otherwise we would have done it. Half of the people here, including myself, would never say the things we say here in front of DP, SK, SS, or any of our co-workers. Why? Well because we are all holding on to the same thing (admit it now!) in the back of our minds we think about what it used to be like and, somewhere in our minds, hope it will be that way again. I used to think it would, maybe in 10-15 years and i'm junior enough to experience it, but now I really don't think so. It is so sad too. US Airways HAD one of the best contracts in the industry pre 9/11. But that's just the problem now isn't it? We keep thinking of what we used to have, not what we have now and what we will have. So, I keep going to work and hold on to the only thing I have left of what used to be....my co-workers-the ones that have been here and understand what it used to be like.

If the union did their job they would be leading the job action. why would you be scared to state what is on your mind? if front of a boss or co-worker if you believe something is not right you do have a right to say it. If you are too afraid and other people dont say anything then nothing will change speak up!! you cannot be fired for stating your opinion.

Back