TAESL closing January 31

TopCat870 said:
Fair is applying the same rules to everyone when there is a RIF. If DFW was having a major layoff and AFW were open, i dont think you would hear too many AFW guys calling for a one station agreement.

Besides, Im told that Pike made a deal with the international that will cause the jumiority list to not shrink properly. Do you think that is fair?
one of those cases where the goose is not good for the gander......

Fair is applying the same rules to everyone when there is a RIF. If DFW was having a major layoff and AFW were open, i dont think you would hear too many AFW guys calling for a one station agreement.

Besides, Im told that Pike made a deal with the international that will cause the jumiority list to not shrink properly. Do you think that is fair?
I have no idea what deal Pike may or may not have done. I try not to run with rumors, As far as this one station business, I completely understand where DFW guys are coming from. It is human nature to protect ones position I get that. You are correct any not affected by a RIF would balk at a one station agreement with one that is being shutdown. I get that. TAESL wanted a one station with DWH only. We fought against that. There are other one station agreements out there. LGA/JFK/EWR comes to mind. My point being, if we are being honest with ourselves, none of us would want to be forced to change zip codes while a junior guys stays put. I know what has played out in the past. That does not make it right.

TopCat870 said:
Could you expound on that little tidbit about the juniority list not shrinking properly?
How can they change something that is contractual.

I'm interested how the TWU and IAM RIF procedure was reconciled. There are significant differences. This may be the last RIF under the system as we know it TWU and IAM.

Traymark said:
Could you expound on that little tidbit about the juniority list not shrinking properly?
How can they change something that is contractual.
They are going to offer the early out up front and anyone who takes it, will then cause the juniority list to shrink by that amount. The remaining people will be awarded positions around the system. The problem is, that they are then going to allow you to take the early out if you dont like what station you got. This causes 2 issues:
if i get awarded AUS and you get JFK, I may decide to take the early out. The AUS slot does not become availavle for you to bump in place of JFK, so i essentially blocked you from getting AUS.
Second, the juniority list doesnt shrink to account for the guys who took the early out because they didnt like the station they got. This causes more people to get exposed that otherwise wouldnt be.

TopCat870 said:
They are going to offer the early out up front and anyone who takes it, will then cause the juniority list to shrink by that amount. The remaining people will be awarded positions around the system. The problem is, that they are then going to allow you to take the early out if you dont like what station you got. This causes 2 issues:
if i get awarded AUS and you get JFK, I may decide to take the early out. The AUS slot does not become availavle for you to bump in place of JFK, so i essentially blocked you from getting AUS.
Second, the juniority list doesnt shrink to account for the guys who took the early out because they didnt like the station they got. This causes more people to get exposed that otherwise wouldnt be.
TopCat870 said:

The juniority list does shrink after the initial early outs, correct?

The part about someone choosing a station and then choosing to retire, I believe, has happened in the past. I do know of at least one specific example where it did. That doesn't make it right, sucks for the guys that get locked out of a choice.

One thing, the fact that all of the reductions are coming from one location, makes it easier to determine , pretty much, what exactly you'll be awarded.
Just by making a few phone calls, I was able to determine what I would get awarded in the last big riff.

Yes, the TAESL guys have been told that the juniority pool shrinks according to early outs. But who the hell knows for sure?
Isn't it great how both the company and the union communicate, in writing, with the people around the system? Bottom line is, no one knows what the process will be because it's different each time there is a RIF. From testing, to available slots/juniority slots, to the rules when choosing to retire if your choice isn't available.
There was an updated "system open slot/juniority" list posted on local 591's website last week. Better than just a piece of paper laying on tool boxes and break tables I guess. But nothing from local 567 or the company. Is this official or just mis-information? Not surprisingly the lone affected mechanic at 591 was removed from the list and still no openings at DFW.
The shop stewards and e-board guys are MIA and when they do show up they don't have anything in writing. Is it their fault? Probably not. 
Latest "WORD" is that guys headed to a line station that pass the written test but fail the practical after 2 tries will be laid off. But only if they use their seniority to bump a junior guy. If a guy is filling an open slot, he can fail the practical and "take it later" *wink wink*.
So if 2 guys pass their written test fail their practical test and are awarded SFO, one filling an open slot and one bumping a junior mechanic, only the one filling an open slot would report there. The other would hit the street and the mechanic that would have been bumped is safe in SFO.

AA89 said:
Yes, the TAESL guys have been told that the juniority pool shrinks according to early outs. But who the hell knows for sure?
Isn't it great how both the company and the union communicate, in writing, with the people around the system? Bottom line is, no one knows what the process will be because it's different each time there is a RIF. From testing, to available slots/juniority slots, to the rules when choosing to retire if your choice isn't available.
There was an updated "system open slot/juniority" list posted on local 591's website last week. Better than just a piece of paper laying on tool boxes and break tables I guess. But nothing from local 567 or the company. Is this official or just mis-information? Not surprisingly the lone affected mechanic at 591 was removed from the list and still no openings at DFW.
The shop stewards and e-board guys are MIA and when they do show up they don't have anything in writing. Is it their fault? Probably not. 
Latest "WORD" is that guys headed to a line station that pass the written test but fail the practical after 2 tries will be laid off. But only if they use their seniority to bump a junior guy. If a guy is filling an open slot, he can fail the practical and "take it later" *wink wink*.
So if 2 guys pass their written test fail their practical test and are awarded SFO, one filling an open slot and one bumping a junior mechanic, only the one filling an open slot would report there. The other would hit the street and the mechanic that would have been bumped is safe in SFO.
And these guys are getting a stipend from the local and getting 2-4 hours of extra pay DAILY from the company while doing UBP.  What a racket huh?

We call it a scam here in MIA but if you ask them (when you see one) about it they say their scam protects your scam whatever that means.

DallasConehead said:
And these guys are getting a stipend from the local and getting 2-4 hours of extra pay DAILY from the company while doing UBP.  What a racket huh?

Do you ever not whine? You must be DFW!!!

Just asking!

Roadking5560 said:
We call it a scam here in MIA but if you ask them (when you see one) about it they say their scam protects your scam whatever that means.

For a while there after the SRD changed the union guys were required to show up but as of late you are correct The Cloaking device is back in full swing.

The Local 591 prez and others around the system are privy to the info as to how it will affect each station and it's members but as usual they expect the members to know or research it for themselves, hear rumors ask question, rather than having the info given upfront by the regional officers by having them come to the floor and tell everyone how it is going to work and what deals were cut and by whom.

But I would guess the defenders of the TWU leadership will just come back with they have lots on their plates with the current, and upcoming negotiations. If GP is busy then, GS should step into the mode to insure the info gets to the members. That job is JR's job as the sec. isn't it?
They voted themselves raises it's time they earned that money, don't you think?

Just more and continual ways in which the TWU keeps you in the Dark.

But as a Group we had many chances to rid AA of the TWU and some of you chose the TWU so NOW we just will have to deal with this continuing BS. 

Back