TAESL closing January 31

there are two ways to discourage layoffs:
1) chaos which is what the iam does or
2) financially which is how the twu did it, the $8500.00 for the move and the $12,500 penalty.

unfortunately Jim Little and Don Videtvich gave the house away so we have literally nothing left positive in our contract to offer anyone that would care to merge with us. the only thing they did leave was numbers and that played out real well. that is one reason why i have been hammering away at the "association" to get into negotiations to clear this crap up.their sense of "urgency" is screwing us all.

TopCat870 said:
The A25 is still required
TopC, more than likely this is true but if I remember correctly if you actually pull up the test in the QAM for Line Test it says Not Required. Thier may be language elsewhere that is different but I do remember some guys going to Miami who failed and took it up to Seymour and his response was we don't test at LUS. Will look tomorrow as I don't want to download the browser for access to Procedural Manuals at home.

Went over the Line Test last January and it covers a lot of good info on the Line operations but still think it's BS, as a certificated tech one should be able to go and learn the system anywhere and use his Seniority and not a Juniority system!

AA89 said:
Trent 800 and RB211 work is going to Delta? Show me that link please.That "news release" posted a few days ago is BS.
 From what I have heard, USAir's contract allows bumping by seniority so the 354 mechanics at TAESL would be able to bump lower seniority guys from DWH and DFW and let those displaced guys go to lower seniority stations. It is in the companies interest to use the TWU rules so that mechanics can only go to open slots or hit the street. {Or I understand they can down grade and bump. Who the hell knows??} The rules are different every layoff !!
What good is a seniority list if it isn't used during a base closure? Might as well put us all in alphabetical order.
So if management knew that TAESL's days were numbered, why not pull the plug now and avoid a major disruption at DFW and DWH?
You are correct.  For many years the TWU did what was best for the company's interest, such as giving our bumping rights away.  Why should the TWU care if a 25 year guy loses his job and a 10 year guy gets to keep his?  They still get the same union dues so it doesn't have any impact on their bottom line.  You can bet there'll be more layoffs and closures in the legacy AA system before the JCBL.  Still not counting on getting the IAM bumping rights though. 

AA89 said:
Trent 800 and RB211 work is going to Delta? Show me that link please.That "news release" posted a few days ago is BS.
 From what I have heard, USAir's contract allows bumping by seniority so the 354 mechanics at TAESL would be able to bump lower seniority guys from DWH and DFW and let those displaced guys go to lower seniority stations. It is in the companies interest to use the TWU rules so that mechanics can only go to open slots or hit the street. {Or I understand they can down grade and bump. Who the hell knows??} The rules are different every layoff !!
What good is a seniority list if it isn't used during a base closure? Might as well put us all in alphabetical order.
So if management knew that TAESL's days were numbered, why not pull the plug now and avoid a major disruption at DFW and DWH?
Could you or someone please explain this part in a little more detail?  "Or I understand they can down grade a bump."  Thx in advance...

While we are waiting for a JCBA, the TWU method will apply. which is whatever Letter of Agreement the company wants.

I would not be surprised if a new set of "bumping rules" emerges to cover this specific RIF.

On the Reduction in Force Plan, those being granted awards to the Line will attend  A25 Classroom Training on December 7-11 of 2015.

I guess this is in lieu of actual individual testing?

swamt said:
Could you or someone please explain this part in a little more detail?  "Or I understand they can down grade a bump."  Thx in advance...
A licensed mechanic can downgrade to an unlicensed mechanic position (Overhaul Shop Mechanic) held by a lower senior unlicensed mechanic at DWH or TULE.
They will lose $5.00 of license pay but some see it as a better alternative to moving to a high cost city where the lowest seniority guys are. 

Buck said:
While we are waiting for a JCBA, the TWU method will apply. which is whatever Letter of Agreement the company wants.

I would not be surprised if a new set of "bumping rules" emerges to cover this specific RIF.

On the Reduction in Force Plan, those being granted awards to the Line will attend  A25 Classroom Training on December 7-11 of 2015.

I guess this is in lieu of actual individual testing?
They are being told they will be tested indivdually just like the guys that pre-qualified this past week without classroom training.

2ndGENAMT said:
TopC, more than likely this is true but if I remember correctly if you actually pull up the test in the QAM for Line Test it says Not Required. Thier may be language elsewhere that is different but I do remember some guys going to Miami who failed and took it up to Seymour and his response was we don't test at LUS. Will look tomorrow as I don't want to download the browser for access to Procedural Manuals at home.

Went over the Line Test last January and it covers a lot of good info on the Line operations but still think it's BS, as a certificated tech one should be able to go and learn the system anywhere and use his Seniority and not a Juniority system!
Over a hundred guys took the test this past week and less than 10 failed it. If they get a line slot they will be eligible for the classroom training and re-test. Having passed it myself I agree with you that it does cover alot of information that will give a guy a head start when he gets to the line. But like most jobs, the learning starts when you actually start doing the job.
The BS part of it is that a new hire doesn't have to pass that test, but the company has 3 months to axe him if he isn't getting it. With a transfer, the company {and his coworkers} are stuck with him. So who knows what the right answer is.

AA89 said:
A licensed mechanic can downgrade to an unlicensed mechanic position (Overhaul Shop Mechanic) held by a lower senior unlicensed mechanic at DWH or TULE.
They will lose $5.00 of license pay but some see it as a better alternative to moving to a high cost city where the lowest seniority guys are. 
the only question that i would have with that scenario is if you have a transfer to another station od the station you are at to a mechanic slot where would you fall on the transfer list? would a "current mechanic" go ahead or would it be pure seniority within the title group?

Transfers are by classification, a 2015 seniority man who is currently AMT will be ahead of a 1997 seniority OSM. The TWU way!!

Sad circumstances for the new hires that were brought on during the last year. I understand that the company is hiring in SFO now and has hired at JFK/LGA, ORD, and LAX in the last twelve months. Those places will be the junior cities. Very high cost of living places.

dfw gen said:
the only question that i would have with that scenario is if you have a transfer to another station od the station you are at to a mechanic slot where would you fall on the transfer list? would a "current mechanic" go ahead or would it be pure seniority within the title group?
I'm not sure if I understand what you are asking but the way I understand the way it works in a RIF is that after all open slots are filled in the system, the remaining TAESL mechanics will be able to bump from the bottom of the seniority list up. So OSMs are exposed along with AMTs since they are on the same Title 1 seniority list. There are no OSMs at TAESL. Only DWH and TULE.
 Jim Weel said that there are at least 354 open slots in the system so that means no one will be bumped. Not sure of they are all AMT positions or not.

2ndGENAMT said:
Transfers are by classification, a 2015 seniority man who is currently AMT will be ahead of a 1997 seniority OSM. The TWU way!!
That is what some guys are banking on but I couldn't find it explained in the contract.

I am glad that I am not affected as the only language I know is Okie and some Texan, I could never go to JFK or LGA  etc..  

AA89 said:
Over a hundred guys took the test this past week and less than 10 failed it. If they get a line slot they will be eligible for the classroom training and re-test. Having passed it myself I agree with you that it does cover alot of information that will give a guy a head start when he gets to the line. But like most jobs, the learning starts when you actually start doing the job.
The BS part of it is that a new hire doesn't have to pass that test, but the company has 3 months to axe him if he isn't getting it. With a transfer, the company {and his coworkers} are stuck with him. So who knows what the right answer is.
The right answer is that nobody should have to take a qualifying test as long as they have an A&P license.  AA has used the qualifying test to deny individuals their bids.  

Back