Oregon Shooting

Glenn Quagmire said:
Or like being a voter and pretending to be able to predict election winners?

Glenn Quagmire
Posted 29 September 2015 - 07:58 PM

Veteran

I still predict either Kasich or Bush as the GOP nominee and Clinton as the Democratic nominee.

Dude, how did you like that link from the Attorney Registration and Disciplinary Commission of the Supreme Court of Illinois I gave you that showed why the Obama's surrendered their law licenses? 
Sure beats Fact Check and Snopes for quick clarity.

eolesen said:
Lefties like 700 probably think a gun show is like a swap meet. Except that it's not.
I imagine you are correct.  In this day and age there is no need to go to a show when you can do your shopping online, contact him, meet at a location to give him $800 and go home with my new gun.  

• Banned
Ms Tree said:
I imagine you are correct.  In this day and age there is no need to go to a show when you can do your shopping online, contact him, meet at a location to give him $800 and go home with my new gun.  

Private party sales. Well within the law.

Whats your point?

Do you now concede that your hysterics over the "gun show loophole" is a baseless canard?

How many mass shootings were from private party sales?

ZERO

With over 10,000 congregants, New Life Church in Colorado Springs, Colorado is a “mega church.” Its main sanctuary seats over 5,000 and is packed for most services. Add to that another huge youth sanctuary; chapels for children from infants through junior high; staff; and people hanging around the café, etc. — and you have a very target-dense building.

On December 9, 2007, at approximately 1:00pm, Matthew James Murray walked into New Life with enough armaments and ammunition to kill dozens, if not hundreds, if he were an accurate enough shot. The 11:00am service had just let out. People were everywhere. Murray shot and killed two in the parking lot then entered the building. That’s where his rampage ended. Unfortunately for Matt Murray, New Life Church was not a “gun-free zone.”
Once in the building Murry ran across Jeanne Assam, a woman with a concealed weapons carry permit, trained in the handling and use of firearms — and she was packing heat. Ms. Assam assessed the situation, pulled out her pistol and dropped him.

Very interesting:

"Five decades before last week's mass shooting at a community college in Roseburg, Oregon, Democratic presidential candidate Robert F. Kennedy was campaigning in the same town, calling for stricter gun-control measures."...

..."In this clip from May 25, 1968, CBS Evening News anchor Walter Cronkite noted that Kennedy had "long pushed for strong gun control laws" and was responding to critics who said such legislation would deny Constitutional guarantees on the right to possess arms.

Kennedy spoke about the ease with which potentially dangerous people could obtain guns through mail orders or other means.

"At the present moment, a person who is insane, a man with a long criminal record of having killed a dozen people, can go in a buy a rifle," he said.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/watch-rfk-talks-gun-control-in-roseburg-oregon-in-1968/

In posting this, I am not saying I agree one way or another with any of the positions taken here.

Glenn Quagmire said:
Very interesting:

"Five decades before last week's mass shooting at a community college in Roseburg, Oregon, Democratic presidential candidate Robert F. Kennedy was campaigning in the same town, calling for stricter gun-control measures."...

..."In this clip from May 25, 1968, CBS Evening News anchor Walter Cronkite noted that Kennedy had "long pushed for strong gun control laws" and was responding to critics who said such legislation would deny Constitutional guarantees on the right to possess arms.

Kennedy spoke about the ease with which potentially dangerous people could obtain guns through mail orders or other means.

"At the present moment, a person who is insane, a man with a long criminal record of having killed a dozen people, can go in a buy a rifle," he said.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/watch-rfk-talks-gun-control-in-roseburg-oregon-in-1968/

In posting this, I am not saying I agree one way or another with any of the positions taken here.
If they change the same requirements 'to get a job'.
I am all in.
As it is now, small businesses are subject to labor laws that prohibit asking these questions.
As it is, if I hire a nut case that did not disclose his condition, that's on me.
I can't fire him because he is protected by the ADA and labor laws.
B) xUT

Glenn Quagmire said:
Very interesting:

Not taking a position?  Why not Quagtard? I would assume that's another false statement on your part.

"Kennedy spoke about the ease with which potentially dangerous people could obtain guns through mail orders or other means."

That is a ominous statement considering the car the Ted was drunk driving killed a young girl. Was Ted a potentially dangerous person?

I guess the left still will blame the car for drunk driving itself like the guns operated themselves and murdered victims in cold blood....nobody pulls the trigger.

• Banned
xUT said:
Wait, so none of those guns purchased was at a gun show via some loophole? All purchased legally with a federal background check?

And most significant was the weapons were handguns, not a big scary assault rifle with scary things attached to it?

Poor Tree, his canards destroyed one by one lol.

xUT said:

Six out of the 14 did not have any background checks to get their weapons. Even had checks been run it is likely they would have obtained a weapon because the checks are incomplete. Histories are not allowed to be kept on file. State and federal data bases are incomplete and many times do not communicate with each other. 1 There is no mental health requirement and there really is no realistic way of doing that. Even had they failed the check, it is easy in most states to go on line, find a local seller, pay and walk away with a gun with no questions asked.

I realize the gun control crowd wants to try and reduce the number of shootings but I do not see any realistic plan from them or anyone else for that mater that would reduce them. With few exceptions, anyone can get a gun on short notice without any questions asked and it's all perfectly legal.

It is what it is.

• Banned
Ms Tree said:

Six out of the 14 did not have any background checks to get their weapons. Even had checks been run it is likely they would have obtained a weapon because the checks are incomplete. Histories are not allowed to be kept on file. State and federal data bases are incomplete and many times do not communicate with each other. 1 There is no mental health requirement and there really is no realistic way of doing that. Even had they failed the check, it is easy in most states to go on line, find a local seller, pay and walk away with a gun with no questions asked.

I realize the gun control crowd wants to try and reduce the number of shootings but I do not see any realistic plan from them or anyone else for that mater that would reduce them. With few exceptions, anyone can get a gun on short notice without any questions asked and it's all perfectly legal.

It is what it is.

And none were purchased from gun shows. 

What now?

With over 10,000 congregants, New Life Church in Colorado Springs, Colorado is a “mega church.” Its main sanctuary seats over 5,000 and is packed for most services. Add to that another huge youth sanctuary; chapels for children from infants through junior high; staff; and people hanging around the café, etc. — and you have a very target-dense building.

On December 9, 2007, at approximately 1:00pm, Matthew James Murray walked into New Life with enough armaments and ammunition to kill dozens, if not hundreds, if he were an accurate enough shot. The 11:00am service had just let out. People were everywhere. Murray shot and killed two in the parking lot then entered the building. That’s where his rampage ended. Unfortunately for Matt Murray, New Life Church was not a “gun-free zone.”
Once in the building Murry ran across Jeanne Assam, a woman with a concealed weapons carry permit, trained in the handling and use of firearms — and she was packing heat. Ms. Assam assessed the situation, pulled out her pistol and dropped him.

I want to start by saying Ms. Assam, thankfully, did save many lives. But you missed many points of fact in how you presented the story.

To start off, and I know this is nitpicking, but Police say that after suffering multiple hits from Assam's gun, Murray fatally shot himself. She did stop him, but I do not think you can say, as you did, she pulled out her pistol and dropped him.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_Colorado_YWAM_and_New_Life_shootings

Further, there was a real good reason why she was trained in the handling and use of firearms (and it had nothing to do with a concealed weapons carry permit):
Jeanne Assam wasn’t quite a random churchgoer who just happened to show up at the service fortuitously carrying a weapon that day, however: she was a former police officer and volunteer church security guard who was aware of the earlier attack at the Youth (and) Mission training center, had suggested that the New Life Church add extra security, and was armed as part of the church’s security team that day for that very reason
Read more at http://m.snopes.com/jeanne-assam/#FXwxrQQkBjZzW1cZ.99

The best part of Ms. Assam's story is the happy ending. According to Ms. Assam:
The guard hailed as a hero after the December 2007 shooting at New Life Church says the church indicated she was not welcome there after she informed church officials that she is gay.
http://www.denverpost.com/ci_17486675

• Banned
Hatu said:
I want to start by saying Ms. Assam, thankfully, did save many lives. But you missed many points of fact in how you presented the story.

To start off, and I know this is nitpicking, but Police say that after suffering multiple hits from Assam's gun, Murray fatally shot himself. She did stop him, but I do not think you can say, as you did, she pulled out her pistol and dropped him.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_Colorado_YWAM_and_New_Life_shootings

Further, there was a real good reason why she was trained in the handling and use of firearms (and it had nothing to do with a concealed weapons carry permit):
Jeanne Assam wasn’t quite a random churchgoer who just happened to show up at the service fortuitously carrying a weapon that day, however: she was a former police officer and volunteer church security guard who was aware of the earlier attack at the Youth (and) Mission training center, had suggested that the New Life Church add extra security, and was armed as part of the church’s security team that day for that very reason
Read more at http://m.snopes.com/jeanne-assam/#FXwxrQQkBjZzW1cZ.99

The best part of Ms. Assam's story is the happy ending. According to Ms. Assam:
The guard hailed as a hero after the December 2007 shooting at New Life Church says the church indicated she was not welcome there after she informed church officials that she is gay.
http://www.denverpost.com/ci_17486675

Lives saved trumps being nitpicky.

Whats your point other then diversion to the obvious "saved lives"?

townpete said:
Lives saved trumps being nitpicky.

Whats your point other then diversion to the obvious "saved lives"?
Oh, I don't know. Maybe that facts matter.

stupid29.jpeg

Back