Oregon Shooting

• Banned
Dog Wonder said:
Go try it.

No really. Go into a gun show and try to buy one. Without a background check.

lol

townpete said:
I have a fun challenge for all pro-gun control nuts.
Go to a gun show and try to buy a gun without a background check. You know, the "loophole".
FYI: All FFLs are required by law to either run or confirm background checks, regardless of venue.
REGARDLESS OF VENUE
The only exemption that exists is for private transactions between private individuals who reside in the same state.
Even then it is illegal to knowingly sell a firearm to someone, who by law should not purchase one.
Goes to show you that most gun control nuts have no understanding or basic knowledge of existing law or firearms in general.
Are you saying I can't buy a gun for cash, in the alley behind the QT like they do in Chicago?

southwind said:
Because the question is ignorant and red herring.  When the loophole is discussed no one is talking about dealers.  The issue with gun shows and the loophole in general is the ability to purchase a gun person to person or from someone who's primary source of income.

Dealers are required to do background checks whether at a show in or their brick and mortar store.  The loophole has nothing to do with them.  

So yes.  Why?

southwind said:
Are you saying I can't buy a gun for cash, in the alley behind the QT like they do in Chicago?
If he is saying that then he is ignorant of the law.  A majority of states do not require a background check when buying a gun from a private person at a gun show, or anywhere else for that matter.

You should probably stop reading his posts.  Not a very reliable source of info.

http://www.governing.com/gov-data/safety-justice/gun-show-firearms-bankground-checks-state-laws-map.html

• Banned
Ms Tree said:
If he is saying that then he is ignorant of the law.  A majority of states do not require a background check when buying a gun from a private person at a gun show, or anywhere else for that matter.

You should probably stop reading his posts.  Not a very reliable source of info.

http://www.governing.com/gov-data/safety-justice/gun-show-firearms-bankground-checks-state-laws-map.html
All this from a clown who has never been to a gun show. All FFL dealers are required by law to run background checks. That link is full of sh!t propaganda from another gun control nutxo group.

There is no such thing as a private person selling guns at a gun show as there primary source of income. By definition that's a dealer. They wouldn't even get pass the registration.

Red herring indeed.

• Banned
Ird important to note, yet again there has been zero mass shootings with firearms bought from a gun show.

All have been purchased legally through a FFL licensed dealer with a background check.

Your move Furball.

• Banned
Another fun fact regarding the "gun show loophole" canard.

The federal government already has the statutory authority to define who does and does not qualify as an individual “in the business of selling firearms.” It derives that authority from 18 U.S. Code § 921. Here’s how the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF) specifically defines whether an individual is engaged in the business of selling firearms and should therefore be subject to federal firearms licensee (FFL) requirements.

So if a private individual is selling guns as a primary source of income, then by law he is classified as a "dealer" and in violation of federal law.

So what new law, would make the existing law any more clear?

• Banned
From the code itself:

Dealer in firearms — a person who devotes time, attention, and labor to dealing in firearms as a regular course of trade or business with the principal objective of livelihood and profit through the repetitive purchase and resale of firearms, but such term shall not include a person who makes occasional sales, exchanges, or purchases of firearms for the enhancement of a personal collection or for a hobby, or who sells all or part of his personal collection of firearms (18 U.S.C. § 921(a)(21)(C))

townpete said:
Yep. All sorts of outrage, but still no solutions that would actually do anything, other than to try and make life harder for responsible gun owners.

Mark Kelly is an intellectual idiot, and it's beyond shameful how he continues to use his wife as a stage prop to push gun control. 

Ms Tree said:
I was searching for mass shooting info and ran across this info.  I must admit I was more than a bit surprised by the info but I think it does make sense.  It seems that mass shootings have remained pretty flat over the past 40 yrs or so.  If you take the population increase into effect I would guess that the numbers are actually better now than they were in the past.  I think the fact that we have instantaneous and massive coverage of any and all incidents tends to magnify our perception of what is happening.
The media making a problem out to be larger than it really is? Shocking. Shocking, I say.

That post 700 put up about guns sales and such.....I was under the impression that it was a Fed requirement for background checks in all states. It must be a states rights issue then, I think all states should do those but it still won't stop someone hell bent on carnage.
In Pennsylvania, they have been pretty good on background and such, even carry permits.

I find it hard to believe someone selling firearms couldn't be held liable for not doing background checks and wouldn't do them to CYA.

• Banned
delldude said:
That post 700 put up about guns sales and such.....I was under the impression that it was a Fed requirement for background checks in all states. It must be a states rights issue then, I think all states should do those but it still won't stop someone hell bent on carnage.
In Pennsylvania, they have been pretty good on background and such, even carry permits.

I find it hard to believe someone selling firearms couldn't be held liable for not doing background checks and wouldn't do them to CYA.

That post of his is deceptively full of crap. Go to some of those states websites and see what if required as a FFL licensed dealer. You sell a firearm, you are required by law to do a background check, regardless of the venue.

So yes, all states by law, require a background check.

REGARDLESS OF VENUE

• Banned
That post and graphics that 700 pasted is deceptive. 

How?

It says that there are states that allow gun sales at gun shows without background checks.

WRONG

How is it wrong?

FFL licensed dealers are required, by law, regardless of venue to do a background check on any and all sales. Period.

INCLUDING GUN SHOWS

There is no need for a specific law for gun shows as existing law already does that!

Back