Commuter policy is broken

Status
Not open for further replies.
But I dont think AA enforces that rule too often.

I will repeat again what I have said before. AA has the loosy-goosiest computer security I have ever seen in a major corporation. When I was at Texaco, we had major computer centers in New York, Bellaire, TX, Hamburg, Germany (there was another one in the Orient somewhere, but I'm getting old and don't remember for sure). All of these major centers were linked to each other and to individual Texaco offices. A single computer user could be logged on at one terminal in the entire system at a time. You can go into Ops at any base and log on to every single terminal in succession using the same userid and password.

Another no-no from the computer security bible: Walking away from a terminal while still signed on. At Texaco and other companies where I worked, this was a termination offense in and of itself. A person bent on sabotage could do a lot of damage and it would all be recorded under your logonid. Most people don't know that it is built into every IBM mainframe computer (and most other major computers) that the computer automatically records every transaction under a given logonid including date and time of the transaction.

And, those are just two of the most glaring breaches of security I've observed. Operaations you are correct that AA does not enforce its own rules. They have created a lot of the problems we currently have because of failure to enforce rules in the past. A perfect example is the case that I think you or Gar posted about the f/a who has called in sick every Christmas and Thanksgiving for the last 5 years because she doesn't have the seniority to hold those off. If the company wants to stop such behavior then go after the miscreants instead of making life miserable for the rest of us.

The problem is that the company may have let such behavior go on too long. There is a precedent in labor law called "Shop Practice."
It works both for and against the union and the company. For instance, our contract calls for mandatory 12-hour rest break between trips when on reserve. If the union consistently allows the company to violate this provision of the contract, and the company can prove that, it can result in that aspect of the contract being declared null and void in a grienvance because less than 12-hour breaks is "shop practice."

By the same token, the company will not win a termination grievance for violation of computer security rules if it can be proven that the company has consistently ignored such violations in the past.

Since we are going off track.

I remember watching TV when AA had the big round of layoff after 9/11. A comment was made by one of the reporters about how cold it was that AA did not give notice to those who were being terminated. My wife asked what was up with that as well. What I could do to the operation given the will could be quite damaging. People out side do not seem to know that SABRE/DECS/FOS is the life blood of AA/AMR. If the security of the system is breached and confidence is lost, it's big bucks.

When I was at SABRE, security and what were allowed and not allowed to do was very important. Lots of different vendors use SABRE and they rely on the confidentiality and security of the system.

BTW, the number of times a commuter saves the day are far out numbered by the times a commuter screws up the works. Ask a few of the people I have reassigned over the years. They will let you know what they think of commuters.

Garf,

On the pilot side, commuters probably save the company big $$$ in training and paid move costs by chasing airplanes to different bases. They will also come through to keep the MIA hub operating if (when) a big hurricane plows into south FL. I can guarantee you that given the way the AA pilot managers have endeared themselves with the pilot group, there would be several billion dollars of pilotless aluminum sitting in a storms path without the MIA commuters filling in for the locals. Not many locals are going to leave their families to "help out AA".

Since we are going off track.

I remember watching TV when AA had the big round of layoff after 9/11. A comment was made by one of the reporters about how cold it was that AA did not give notice to those who were being terminated. My wife asked what was up with that as well. What I could do to the operation given the will could be quite damaging. People out side do not seem to know that SABRE/DECS/FOS is the life blood of AA/AMR. If the security of the system is breached and confidence is lost, it's big bucks.

When I was at SABRE, security and what were allowed and not allowed to do was very important. Lots of different vendors use SABRE and they rely on the confidentiality and security of the system.

your wife thinks like me. I won't go into any more detail of what other things I find lacking because I don't think the BB lurkers need to know any more than they probably do already.

Sabre came out with a new thing for reservations where we need to take a survey and sign off on the fact that sabre is only for employees eyes and we are not allowed to pass info about anything we learn there and any single person's pnr. I think part of this is due to the prevalence of BB's and employees participating on them. They just want to make sure certain things stay private. Or try to.

Meanwhile, we have TT services that DO use people's private passcodes to trip trade and that one, that operAAtions mentioned who is no longer an employee but has full access to sabre SOMEHOW.

your wife thinks like me. I won't go into any more detail of what other things I find lacking because I don't think the BB lurkers need to know any more than they probably do already.

Agreed.

Along those lines is the idiotic resistance to providing internet access to layover.

Maybe one day the pinheads will realize the threat from unsecured lobby wireless and internet cafe networks, and encourage the use of free hotel room ISP access with proper security standards. I'd guess they'd rather fight the crews instead. (cue in the other fools here who agree with the policy)

The commuter policy is a failure from an operational stand point. There seems to be no incentive for someone to actually make an effort to get their butt to base to do their job. As I understand it, on an OSO day you have to try and get on 2 flights. If you do not get on, "OH well, I tried" and you go home with no consequences other than the loss of a trip that can be made up at a later date via MU/OE or what ever.

God for bid someone actually look at the weather report and see that there is WX in NYC area today and actually get into base the day before. JFK is sitting on about 15 HI3's of people who did not/will not make it to base to do their job and the flights will be going short.

If I pulled crap like that I'd be fired so quick my head would be spinning and rightly so. I can live where ever I choose. I agreed to do a certain job at a certain time. I believe AA has the right to expect me to show up each day. Novel idea

Hey Garfield? You like Red?, or White? How much "WHINE" you want with that Cheese...You are the First to "####" about the contract standards, and also the last to understandard what is " ACTUALLY GOING ON", The so called "APFA" said " NO "" to concessions. The "COURT" Agreed!! There is only so many Appeals that can continue before the VERDICT is rendered... Yes...those who don't follow the rules shoud be gone, but What about those who do? Because they are junior? They should be gone? Please, think abou What you are doing before you actually do it?

WHAT UNITY? APFA>>>RIGHT?

As I understand it, on an OSO day you have to try and get on 2 flights. If you do not get on, "OH well, I tried" and you go home with no consequences other than the loss of a trip that can be made up at a later date via MU/OE or what ever.

Well, no, not exactly. You have to be able to show that you attempted to get on two flights prior to the last flight which would get you to base in time for sign-in; so, that's actually 3 flights. AND, the flights must have cancelled or been seriously delayed due to mechanical, weather, ATC, etc. The flight being full, and/or other f/as taking the jumpseats ahead of you, is not an excuse.

What do crews need internet access for?
Among other things, checking flight status since the company sees no need to notify crews at the hotel that their outbound flight is delayed. The company has no problem with us arriving at the airport from the hotel only to find out that the flight is delayed 3 or 4 hours, and the company knew it the night before.

Since our agreement with all hotels is that check-out time for us is whenever we leave the room, we could stay and get some extra rest or go exercise, or have a decent breakfast.

Jim....It is an excuse when the flights you tried to get on are "NOW" oversold due to the cancellations....As long as you " Attempted" to get to base, under the "CONTRACT" then you are excused....FINALLY, the "SO CALLED UNION< APFA", might have a leg to stand on!

Jim....It is an excuse when the flights you tried to get on are "NOW" oversold due to the cancellations....As long as you " Attempted" to get to base, under the "CONTRACT" then you are excused....FINALLY, the "SO CALLED UNION< APFA", might have a leg to stand on!

As far as I see it, the "ONE" who started this post is the WHINER who can't deal with the " ACTUAL" contract?.....Garf? what is your favorite " CHEESE" ?

Among other things, checking flight status since the company sees no need to notify crews at the hotel that their outbound flight is delayed. The company has no problem with us arriving at the airport from the hotel only to find out that the flight is delayed 3 or 4 hours, and the company knew it the night before.

Since our agreement with all hotels is that check-out time for us is whenever we leave the room, we could stay and get some extra rest or go exercise, or have a decent breakfast.

Verifying flt status cannot be done via some other method? Could the #1 be designated to contact AA for flt status and advise the other FA's on their crew if there is a delay? Does dial-aa-flight still exist?

Seem like a large expense to provide internet access for flight status. Also, how many crew members actually fly with their lap tops?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back