US Airways Makes Case for Merger With American

I'm far from a new hire, and never claimed to be a pilot.
You really do need to look up the definition of a scab when you have time.
Again you're confused...a scab is a NON union employee that brownnoses for his job. So why do East and West refer to each other as scabs? Which group is non union?

There are lines on the US map for routes that have ended or will end as a result of the slot swap - and lines missing for US' new flights from DCA.
US is giving up more in flights at LGA than it is gaining at DCA - AND DL is adding more higher profile cities at LGA than US is adding at DCA, including to other airline hubs that have not had a 2nd or 3rd network competitor.
AA/US will still be #3 in NYC, the largest and most valuable of the NE markets, behind UA as of right now although it is likely DL could reach parity with UA in NYC as a result of the slot swap and UA's own movement of flights between EWR and IAD.
Thus it is harder to make the case that AA/US will have the mass necessary to compete in the largest markets, esp. since DL already overshadows US in most cities on the east coast - where AA supposedly won't add that much.

just for kicks, does anyone beat BoeingBoy's 3112 rating? 15,000 posts and a rating of + 3110... I haven't seen anyone else either with such a high absolute positive number or such a high ratio of positive votes to number of posts.
Anyone?

just for kicks, does anyone beat BoeingBoy's 3112 rating? 15,000 posts and a rating of + 3110... I haven't seen anyone else either with such a high absolute positive number or such a high ratio of positive votes to number of posts.
Anyone?
Move2CLT appears to win both the ratio and the absolute number of positive votes.

How do you mean sir?

All the two route maps really show is what everyone already knows - that US has hubs in cities that AA doesn't have hubs, AA has hubs in cities that US doesn't have hubs and US has lots of service to places in the eastern U.S. So what cities would AA gain from a merger with US that it doesn't already serve - the cities at the other end of those lines. Put service from BOS and NYC on AA's map, like you did on US' map, and expand the picture to include the other end of all those lines and you'll find that there's not that many cities that AA doesn't already have service.

Jim

Move2CLT appears to win both the ratio and the absolute number of positive votes.
holy cow.... no kidding.

and to Jim's point, some of those US cities may not be viable for US given the equipment they use or the network on which they operate - and that has to eventually be rectified.

Was it Jamie Baker who identified 30-some small and medium-sized towns that US serves along the east coast that AA doesn't serve? And, of course, the now infamous RIC-JAX passenger who can easily connect on US over CLT but for whom AA really isn't an option. Somebody recently posted somewhere the possibility that the RIC-JAX customer will choose US for all their travel (including longhaul business class to Europe and Asia and S America) because AA cannot fly them on their short-haul domestic trip. Of course, they will be somewhat disappointed to find that US doesn't fly to Asia or much of S America or very many frequencies to London. Seems to me just as likely that they'll choose AA for all that long-haul travel and then sometimes fly another airline for those odd-ball domestic trips like RIC-JAX. Many business travelers have long flown a secondary airline and even maintained low-level elite status there so they won't be a "nobody" when they fly that domestic hop.

Was it Jamie Baker who identified 30-some small and medium-sized towns that US serves along the east coast that AA doesn't serve?

No doubt that AA has something of a void in the southeast when it comes to smaller cities and connecting traffic within the region. But what network carrier doesn't have such a void somewhere in their network? How about the Midland-New Orleans passenger - can US serve him conveniently? Or the JAX-PNS passenger - who serves them without an out-of-the-way connection? Or the Little Rock-DAY passenger, should we forget them? Maybe there should be one super-carrier that has hubs in every city with over 10,000 people and serves every community that has more than 1000 people with non-stop flights to every hub - nobody would have to inconvenience themselves getting anywhere in the country...at least for the year or two it'd take for that super-carrier to go out of business... :lol:

Jim

Give it up.

If you don't understand something as rudimentary as that you don't belong here.
So why don't you give me the definition of scab. The word is used lightly in your industry. When NWA decided to outsource high paying jobs in my area, the replacements were called scabs. Come to find out, the replacements weren't only union, but they were the same union as they replaced. The IAM. Ever hear of it?

From what I can gather about USAPA, the West was willing to join, until it came to seniority because USAPA wanted some 500 US pilots to retain their top seniority. So you have all been in litigation and squabbles and arbitration and going back and forth in court, etc.

So now you call each other scabs, but you all belong to unions??!

From all this, I would define scab as the opposite of us.

Congratulations again, Move, I thought the West did get shafted regardless of the "REAL and DETAILED" story. But now it seems that we get what we deserve and your eggs haven't hatched yet.

Back