TWU/IAM Association Poll

Are you for or against the proposed TWU/IAM Association?

• Total voters
MetalMover said:
What is wrong with removing officers who fail the membership?
Should they be lifetime appointments like the Supreme Court Justices?

Nothing, actually supported a motion at the Convention that would have allowed that, but it was tabled.

However, the arguments were about how the TWU was keeping it's members down and not negotiating industry leading contracts....

NYer said:

What I understand is that there is clamor for AMFA. The TWU seems to be an organization that many don't want anymore (unless of course there is a vote with the IAM, then, suddenly the TWU is back in favor). During these debates about a JCBA the calls that the TWU is incapable of getting industry leading mechanics pay, which are currently with UPS, is loud.

So, if you want industry leading pay, then the call should be for the IBT. But wait, the IBT has a structure which isn't something that is appealing. So when looking for an appealing structure, the heads turn to AMFA...but they don't have industry leading wages....which is the reasoning mechanics are using to try and gain support for a change, since the TWU is incapable of getting those wages. The IBT has, but their structure is no good....We circle back to AMFA.....BUT no one is moving forward with trying to get them on the NMB ballot because they're busy trying to get the TWU and IAM on the ballot both of which no one wants.....Makes perfect sense. Don't know I ever doubted the sound reasoning.
You really like cherry picking statements, don't you.....The reason the TWU would be in favor is because WE  ARE AGAINST THE ALLIANCE AND WOULD RATHER SEE AN ELECTION BETWEEN THE TWU AND IAM......VOTING FOR THE TWU OVER THE IAM IS THE LESSER OF TWO EVILS. DOES NOT CHANGE FEELINGS ABOUT THE TWU WERE ANOTHER UNION IN THE PICTRE!!!
Keep leaving this part out of your posts. For someone who claims NOT to  be obsessed about AMFA and doesn't care whether or not they get voted in, you sure don't pass up an opportunity to inject them in many a post.

MetalMover said:
You really like cherry picking statements, don't you.....The reason the TWU would be in favor of the TWU is because THEY ARE AGAINST THE ALLIANCE AND WOULD RATHER SEE AN ELECTION BETWEEN THE TWU AND IAM......
Keep leaving this part out of your posts. For someone who claims NOT to  be obsessed about AMFA and doesn't care whether or not they get voted in, you sure don't pass up an opportunity to inject them in many a post.

OK. We'll just talk about the three unions you want no part with....TWU, IAM, IBT.

NYer said:

OK. We'll just talk about the three unions you want no part with....TWU, IAM, IBT.
There is treatment for learning disabilities if you're interested. NO ALLIANCE-------> ELECTION BETWEEN THE TWU AND IAM------->TWU WINS------->SOC COMES, NEXT ELIGIBLE UNION VOTE, BOTH LAA AND LUS MECHANICS BOOT THE TWU OUT........The IBT had the best shot and screwed us over...Why would we return to them?

MetalMover said:
There is treatment for learning disabilities if you're interested. NO ALLIANCE-------> ELECTION BETWEEN THE TWU AND IAM------->TWU WINS------->SOC COMES, NEXT ELIGIBLE UNION VOTE, BOTH LAA AND LUS MECHANICS BOOT THE TWU OUT........The IBT had the best shot and screwed us over...Why would we return to them?
I have pie in the sky dreams to marry Jennifer Aniston but at least I'm a little grounded in reality.

WeAAsles said:
I have pie in the sky dreams to marry Jennifer Aniston but at least I'm a little grounded in reality.
So it is not realistic to change representation? Or just not AMFA? If you have been in the airline business any length of time, one rule to live by is never say never.

AMFAinMIAMI said:

You must be out of your Mind Look at UAL, they hate them and are now collecting cards to switch back to AMFA.

The CAL/UAL guys are the same union and have not gotten a joint CBA in what 5 yrs, have not even merged the seniority list. They have different benefits as well.

The union meetings are full of the industrial unions truckers/butchers/bakers/candlestickmakers. Airline people make up a fraction of the people.
They also have a multicompany pension plan which is in trouble. Hoffa does what ever he wants you know nothing about your suggestion.
I don't think UAL mechs have a pension.  Matter fact I know they do not.  This was one of the golden promises made by the teamsters to get in the door.  As this was just one, NONE of the promises they promised have came true...

WeAAsles said:
No hidden riddles, I've said that I support the association pretty plainly. Just hope the two sides were able to tweak some items personally?

Yes my vote was funny. Everyone thought it was 700UW because they were too dumb to click on the "view" tab, lol.
Tweak it by putting all Fleet in the IAM and all Maint in the TWU? Maybe the other way around? Hope not. 

swamt said:
I don't think UAL mechs have a pension.  Matter fact I know they do not.  This was one of the golden promises made by the teamsters to get in the door.  As this was just one, NONE of the promises they promised have came true...
They have what we and WN have, a 401K. 

swamt said:
sUAL has no retirement plan, not sure about sCO.
Yes, ibt promised 10 year vesting in their plan but it never came to fruition.
sUAL has a 401K match depending on age,
B) xUT

xUT said:
sUAL has no retirement plan, not sure about sCO.
Yes, ibt promised 10 year vesting in their plan but it never came to fruition.
sUAL has a 401K match depending on age,
B) xUT
401K match depending on age?  Never heard of this.  Please explain.  And does this mean some do not get a match if they are not a certain age?  Isn't that age discrimination?  Ok, I am probably jumping the gun, pls respond. Thx for the info though.

swamt said:
401K match depending on age?  Never heard of this.  Please explain.  And does this mean some do not get a match if they are not a certain age?  Isn't that age discrimination?  Ok, I am probably jumping the gun, pls respond. Thx for the info though.
Flight attendants have similar terms. Older workers get more match because they don't have enough time to build up their accounts. 

NYer said:

You haven't failed, you just don't have the support you believe you have.
I do believe more support will come after an announcement by the NMB.  With or without a vote for the association by the membership.  If there is a vote and there is a "write-in" option, then the AMFA "write-in" rally should start (if not now actually), and if there is no "write-in" option and the choices are association or no-union, then the cards will flood in during the 30 days after announcement.  At any point, if this election (if there is one) is handled by the NMB in full then there should be the "write-in" option as well as a 30 day period for card collection from another union to be turned in and then verified.  And BTW the support is there, I just do not know the exact numbers as AMFA organizers have been quiet this time around, and I believe it is not to tip off any more shananagans by the industrial unions again...

Back