TWU/IAM Association Poll

Are you for or against the proposed TWU/IAM Association?

• Total voters
swamt said:
C'mon 700.  Just like at all the airlines currently.  
Hey when it was just Piedmont 2444 was the only local in INT, if you worked in LAX you had to fly into CLT then fly or drive to GSO or INT and you had to be there Friday night as the meeting was first thing in the morning and the only flights were the day before.

It didnt work, the workers outside of INT/GSO had really no say in what happened.

So tell me how does a UPS mechanic in LAX attend the meeting SDF?

And where I worked for PI/US at we always had a local in our city.

swamt said:
401K match depending on age?  Never heard of this.  Please explain.  And does this mean some do not get a match if they are not a certain age?  Isn't that age discrimination?  Ok, I am probably jumping the gun, pls respond. Thx for the info though.

That APFA has the same kind of deal with their BK CBA. It was a sliding scale that started at 3% and went to 9.5% which was based on age.

swamt said:
I do believe more support will come after an announcement by the NMB.  With or without a vote for the association by the membership.  If there is a vote and there is a "write-in" option, then the AMFA "write-in" rally should start (if not now actually), and if there is no "write-in" option and the choices are association or no-union, then the cards will flood in during the 30 days after announcement.  At any point, if this election (if there is one) is handled by the NMB in full then there should be the "write-in" option as well as a 30 day period for card collection from another union to be turned in and then verified.  And BTW the support is there, I just do not know the exact numbers as AMFA organizers have been quiet this time around, and I believe it is not to tip off any more shananagans by the industrial unions again...

Keeping it quiet is counterproductive. If there is support then there should be a full court press to get those cards in there. The more time they take advantage of, the better chances it is they would be included.

I don't think there is enough support either way, but if there is and they're a majority, they are doing themselves a disservice by now taking advantage of the time given by the NMB's lack of a decision.

700UW said:
Hey when it was just Piedmont 2444 was the only local in INT, if you worked in LAX you had to fly into CLT then fly or drive to GSO or INT and you had to be there Friday night as the meeting was first thing in the morning and the only flights were the day before.

It didnt work, the workers outside of INT/GSO had really no say in what happened.

So tell me how does a UPS mechanic in LAX attend the meeting SDF?

And where I worked for PI/US at we always had a local in our city.
It's like that thru-out the industry, and at all airlines.  We have a local here in Dallas, the out stations have to fly in to attend the monthly meetings or read the updates givin on the web pages.  Also if they were read what coming up to vote on during the meeting, pretty sure some kind of absent tee ballot could be done.  You know it's very hard to have a union hall in every single city that you have one, two, three, four or even 10-20 mechanics, it just is not cost effective to operate that way and no union out there does it, not one of them.  Even the pilot groups don't have one in every city and they are probably the richest union groups out of all of us out here.  I guess to answer your question, yes, to this day they have to fly in to catch the meetings or depend on the members sign in web pages to get a more detailed updates, some unions may do conference call or skype their meetings over the web and can participate that way and their votes count.  I heard of this but have no clue of who might be using it, but it has been brought up in our local meetings about possibly going to it...

Bob Owens said:
Flight attendants have similar terms. Older workers get more match because they don't have enough time to build up their accounts. 

NYer said:

That APFA has the same kind of deal with their BK CBA. It was a sliding scale that started at 3% and went to 9.5% which was based on age.
I disagree with this type of different PS scales.  It's the exact same thing as A and B scale wages. Splits the employees.  The older employees should be able to use the catch up program and put up 50% or what ever is available to catch up.  All % for all employees should be the same because it is PS.  Your base wage is what will be the only difference in the amount different groups get.

NYer said:

Keeping it quiet is counterproductive. If there is support then there should be a full court press to get those cards in there. The more time they take advantage of, the better chances it is they would be included.

I don't think there is enough support either way, but if there is and they're a majority, they are doing themselves a disservice by now taking advantage of the time given by the NMB's lack of a decision.
I can assure you the AMFA organizers are hard at it, trust me on this one.

The pilots do have a local at every base, your wrong on that.

As for the IAM with fleet and maintenance usually have a local at most cities, but not all, but having them at most cities is more fair and democratic.

There are no absentee ballots for motions at the local lodge level.

So if their local isn't where they work they are basically shut out of participating in their local lodge business meetings, not democratic at all. Just like how the IBT put some SFO mechanics in the LAD Lodge or vice versa

How is it fair that all PMAA line maintenance is in one local?

That is not democratic nor fair.

swamt said:

I disagree with this type of different PS scales.  It's the exact same thing as A and B scale wages. Splits the employees.  The older employees should be able to use the catch up program and put up 50% or what ever is available to catch up.  All % for all employees should be the same because it is PS.  Your base wage is what will be the only difference in the amount different groups get.

I can assure you the AMFA organizers are hard at it, trust me on this one.

What is PS in this context?

700UW said:
How is it fair that all PMAA line maintenance is in one local?

That is not democratic nor fair.
What we have is more Democratic and fair than anything else I've seen out there.

Members get to vote on motions on line.  We have had better than 90% of eligible voters vote on many issues, they are not confined to having to attend a meeting to vote. 

We also have recall, our members can recall any Local official at any time for any reason. 

We actually had one member in Dallas complain that its "too democratic".  We no longer have a handful of guys determining what passes or fails because they were the only ones that weren't on a double, or working OT or on their day off, vacation, sick etc. Any member with Internet access who has registered can vote on any issue that affects them any time of the day or night. 

Bob Owens said:

We also have recall, our members can recall any Local official at any time for any reason. 

But can the members of the TWU recall the officers of the TWU International?  You know the TOP dogs.

swamt said:
But can the members of the TWU recall the officers of the TWU International?  You know the TOP dogs.
I would say NO since they are appointed..Another aspect of the TWU where members are shut out of the process. Also we have no say in their "Executive" like salaries either.

Back