TWU/IAM Association Poll

Are you for or against the proposed TWU/IAM Association?

• Total voters
MetalMover said:
I would say NO since they are appointed..Another aspect of the TWU where members are shut out of the process. Also we have no say in their "Executive" like salaries either.
With AMFA you have control of both that you mention by the membership.  Top dogs at National level including National Director, can be recalled by the "membership", and the constitution dictates the pay of the National Officers (which the bylaws are all made up by the membership and changed by the membership) the membership dictates the pay rates of the local officers.  We recently had a by-laws change sent out to the membership and a small pay raise for certain local officers was being asked for.  Bottom line the membership controls everything within AMFA--period.  LUV it this way...

Bob Owens said:

Bob I guess this is as good a time as any to ask you a question that was on my mind? It has now been one full year since the new administration has been in office at the TWU. So what is your assessment or grade of how Harry Lombardo, John Samuelsen and Alex Garcia are doing so far? Do you think the TWU as an organization is headed in the right or wrong direction?

If you had a ballot in front of you today who would you chose? AMFA, IAM or TWU?

Obviously I already know very well your thoughts on the Association so there's no point in asking that question.

Ok, here we are 1/6/2015……what are we up to 22, 23? weeks?…….Still waiting to hear from the NMB. Now what is the holdup? Local 591 lawsuit has been dismissed as having no standing, right? So it sounds as tho its pretty easy decision. Move forward, give the membership their right to vote. The NMB is costing the TWU/IAM membership money by withholding their rights to a vote!

99Roadstar said:
Ok, here we are 1/6/2015……what are we up to 22, 23? weeks?…….Still waiting to hear from the NMB. Now what is the holdup? Local 591 lawsuit has been dismissed as having no standing, right? So it sounds as tho its pretty easy decision. Move forward, give the membership their right to vote. The NMB is costing the TWU/IAM membership money by withholding their rights to a vote!
Right. Where is the all powerful AFL-CIOand their political influence? Why are they not pressing the NMB.

There is one poster who I truly feel has worked his tail off in bringing the AMFA to the forefront and bringing change to you guys. I think he (and I'm sure some others) has done all he can to allow AMFA to get a foothold at AA. But, I think AMFAinMIAMI has seen the writing on the wall and realizes the card drive lacks enough signatures to force change. What will the NMB rule? Will they allow for a write in, i.e AMFA? Don't know.
But I personally think it's time for you folks to start spending your energy more realistically and do all you can in forcing change "within" the TWU.

As I have said before, you guys/gals have been screwed in terms of pay and some benefits. If AMFA is not the answer, you guys need to find a way to collectively get what your peers at other airlines receive.

Kudos to AMFAinMIAMI and you other folks who fought for change, and good luck with whatever is the final outcome.

Concerning the NMB decision that is apparently so earth shattering that they need multiple months to decide, does anyone have any idea what the different positions are that the NMB asked for from both the IAM and TWU in October?

Is that privileged information? Or did I just miss that memo from the international?
I , for one, would be interested to read what each Union submitted to the NMB.
I don't know, call me crazy, but this does concern us, we should know where our union is standing on these issues. I don't think its above us, please tell us what you each told the NMB what your positions are.

http://www.twu567.org/pdfs/homepg/10-9-14NMBtoTWU-IAM.pdf

And here we are 22 weeks later and no info from anyone.  Nothing from the TWU, nothing from the IAM, nothing from the association, nothing from AA, and nothing from the NMB.  This is complete pathetic representation.  No information for all the members that this will affect.  Like I have said from the get go, SOMETHING is up, and you guys will know what that SOMETHING is when it hits you...

Judging by the poll, it seems like very few TWU members are comfortable with the Association.  I'm not sure why but there has been little to no education or communication about it from their leaders.  If the Association is going to fly, they better educate or inform their members on what is going on, unless they are trying to build momentum against the Association.  I wouldn't think the IAM would allow them out of the agreement unless the TWU agreed to an election mano mano, as opposed to the IAM having to get cards signed. Not saying that will happen but that's the only theory I can think of whereby the TWU can get out of the binding agreement. And, if there is an election, the TWU wouldn't be out of the woods, I don't get the idea here in ORD that their members think that the union did a good job. I get questions all the time, "How is the iAM?"  So, there is a strong interest.

I hope the Association works out and I assume we will know something by the end of the month. Otherwise....

Tim why did the TWU agree to the association? I know Trumka pushed it but you all should be TWU members and the IAM should have stepped aside like they did with TWA.

Josh

737823 said:
Tim why did the TWU agree to the association? I know Trumka pushed it but you all should be TWU members and the IAM should have stepped aside like they did with TWA.
Josh
^^^^^^^ This ^^^^^^^

Back