TWU ATD post IAM Alliance

bigjets said:
Wow, the IAM is really missing an opportunity to represent the mechanics and related at the largest airline, in order to jump in bed with, I'm guessing, the least respected (by it's own members) union.  

With Tulsa no longer having the numbers and losing work, the IAM could easily win an election at AA, The IAM is willing to strike for a contract that is a lot better then what we (TUL) voted in. 
I don't want another industrial union if given the chance.....No more TWU, No IAM and more importantly NO TEAMSTERS!
Have we not learned our lessons?

MetalMover said:
I don't want another industrial union if given the chance.....No more TWU, No IAM and more importantly NO TEAMSTERS!
Have we not learned our lessons?
Baaaaaaaa NO Baaaaaaa....

JMHO,
This IAM/TWU alliance is nuts.
The 'elected officials' of the IAM meet with the 'elected officials' of the TWU, when in fact neither are elected by the membership.
Then these yahoo's are going to split up IAM/TWU employees based on the membership recommendations? (recommendations...LOL)
Well, if the AA/US membership agree to this fiasco, not my concern, but it will telegraph how weak the membership is (as if this is any surprise... :p )
Good Luck Guy'z N' Gal'z, you are going to need it...
B) xUT

xUT said:
JMHO,
This IAM/TWU alliance is nuts.
The 'elected officials' of the IAM meet with the 'elected officials' of the TWU, when in fact neither are elected by the membership.
Then these yahoo's are going to split up IAM/TWU employees based on the membership recommendations? (recommendations...LOL)
Well, if the AA/US membership agree to this fiasco, not my concern, but it will telegraph how weak the membership is (as if this is any surprise... :p )
Good Luck Guy'z N' Gal'z, you are going to need it...
B) xUT
I've been telling them (both AA and US guys) this for several months now.  Really hope they get a clue before the vote is here...

Thomas Paine said:
I will be voting against having my class and craft being split between two unions, no matter what they threaten us with. If they say "either accept the alliance or no Union", well, then there is always AMFA or the IBT. I'm sure we wont have any problems finding someone who will be willing to take our dues and neither the TWU or IAM have done much for either of us other than land both of us the bottom of the industry.
Why T.P.! Do you really think it will be that easy?---- Now how is this supposed to work? If you work at one station, you are represented by the TWU, but if you transfer, or are bumped, to another, you may be be represented by the IAM? Or will there be fences around TWU stations, and IAM stations?---- But who will get the dues? And will they be the same? ----- Now I'm confused!!!

MCI transplant said:
Why T.P.! Do you really think it will be that easy?---- Now how is this supposed to work? If you work at one station, you are represented by the TWU, but if you transfer, or are bumped, to another, you may be be represented by the IAM? Or will there be fences around TWU stations, and IAM stations?---- But who will get the dues? And will they be the same? ----- Now I'm confused!!!
:eek: :huh: :unsure: :wacko: Your not alone brother.

700UW said:
Well, I see how your proposed system works well in making sure the dues keep flowing in to the dues collection agencies - TWU - IAM!  As if the TWU wasn't fractured enough, attempting to represent 7 different employee groups effectively. Now we are lead to believe that the TWU will be even more effective with this convoluted association with the IAM?  I will be voting NO on this deal.

700UW said:
The more times I read that the more convinced that I will be voting NO. We recently got control of the system boards, under this that goes back to being an appointed by the International position, along with the Negotiating committee and pretty much everything else. This is nothing more than a Financial agreement between two Unions, nothing in there is for the benefit of the members, its all about dues. I like how they have agreed that should the new AA buy another carrier that they will split up the dues proportionately. Not one section of the whole document addresses the members or the need to fix the damage that has been done to them, its all about dues and taking power away from those the members elect. Jim Little's final screwing. I will be voting NO.

The more times I read that the more convinced that I will be voting NO. We recently got control of the system boards, under this that goes back to being an appointed by the International position, along with the Negotiating committee and pretty much everything else. This is nothing more than a Financial agreement between two Unions, nothing in there is for the benefit of the members, its all about dues. I like how they have agreed that should the new AA buy another carrier that they will split up the dues proportionately. Not one section of the whole document addresses the members or the need to fix the damage that has been done to them, its all about dues and taking power away from those the members elect. Jim Little's final screwing. I will be voting NO.
Good to hear Bob. Now, how do you understand what a no vote will mean? And, Bob, who do you think will be conducting this election? I am pretty positive you understand the differences of the union or the NMB conducting the election, but not so sure many others out here do or care. I know you never answered my request before. Can you at least explain how you see the upcoming vote and what all the final results would mean?

swamt said:
Good to hear Bob. Now, how do you understand what a no vote will mean? And, Bob, who do you think will be conducting this election? I am pretty positive you understand the differences of the union or the NMB conducting the election, but not so sure many others out here do or care. I know you never answered my request before. Can you at least explain how you see the upcoming vote and what all the final results would mean?
Not sure because those are not decisions that I have any voice in. If the members reject the Alliance then the Presidents of both Unions are back to square one and will have to decide whether they will either support one or the other remaining or fight each other for us. We would stay in two unions under our current contracts until that's decided, No way would they turn around and leave us with "No union" because more than likely they are able to say "like it or not that's what we are doing" and still collect the dues. They aren't going to throw away millions because we rejected this BS deal.  To me having our dues split between two unions is anti-union, and unacceptable, that plus this agreement strips the members of being able to elect people who will actually negotiate for them or sit on arbitration panels etc. They need to keep class and craft together. If they want to split the current memberships to preserve dues that doesn't bother me as much as long as the class and craft are kept in one union, so if they turn us over to the IAM and the IAM gets all of Fleet or vice versa that's somewhat more palatable but no way am I going to be OK with splitting up Line Maintenance between two unions in this BS "Association".

Bob Owens said:
Not sure because those are not decisions that I have any voice in. If the members reject the Alliance then the Presidents of both Unions are back to square one and will have to decide whether they will either support one or the other remaining or fight each other for us. We would stay in two unions under our current contracts until that's decided, No way would they turn around and leave us with "No union" because more than likely they are able to say "like it or not that's what we are doing" and still collect the dues. They aren't going to throw away millions because we rejected this BS deal.  To me having our dues split between two unions is anti-union, and unacceptable, that plus this agreement strips the members of being able to elect people who will actually negotiate for them or sit on arbitration panels etc. They need to keep class and craft together. If they want to split the current memberships to preserve dues that doesn't bother me as much as long as the class and craft are kept in one union, so if they turn us over to the IAM and the IAM gets all of Fleet or vice versa that's somewhat more palatable but no way am I going to be OK with splitting up Line Maintenance between two unions in this BS "Association".
This is pretty much what I was thinking too.

I'll also be voting NO, or using the write-in option if available.

But sadly, here in my station, most don't know anything about any "alliance".  Or maybe they just don't care. 

But anyways, due that lack of knowledge, most will probably vote yes without reading anything.  Just like all the times in the past.

To sum it up, the Alliance isn't about us , the membership, its all about them and how they share the spoils. Vote No. We need one Union that will fight for us, not two who want to share us.

Back