TWU and the Company reached a Tentative Agreement

TWU Informer: With 6 comments in the last few pages, you really are raising your sales pitch:

Foe example - how many of your comments have we read recently?

- 213, 214, 221, 223, 224, 227, 233, 236, 251, 255. Not bad, only 10!

BTW, I'm not attacking your character, I just don't agree with your perception of reality.
He has a lot to deal with, AMFA drive, getting over failed AMP drive (AMFA in drag), defending Owens, trying to shoot down the TA, attacking the Int'l reps, tracking all his distortings of the truth, trying to explain away how AMFA lost over 20,000 of their members jobs, blaming the AFL-CIO for everything, etc...

And somewhere in between he is fixing aircraft apparently.

Reality will be the 78's and Airbus metal not maintained by english speaking folk if you want to vote this trash in.
Total lie. The language is based on maintenance spend. If AA acquires 100 787s and over 200 A320s then airframe work will have to be done in house to a large degree. Another one of Bob's lies you swallowed.

July 11, 2012

To the Membership,

I would not characterize the latest offer by A/A for M&R as a “tentative agreement” but rather the companies “Last Best Offer version 2.0.” The reason I say this is, because, the so called T/A was defined as AA’s last best offer to the M&R negotiating team. The meetings that took place were categorized as negotiations however from the onset AA management determined where they were going to allocate the money from the “me too clause” and spoke to the point of only needing a few hundred more “yes” votes to get this deal done.

The Stores negotiating team was able to secure a slightly better deal with a 5.2% pay raise at DOS, when you include the skill premium. The Stores group was also able to retain their 6[sup]th[/sup] week of vacation and improve their job scope language.

With that said, at no point during the week did Mr. Durst or Mr. Ream chose to take the time to listen to concerns being expressed by the line maintenance negotiators; although both were asked to do so. Both men expressed the fact that they were not interested in sitting down and talking with us; saying they were done talking with us and this was a take it or leave it offer. So in my opinion, we are asked to accept another threat in the form of LBO II. While it may be tempting to grab what we can now, this is a six-year extension, which makes this a ten-year deal. The fact that A/A will provide a move to the middle of the pack in pay at 36-months sounds good but what happens after that, two 1.5% pay raises and then another 5 years without a raise? We must negotiate an agreement, not be strong armed into accepting a contract written by AA management.

Over the next few weeks, I will be out on the floor taking with the membership about why this “LBO II” is just another slap in the face to the membership. Even though a no vote may create a difficult situation for a period of time, voting yes will create six more years of working for less, in both pay and benefits, than nearly every other carrier in the industry, including those who are non-union. It will also allow AA unlimited reductions-in-force - since there is no system protection, outsourcing at levels which are easily manipulated by erroneous data, and the freezing of the pension – also, in order to get any company match you will need to invest at least 3% of your money.

Gary Peterson
President

Another AMFA sympathizer coming out of the closet following the Owens/AMFA party line! You better be careful, If Owens comes to a sudden stop, you'll run into his rear end.
Well Gary isn't much of a negotiator. Buck correctly assessed the Stores VC issue earlier. Give up one year of a raise for the majority of your membership for 20 some odd people? Not smart and Gary's B school must not be helping him add up numbers. He needs to stop listening to the Owens BS.

And Ream and Durst not listening to your concerns? If the APA passes their deal we are a secondary concern. The pilots got theirs and AA mgmt has to have their deal sewed up. We lack leverage and Gary, Owens, Ruiz, and Rojas fail to understand that. Didnt Gary say in his last letter that we would get a way better deal? We haven't even gotten back to the July 2010 TA level the Owens brain trust told us to vote down? Keep voting no is a kick ass strategy!

How many 401k's match before reaching a funding threshold? Gary needs to do some more homework before he writes anymore letters.

Total lie. The language is based on maintenance spend. If AA acquires 100 787s and over 200 A320s then airframe work will have to be done in house to a large degree. Another one of Bob's lies you swallowed.

Raptorman, is this you?

this deal does not save any jobs, due to the fleet upgrade probably half or more of tulsa will be history within 24 months.
I voted yes in 2010 even though all the moroon officers at 514 advocated a no vote. Now that most of them have skin in the game with possible layoff, now they say vote yes. Now it is time to fight and tell this company to shuve it where the sun does not shine. Now it is time to stand for wages and benefits that is what unions are suppose to do, savings jobs lower on the tottum pole.

Well Gary isn't much of a negotiator. Buck correctly assessed the Stores VC issue earlier. Give up one year of a raise for the majority of your membership for 20 some odd people? Not smart and Gary's B school must not be helping him add up numbers. He needs to stop listening to the Owens BS.

And Ream and Durst not listening to your concerns? If the APA passes their deal we are a secondary concern. The pilots got theirs and AA mgmt has to have their deal sewed up. We lack leverage and Gary, Owens, Ruiz, and Rojas fail to understand that. Didnt Gary say in his last letter that we would get a way better deal? We haven't even gotten back to the July 2010 TA level the Owens brain trust told us to vote down? Keep voting no is a kick ass strategy!

How many 401k's match before reaching a funding threshold? Gary needs to do some more homework before he writes anymore letters.

Perhaps you dont feel that we should be paid at the very least as much as United Mechanics are paid but I do. But then again you dont have to live under this deal, we do.

Why do you feel that we should settle for around $8/hr in value less than what UAL currently gets paid? To keep headcount numbers high so the International reps dont have to give up their membership paid for cars?(Need I remind you that the International cut heads before they cut pay or benefits?)

UAL currently tops out at $38.40 with the Taxi Premium, ($40.40 if you inclide the Geo Pay).
We would be topping out at $34.10
But its the other things we dont get that add up and drive the difference in pay up to $16,495.

For a 20 year line mechanic our vacation package would be worth $5456
Same criteria at UAL is worth $7680 (they get one more week every year than we do

Our Holiday package would be worth $682
At UAL its worth $3686.40

Our annual sick pay package would be worth as much as $1364

Our annual wage based on 2080 hours would be a max of $70,928 vs UALs $79,872, add in those benefits and it comes out to a "Total Value" of $78430 at AA vs $94,925 at UAL.

And, thats only the money, the work rules is another horror story. The company basically wants non-union work rules where they dictate what the rules are.

UAL is not at the top of the industry either.

This is unacceptable. UAL starts negotiations in a few months, USAIR is in Mediation and Southwest becomes amendable in 2013, if we vote this in we once again hurt the profession. In the name of saving a few jobs at AA (that usually end up going away anyway) we would be helping to drive down wages of ALL mechanics across the industry. Overspeed is a liar, he is not who he portrays himself to be and he cares nothing about the profession.

BTW, the vote was rigged from the start. The International got two fleet service clerks who only ever show up when the International needs their Yes vote, to all of a sudden appear at Negotiations. Just to make certain the vote went their way they called for the Roll Call.

The Five Cornerstone cities and AFW all voted against this. Hopefully there will be enough guys in Tulsa who care about the profession for another rejection.

this deal does not save any jobs, due to the fleet upgrade probably half or more of tulsa will be history within 24 months.
I voted yes in 2010 even though all the moroon officers at 514 advocated a no vote. Now that most of them have skin in the game with possible layoff, now they say vote yes. Now it is time to fight and tell this company to shuve it where the sun does not shine. Now it is time to stand for wages and benefits that is what unions are suppose to do, savings jobs lower on the tottum pole.

Well I think it would take more than 24 months but you are right, Tulsa will shrink when the new planes come, whether we get the work on the Airbus and 787 or not.

Here is what they handed us this week:

"In the event the Company decides to contract out work in addition to that listed on the previous page it may do so if (1) the additional work does not result in outsourcing above the percentage cap stated in Article 1(e) or (2) ,,,,"

So yes it does say the cap is stated in 1(e). Well here is what 1(e) says as of last week;

"Contracting Out of Work-To allow the company flexibility in outsourcing Aircraft-related maintenance [but also establish certain limits on the outsourcing of work] the company and the Union have agreed to establish limits on the amount of work the company may outsource, including work that is currently outsourced. ,,,,, ,,,,,, ,,,,, The company and the Union agree to limit the percentage of outsourced Aircraft-related Maintenance to not exceed 35% subject to exclusions or modifications described elsewhere in this agreement."
(Bold and underline added).

So its 35% subject to exclusions or modifications described elsewhere in this agreement. In other words more. The full text is supposed to come out Friday, we will see what "exclusions and modifications" they threw in there then (dont blame me I voted against bringing this back). Some of its in there but experience has shown that its best to see the final langauge before you decide. And as you pointed out its "maintenance spend". Whats included in Maintenance Spend? Pretty much everything, so if we just work on the most expensive stuff, with the most expensive parts like United and Delta, it would allow the company to outsource more than half the labor man hours, in other words-Jobs. Arent we being told that we should all accept a contract worth at least $16495 per year per mechanic less than what UAL gets in order to save jobs? It would likely allow them to cut our headcount to a ratio as low as both of those carriers.The only reason why it may fall short is because our wages would be so low in comparasion AA would reach the 35% threshold sooner than they would at Delta or United.

Outsourcing %=Outside Service Costs /(Direct Labor cost +Direct Material cost +Outside Service Costs)

it also says;

In the event that the TAESL joint venture shrinks by 25% or more versus the full year 2011 period, or is terminated the outsourcing limits will be adjusted accordingly. In other words increased, the spend for outsourcing can go above 35% if TAESL drops off, arent we getting rid of the 757s?.

And lets not forget this:

" It is understood that nothing in this Article requires the maintenance of the present volume of work"

and:
Article 42 JOB SECURITY ELIMINATED!!

Perhaps you dont feel that we should be paid at the very least as much as United Mechanics are paid but I do. But then again you dont have to live under this deal, we do.

Why do you feel that we should settle for around $8/hr in value less than what UAL currently gets paid? To keep headcount numbers high so the International reps dont have to give up their membership paid for cars?(Need I remind you that the International cut heads before they cut pay or benefits?)

UAL currently tops out at $38.40 with the Taxi Premium, ($40.40 if you inclide the Geo Pay).
But its the other things we dont get that add up and drive the difference in pay up to $16,495.

Same criteria at UAL is worth $7680 (they get one more week every year than we do

Our annual wage based on 2080 hours would be a max of $70,928 vs UALs $79,872, add in those benefits and it comes out to a "Total Value" of $78430 at AA vs $94,925 at UAL.

And, thats only the money, the work rules is another horror story. The company basically wants non-union work rules where they dictate what the rules are.

This is unacceptable. UAL starts negotiations in a few months, USAIR is in Mediation and Southwest becomes amendable in 2013, if we vote this in we once again hurt the profession. In the name of saving a few jobs at AA (that usually end up going away anyway) we would be helping to drive down wages of ALL mechanics across the industry. Overspeed is a liar, he is not who he portrays himself to be and he cares nothing about the profession.

BTW, the vote was rigged from the start. The International got two fleet service clerks who only ever show up when the International needs their Yes vote, to all of a sudden appear at Negotiations. Just to make certain the vote went their way they called for the Roll Call.

The Five Cornerstone cities and AFW all voted against this. Hopefully there will be enough guys in Tulsa who care about the profession for another rejection.

I care about the profession Bob!

Thanks for the info Bob

Raptorman, is this you?

No it's not me & in fact I don't agree with that statement I think that most of the Maintenance on the new planes will be done by the vendors when the planes actually get to the point of needing Maintenance, I doubt it will be done by AA Mechanics & that is why as we get new planes there are going to continue to be more layoffs, there is nothing the TWU or any Union can do to stop it, Maintenance is going to shrink over time so there is no point in trading pay & benefits for keeping jobs that still won't be kept.

Well I think it would take more than 24 months but you are right, Tulsa will shrink when the new planes come, whether we get the work on the Airbus and 787 or not.

I agree it will take longer than 24 months because the new planes will trickle in over time not all be here in 24 months but yes it will happen eventually & there is nothing any of us can do to stop it.

Here is what they handed us this week:

So yes it does say the cap is stated in 1(e). Well here is what 1(e) says as of last week;

(Bold and underline added).

So its 35% subject to exclusions or modifications described elsewhere in this agreement. In other words more. The full text is supposed to come out Friday, we will see what "exclusions and modifications" they threw in there then (dont blame me I voted against bringing this back). Some of its in there but experience has shown that its best to see the final langauge before you decide. And as you pointed out its "maintenance spend". Whats included in Maintenance Spend? Pretty much everything, so if we just work on the most expensive stuff, with the most expensive parts like United and Delta, it would allow the company to outsource more than half the labor man hours, in other words-Jobs. Arent we being told that we should all accept a contract worth at least $16495 per year per mechanic less than what UAL gets in order to save jobs? It would likely allow them to cut our headcount to a ratio as low as both of those carriers.The only reason why it may fall short is because our wages would be so low in comparasion AA would reach the 35% threshold sooner than they would at Delta or United.

it also says;

And lets not forget this:

and:
Article 42 JOB SECURITY ELIMINATED!!

Well said ! , I agree a contract will not save or protect jobs.

Back