SWA now getting involved with slot (s) possibilities

WorldTraveler said:
WN will still have to compete against DL who has a very good track record against all 3 carriers.
Only AFTER they went bankrupt, right?

The rest of your post is nonsense.
I could care less if Southern Northwest Airlines controls all 4 of the remaining gates at Love Field.
SWA will still control 80% of the gates there and will still compete against all comers aggressively.
Even with the artificial advantages your fav airline has created by shedding all their debt in bankruptcy court, we will do just fine.

You call SWA good management which has allowed them to remain profitable for 40 consecutive years, and counting, "strategic failures" yet you think DL has done nothing wrong by being driven into bankruptcy by their own poor decisions.

Brilliant.

WN made the strategic decision not to try to compete in the top NE business markets. If they had, they would have a lot more to show for their presence at LGA. There has been one BK airline after another that WN could have acquired slots from if they wanted to.

WN's strategic failure to acquire assets at LGA and DCA doesn't mean they haven't been profitable by flying elsewhere.

You can bring up BK all you want but it has no bearing on this case.

WN failed to show an interest in LGA and DCA and now wants to be treated as a disadvantaged carrier. As the largest domestic airline with 40 years of profitability, disadvantaged is the last thing they are.

WN will have to compete with a much broader pool of airlines for the assets they want from the AA/US divestiture process.

If DL ends up with 4 gates at DAL, that will be even better. I think they would be satisfied with just 2.... they can serve enough of the top markets with just 2 gates.

And I never said that WN wouldn't do very well at DAL... but I have said they won't have a monopoly on the airport or preferential access to the AA/US slots to the exclusion of everyone else and solely to serve a handful of top, high-demand markets.

WorldTraveler said:
WN made the strategic decision not to try to compete in the top NE business markets. If they had, they would have a lot more to show for their presence at LGA. There has been one BK airline after another that WN could have acquired slots from if they wanted to.
And WN is going to do just that.
From bankrupt AA.
So is it a strategic failure now?

WorldTraveler said:
If DL ends up with 4 gates at DAL, that will be even better. I think they would be satisfied with just 2.... they can serve enough of the top markets with just 2 gates.

And I never said that WN wouldn't do very well at DAL... but I have said they won't have a monopoly on the airport or preferential access to the AA/US slots to the exclusion of everyone else and solely to serve a handful of top, high-demand markets.
So let me get this straight.
It is ok for Delta to only serve the top markets from Love field, but if SWA does it from a hand full of slots at LGA or DCA then you got a problem with that?

Ok I think that explains it pretty well.

By the way, when SWA does it, fares will go down on those routes. Delta had plenty of time to present a case to the DOJ, and have so far failed to convince them that DL should get any LGA or DCA slots.

WNs case is not that we are disadvantaged.
SWA is a powerhouse that will redefine and lower fares in the markets it serves from LGA and DCA.

Our case is strong and you are the only one whining.

WN could have bought slots and gates from any carrier at any time over the past 40 years but it would have had to compete with other carriers for those assets. What it won't be allowed to do this time around is to participate in a process that excludes other carriers from the process or allocates the assets all to low fare carriers, to the detriment of the American public which won't benefit in the least from seeing B6 and WN add service to perhaps a dozen cities but allow AA/US to eliminate service to many small/medium sized cities in the process.

If even 1/3 of the slots at DCA were allocated to carriers other than B6 and WN or reserved for service to small/medium sized cities, we likely wouldn't be having this discussion and there likely would be no basis for a legal challenge to what the DOJ did.

The fact that the DOJ is allocating 44 flights solely to B6 and WN and is willing to allow AA/US to cut service to small cities in the process is the problem. WN could do what it needs to do with 16 new flights/day... using the 737-800 in WN's config, that is over 3000 seats/day which is more than enough to provide plenty of pricing discipline.

DL isn't asking for 100% of the available gates at DAL or a preferential bidding process on them between WN and B6. DL wants to be able to bid on the gates at DL and some of the slots at DCA on equal basis with other carriers (for swamt that means with no "if you qualify and since you don't you won't get any" language)

DL is the dominant carrier from MDW/ORD combined to DL's hubs of ATL/DTW/MSP.

WorldTraveler said:
WN could have bought slots and gates from any carrier at any time over the past 40 years but it would have had to compete with other carriers for those assets. What it won't be allowed to do this time around is to participate in a process that excludes other carriers from the process or allocates the assets all to low fare carriers, to the detriment of the American public which won't benefit in the least from seeing B6 and WN add service to perhaps a dozen cities but allow AA/US to eliminate service to many small/medium sized cities in the process.

If even 1/3 of the slots at DCA were allocated to carriers other than B6 and WN or reserved for service to small/medium sized cities, we likely wouldn't be having this discussion and there likely would be no basis for a legal challenge to what the DOJ did.

The fact that the DOJ is allocating 44 flights solely to B6 and WN and is willing to allow AA/US to cut service to small cities in the process is the problem. WN could do what it needs to do with 16 new flights/day... using the 737-800 in WN's config, that is over 3000 seats/day which is more than enough to provide plenty of pricing discipline.

DL isn't asking for 100% of the available gates at DAL or a preferential bidding process on them between WN and B6.

DL is the dominant carrier from MDW/ORD combined to DL's hubs of ATL/DTW/MSP.
And of course if DL gets any slots at LGA or DCA they will only serve small cities?

Sure.

And even if they did, they would bring down fares on those routes?

Sure.

Good luck selling that crap to the DOJ.

Good luck thinking that Congress will be happy to see dozens of flights to small and medium cities get axed so WN and B6 can battle new AA in the biggest cities in the US.

WorldTraveler said:
Good luck thinking that Congress will be happy to see dozens of flights to small and medium cities get axed so WN and B6 can battle new AA in the biggest cities in the US.
Top members of the transportation committee have already voiced those concerns ( on behalf of Delta no doubt).

Try and keep up.

But the main concern is lower fares on all those routes.
And THAT my friend, is where SWA and JB come in.
Not Delta.

WorldTraveler said:
if you are calling Kev to make the case on the legality of the deal, you are sunk.  Just hang it up now.

Quit reading after your first sent.  As usual you are wrong.  I did no such call upon Kev.  You see you are always suggesting what others are saying or what they mean, when in fact you don't have a clue. Besides Kevs post has nothing to do with the agreement.  You fail, or rather, you cannot grasp when someone is slamming your post.  My post merely was completely agreeing with Kevs observances of you.  LOL...  Keep doing what you do.

WNMECH said:
My point it is that the old Delta has already lost.

Now we have a new airline in its place. Southern Northwest Airlines.
This new creation was built from two failed airlines.
This new airline was not built by good management, contoling costs and winning through competition.
It was thrown together with what could be salvaged from the two failed companies.

Now they are exploiting artificial advantages that they could only achieve for the bankruptcy process.

Winning? Ridiculous.

Now if you want to debate that they may or may not be the best failed airline, we can talk about that but I think the new AA/US failed pair may want that title.

Come back when the new Southern Northwest Airlines has over 40 years of consecutive profits.
LMAO!!!    How dare you to criticize the ALMIGHTY Delta airlines in his presence...

Top members of the transportation committee have already voiced those concerns ( on behalf of Delta no doubt).

Try and keep up.

But the main concern is lower fares on all those routes.
And THAT my friend, is where SWA and JB come in.
Not Delta.
You forgot the concerns about the loss of service to small/medium sized cities. Apparently another ***?

When the settlement agreement is finalized and DL gets kicked out of DAL and there is no mechanism for ensuring service to small/medium sized cities by other carriers, let me know.

WNMECH said:
So let me get this straight.
It is ok for Delta to only serve the top markets from Love field, but if SWA does it from a hand full of slots at LGA or DCA then you got a problem with that?

Ok I think that explains it pretty well.

By the way, when SWA does it, fares will go down on those routes. Delta had plenty of time to present a case to the DOJ, and have so far failed to convince them that DL should get any LGA or DCA slots.

WNs case is not that we are disadvantaged.
SWA is a powerhouse that will redefine and lower fares in the markets it serves from LGA and DCA.

Our case is strong and you are the only one whining.
Delta had plenty of time to present a case to the DOJ, and have so far failed to convince them that DL should get any LGA or DCA slots.

Yes they did.  Now let's see if Delta is smart enough to participate before another deadline is reached, already out in the open.

Back