Pilots want a Raise

I'm going to try this one last time.

Let's say you work 40 hours a week for $20,000 a year. Taking a 10% paycut means you work 40 hours a week for $18,000 a year.

Taking a 20% paycut means you work 40 hours a week for $16,000 a year.

Taking a 50% paycut means you work 40 hours a week for $10,000 a year.

Taking a 90% paycut means you work 40 hours a week for $2,000 a year (ignore the effect of minimum wage for the purposes of this example).

Taking a 99% paycut means you work 40 hours a week for $200 a year.

Taking a 100% paycut means you work 40 hours a week for $0 a year.

Got it?

I'm going to try this one last time.

Let's say you work 40 hours a week for $20,000 a year. Taking a 10% paycut means you work 40 hours a week for $18,000 a year.

Taking a 20% paycut means you work 40 hours a week for $16,000 a year.

Taking a 50% paycut means you work 40 hours a week for $10,000 a year.

Taking a 90% paycut means you work 40 hours a week for $2,000 a year (ignore the effect of minimum wage for the purposes of this example).

Taking a 99% paycut means you work 40 hours a week for $200 a year.

Taking a 100% paycut means you work 40 hours a week for $0 a year.

Got it?

And taking 100% pay cut means you don't collect any pay in the airline world: translation...FURLOUGHED!

Got it! :up:

I suspect if we'd agree to show up and work for free then they would let us, hence a 100% paycut. Since they're actually smart enough to know that we wouldn't do that, they simply furloughed us. If your pay is cut to zero, regardless of your work status, you've taken a 100% paycut. Two separate issues, work and pay, but thanks for playing!

That's like saying you "gave" your wallet to the mugger holding a gun to your head.

We had two choices, what we have and unemployment.

Nobody was going to pony up the money to save the pension.

No, trader. It was not a binary decision.

In fact, had you followed the facts, you would have realized that there were many options. The ALPA MEC took the option most damaging to the line pilots, you know, those who pay dues to ALPA.

Has it not dawned on you that four months later management attempted to get $55 mill from the bk judge, reward for duping the "leaders" of the pilot group?

Perhaps pulling your head out of the sand may enable a more intellectual viewpoint than that of a kindergardener.

Saving the pension was not on the table. Scoring a "win" was.

Sheez, I can't believe we have people so, um, naive, here.

You may wish to look into how the Shuttle dudes stood to gain from terminating the pension versus any other option. Consider also how many Shuttle dudes had votes on the MEC.

IPSO FACTO

I suspect if we'd agree to show up and work for free then they would let us, hence a 100% paycut. Since they're actually smart enough to know that we wouldn't do that, they simply furloughed us. If your pay is cut to zero, regardless of your work status, you've taken a 100% paycut. Two separate issues, work and pay, but thanks for playing!

So, if you are to receive zero pay from your current job, it doesn't make any difference to you whether you continue to work at your current job, stay at home and watch TV, or work somewhere else for pay? I find that hard to believe.

What we have here is failure to communicate.

:up: :up:

LMAO! :D

JS can be a nice guy when he wants to be, but his soon-to-be ex has convinced a judge to take something like 90% of his current after-tax pay for spousal maintenance/support. I'd be cranky as hell if I were him. He seems particularly cranky over this issue.

JS: This too shall pass. Some day things will get better. B)

100% pay cut literally means slave labor, figuritively,it means furloughed. Some prune juice is in order. Cheers.

:up: :up:

LMAO! :D

JS can be a nice guy when he wants to be, but his soon-to-be ex has convinced a judge to take something like 90% of his current after-tax pay for spousal maintenance/support. I'd be cranky as hell if I were him. He seems particularly cranky over this issue.

JS: This too shall pass. Some day things will get better. B)

Is that like taking a 90% pay cut? Which means he is working 40 hours a week for 10% of his current pay...

Whoa...I get it! :up: His Ex is like the U senior Execs.

JS,

Tell your employer to just furlough you. This way, you can show the judge you had taken a 100% pay cut and have NO income. Then, you can volunteer your work to your employer, save them major money in wages, and piss your ex off.

Now, that's a plan...

Is that like taking a 90% pay cut? Which means he is working 40 hours a week for 10% of his current pay...

Whoa...I get it! :up:

JS, tell your employer to just furlough you. This way, you can show the judge you had taken a 100% pay cut and have NO income. Then, you can volunteer your work to your employer, save them major money in wages, and piss your ex off.

Now, that's a plan...

Well, I'm trying, sorta! :p I stopped working overtime and have refused two business trips, one short and one long. They won't fire me (we are growing, not contracting), unless I do something to get fired for cause, which would not solve any problems!

JS,

Well, lets walk down this road for a minute...

If you get fired, the Ex will get NOTHING. You leave the state, collect unemployment for a while, then, get a job and make her hunt you.

By then, she will maybe find some poor sucker to marry, and v-walla, no marital support.

I couldn't agree more across the board, with an emphasis on Express pilots as well. B)

I'll "one up" you, Sir. There should be NO Express, connection, commmuter, Eagle-Beagle, alter ego, B-scale airlines or pilots. Delta should be Delta. US Airways should be US Airways, etc, etc.

Can't serve the city with mainline service and mainline crews (with smaller aircraft then too bad. Ride the bus.

121 has taken too much of a direct hit... accross the board. It's time for some payback... for everyone.

JS,
Those who are furloughed are the pilots who took a 100% pay cut from U.

Total 1,879 from mainline.
Exactly!

Actually, the number is 1,500+ now. I guess three hundred or so just decided to say, "I'm out Jerry!!"

Actually, the number is 1,500+ now. I guess three hundred or so just decided to say, "I'm out Jerry!!"

That, a few deaths (unfortunately), or retired (which is something to wrap you mind around - it ain't supposed to work that way).

Jim

some would just take longer than others. Doesn't make them special, more deserving of raises, or anything like that.Even ComAir diesn't have the number of airplanes required, much less the seats, to replace the US mainline. Plus I expect DL would have something to say about them moving all their airplanes over to US flying - at least for now. DL does own ComAir, after all.

Jim
How about
Piedmont Airlines
PSA
Colgan Air
Chautauqua Airlines
Mesa Air
Trans States Airlines
Shuttle America
Mesaba
Air Wisconsin
Republic
The list goes on and on jetBlue Southwest Spirit Virgin America. Just cut a deal little stock here little stock their.ALPA seems not to worry on crossing the line just my take on things. the time line to replace the flying is getting shorter and shorter with practice(Air Wisconsin,Mesa ect)

Back