overhaul

Why is it the union's job to get rid of slugs?

The union should be the first line of defense against incompetent, lazy mechanics. That way a steward would be looked upon with respect from management instead of some sheet house lawyer. The steward should be the model employee that is respected by all, management and union brothers alike. A steward should just submit righteous grievances instead of filing a grievance for some guy trying to get over on the company, those BS grievances make us all look bad.

The union should be the first line of defense against incompetent, lazy mechanics. That way a steward would be looked upon with respect from management instead of some sheet house lawyer. The steward should be the model employee that is respected by all, management and union brothers alike. A steward should just submit righteous grievances instead of filing a grievance for some guy trying to get over on the company, those BS grievances make us all look bad.
I am no fan of the TWU, but mine is a more political position. However I would like to point out that the companies "Just Cause" policy protects the mechanics through a investigation, fact finding phase even if a 29F is started.

The Union protects slugs on the Local level because we keep electing slugs via the good o'le boy system.

Demand debates and open Q&A of your candidates in front of voters and then participate in those events.

You will then see a change in your Local Union.

Slugs will protect Slugs

EXACTLY !!! ......how many Union officials you know were above average mechanics and had a good work ethic?

The compAAny has to try to fire them for being a slug first. I've never heard of an attempted termination for lack of production.
You are correct, I have never heard of anyone getting fired for lack of production but there are many ways to be a slug and a detriment to our workgroup. Sick Time abuse, chronic tardiness, sleeping etc.... The union will protect them every time. I can honestly say that I have never seen anyone get walked out at AA that didn't deserve it but I have seen far too many get back that are slugs.

You are correct, I have never heard of anyone getting fired for lack of production but there are many ways to be a slug and a detriment to our workgroup. Sick Time abuse, chronic tardiness, sleeping etc.... The union will protect them every time. I can honestly say that I have never seen anyone get walked out at AA that didn't deserve it but I have seen far too many get back that are slugs.
Once again managment not doing their job!!All it takes is documentation,they fall back on the old the" Union is the problem " statement.

Once again managment not doing their job!!All it takes is documentation,they fall back on the old the" Union is the problem " statement.

Absolutely management could do more. But that is not what the original post was about. It was a response to a post about the union protecting slugs. If you can say that the union doesn't protect known slugs then I guess we belong to a different union. It is my feeling that that is ALL they have become good at. They sure haven't been able communicate the industry reality to it's members and sell itself as a bargain to the company. How can they when their objective is the total opposite of AA's?

http://www.star-telegram.com/2012/02/09/3724032/tom-horton-is-a-kinder-gentler.html

Just sayin`

Gotta love the TWU Strategy of picketing DFW on one day, and then begging for a $75,000.00 Early Retirement Plan the next.

I can see this going along way towards protecting OUR interest in this matter.

Can you say "STUPID, IS, AS STUPID DOES"?

Don't forget that the working togetherness of the union and Human Resource. We know that HR is holding the TWU's feet to the fire.

Gotta love the TWU Strategy of picketing DFW on one day, and then begging for a $75,000.00 Early Retirement Plan the next.

I can see this going along way towards protecting OUR interest in this matter.

Can you say "STUPID, IS, AS STUPID DOES"?

I would think that instead of $75000, the outlay of money could be used for $12500, expenses for AFW if necessary.

I would think that instead of $75000, the outlay of money could be used for $12500, expenses for AFW if necessary.
Agree! Wow, the union really looking out for those who are about to lose their jobs and IF there's a bump and roll that money would be better suited towards them. Way to look out for us TWSCREW! Pay the old guys that need to retire anyway, give them money to leave but forget about those still here and will need the money. F-ing great idea.

Maybe you guys fail to understand that since restrictions on nepotism were lifted at AA, the TWU Local and International Officers have influenced their relatives to be placed on the payroll with the least amount of seniority.

Saving these individuals jobs comes before all others needs.

Your Pay, Your Benefits, Your Severance, Your Future, all come second to saving the relatives.

Maybe you guys fail to understand that since restrictions on nepotism were lifted at AA, the TWU Local and International Officers have influenced their relatives to be placed on the payroll with the least amount of seniority.

Saving these individuals jobs comes before all others needs.

Your Pay, Your Benefits, Your Severance, Your Future, all come second to saving the relatives.

Relatives??? You don't have to be related but merely have gone to the same podunk high school or even a rival podunk high school... IMO the best technicians came from outside the NE Okla. area from aircraft manufacturers such as Lockheed, Rockwell and not to mention the military.. Not to say their aren't some good people from the area but the mindset from the native Oklahoma people is if you get on at AA you got it MADE!!

And the main reason the building cleaner position has been protected for so long..

Back