Oregon Shooting

• Banned
KCFlyer said:
Last I heard, state law trumps school rule.  They may well be a gun free campus.  Could you tell me how they got around the Oregon law that specifically stated that this did not apply to someone holding a concealed carry permit?  Read with your own eyes.
Write or wrong, college imposed their own rules, as so much even the security guards were unarmed.

townpete said:
Write or wrong, college imposed their own rules, as so much even the security guards were unarmed.

The fact of the matter is that Oregon state law said that someone with a CC permit COULD have a gun on campus.  Now...brietbart had an article that a guy with a gun 200 yards away who knew Oregon law....he had a gun on campus...against the "school rule".  But he couldn't get there in time.  So much for the "gun free zone".  At least one person knew the law.   But it's "inconvenient" to admit that while it was a "gun free zone" - it didn't mean that 1) that was the reason the shoooter chose where he went and 2) people COULD (and apparently did) have guns. 

• Banned
KCFlyer said:
The fact of the matter is that Oregon state law said that someone with a CC permit COULD have a gun on campus.  Now...brietbart had an article that a guy with a gun 200 yards away who knew Oregon law....he had a gun on campus...against the "school rule".  But he couldn't get there in time.  So much for the "gun free zone".  At least one person knew the law.   But it's "inconvenient" to admit that while it was a "gun free zone" - it didn't mean that 1) that was the reason the shoooter chose where he went and 2) people COULD (and apparently did) have guns.
That's for you to twist and squirm about.

Fact is the college deemed itself a gun free zone and was enforced as so. Even so much as reflected by the college president.

Was it wrong to do so?

Captain obvious has the answer for you.

townpete said:
That's for you to twist and squirm about.

Fact is the college deemed itself a gun free zone and was enforced as so. Even so much as reflected by the college president.

Was it wrong to do so?

Captain obvious has the answer for you.

Apparently someone on that campus DID have a gun...despite the ban.  So not only was it not really a gun free zone...a "good guy with a gun" was on campus..he was just 200 yards away.  Spin it however you like - 

KCFlyer said:

Apparently someone on that campus DID have a gun...despite the ban.  So not only was it not really a gun free zone...a "good guy with a gun" was on campus..he was just 200 yards away.  Spin it however you like - 

Was that the guy the school told to put his weapon back in his car during the melee?

• Banned
KCFlyer said:
Asked and answered.

http://www.ibtimes.com/oregon-campus-carry-gun-laws-scrutinized-after-umpqua-community-college-shooting-2124793

In 2011, the Oregon Court of Appeals agreed with the foundation's case. It let permit holders carry on public college grounds. The state higher education board then voted a year later to use a legal loophole to ban guns in university buildings, classrooms, residence halls and sports events, according to the Oregonian.

But that policy didn't cover Umpqua Community College, which has its own governing board. Nevertheless, Umpqua had its own rule prohibiting guns. Vocativ reported the regulation read: "Possession, use or threatened use of firearms (including but not limited to BB guns, air guns, water pistols and paint guns), ammunition, explosives, dangerous chemicals or any other objects as weapons on campus property, except as expressly authorized by law or college regulations, is prohibited."

This is where you stop with your nonsense.

townpete said:
Asked and answered.http://www.ibtimes.com/oregon-campus-carry-gun-laws-scrutinized-after-umpqua-community-college-shooting-2124793
In 2011, the Oregon Court of Appeals agreed with the foundation's case. It let permit holders carry on public college grounds. The state higher education board then voted a year later to use a legal loophole to ban guns in university buildings, classrooms, residence halls and sports events, according to the Oregonian.
But that policy didn't cover Umpqua Community College, which has its own governing board. Nevertheless, Umpqua had its own rule prohibiting guns. Vocativ reported the regulation read: "Possession, use or threatened use of firearms (including but not limited to BB guns, air guns, water pistols and paint guns), ammunition, explosives, dangerous chemicals or any other objects as weapons on campus property, except as expressly authorized by law or college regulations, is prohibited."
This is where you stop with your nonsense.
Game, Set, Match!

Ms Tree said:
No.  What I am saying is that I think it is unlikely that an average citizen would be able to target the shooter and take action without harming a bystander as happened in Houston.
I would and I'm sure others, much rather take that chance than let the lunatic have free reign!

Ms Tree said:
If you would read thngs other than the email you get you would know. Do a search for a Houston shooting of a car jack ing victim.
Read other things then email... you mean like Daily Kos, the Snuffington Post, or the New Yawk Slimes? No thanks.

Not interested in your single straw man example. There are many many hundreds more examples of trained and armed people with a firearm stopping criminals from acting that you never read about, I am one of those. Most never fired a shot, like myself.

Leave it to Professor Tree, to only come up the with one example you can use.  Weakness....

southwind said:
I would and I'm sure others, much rather take that chance than let the lunatic have free reign!
No no SW, you must be a unarmed victim in a Gun Free Zone to be safe. We have all seen how the multitude of gun laws in Chiraq work so well nearly every weekend.

• Banned
southwind said:
Game, Set, Match!
Just shows you how intellectually bankrupt the stampy feet twins KC and Tree are.

Tree says he's never heard of a mass shooting being thwarted by a CC. In the span of about thirty seconds google showed me dozens if not hundreds of case's.

KC has literally read nothing about the details on this case, nor has taken the time.

Hackman said:
Read other things then email... you mean like Daily Kos, the Snuffington Post, or the New Yawk Slimes? No thanks.

Not interested in your single straw man example. There are many many hundreds more examples of trained and armed people with a firearm stopping criminals from acting that you never read about, I am one of those. Most never fired a shot, like myself.

Leave it to Professor Tree, to only come up the with one example you can use.  Weakness....

I'm not talking about house invasions and such.  I'm talking about a crowded environment where people are running around and in a panic.  If you have examples similar to this by all means share.  I am sure there are at least a few out there but I cursory search did not find any.  Perhaps you will have better luck.  Given the "hundreds more examples" you should have no problem finding a few.

KCFlyer said:

It's like that in PA.
State law allows concealed carry by permit but it doesn't over rule anything.
How about Columbine KC?
Its their property and they have a right who they let carry on their property.

KCFlyer said:

It doesn't matter if you have a carry conceal permit, no weapons of any kind are allowed on campus. 

http://police.uoregon.edu/weapons-policy

Back