77D/2-cabin 772 enters service today

Correction on the 777-300 three class will remain

AA is operating the 321 or 32H now awaiting ETOPS approval from the FAA. Airbus states that with the winglets the A321 can fly 3200NMs with KLAX to PHNL being 2300NMs. Shouldn't be a problem then based on the numbers. Hawaiian is also buying 321neos to fly thin markets on the mainland. Two class 32H will hold 165 I'm told for AA.

Overspeed said:
I was told similar story on 757s except that the 757s used for Hawaii were the ones going to be converted to the lie flats. 321s are supposed to take over the West Coast to Hawaii flying.

The jetnet site on the 777-200 retrofit says that they will all be converted to two-class. Only the 777-300 will remain two-class.
Doesn't AA have 18 or so 757s that they have business class on? Those plus the fleet US has to Europe is probably the ones that would get lie-flats. 

Overspeed said:

AA is operating the 321 or 32H now awaiting ETOPS approval from the FAA. Airbus states that with the winglets the A321 can fly 3200NMs with KLAX to PHNL being 2300NMs. Shouldn't be a problem then based on the numbers. Hawaiian is also buying 321neos to fly thin markets on the mainland. Two class 32H will hold 165 I'm told for AA.
the 737-900ER has issues doing LAX-HNL, I would be pretty surprised if AA did fly the 321 to hawaii.

now the 738 has been doing fine, but I know United has issues with the 737-900ER. (range is about the same for the 321/739)  

WorldTraveler said:
and if it takes up space that a galley would have taken up, it is more space than would have been necessary if it weren't there.

its hard to say that though. Most of the bars are not in use during peak galley times (meal times) so they can use that space if needed. 

When it isn't meal times its not like they need the space. The only thing a walk up bar might do is added weight for food, but even then you expect that a lot of that would be given out as snacks during the flight. 

AA has issues, (example, I believe they have main deck crew rest on the 77Es. Why aren't they being moved upstairs?) but the walk up bar isn't anything to talk about. 

FrugalFlyerv2.0 said:

You should keep this in mind when you're bloviating about DLs fabulous crew rest facilities ....................
Hate to stick up for him but most of the crew rest don't take up space. 777/744 are upstairs 330/767 are below. 

Now some of the pilots rests do take up space, the 767-300ERs that fly 12+ hour flights have a main deck crew rest for flight crew. 

and of course DALPA has C seats blocked on flights that don't planes that don't have a rest area for them. 

Overspeed said:

It holds 16/165. Still will believe it when I see it. Hawaiian could get these today, yet still is waiting to get the NEO's. Why is that? Because these probably won't make it or make it without restrictions. No one else is trying it, even though they could.

Regarding the crew rest in the overhead space, we've been told many times that it is cost prohibitive to do it. Putting it in the cargo hold like Delta, obviously is a trade off as it takes cargo space. Apparently, AA DBA USair decided that it was better to leave it in the cabin. For whatever reason, they decided not to take out the old business galley off the 767-300 ER during the retrofit. They could have added 3-4 rows of 3 seats by taking out that wasted/unneeded space. Yet didn't see the need.

topDawg said:
Doesn't AA have 18 or so 757s that they have business class on? Those plus the fleet US has to Europe is probably the ones that would get lie-flats.
Yep. Legacy AA has 20 757s with slanted lie-flats - the 20 newest 757s in the fleet. Somebody posted a few years back that they can be adjusted to go completely flat, but that would require removing one row, leaving 12 J seats.

I'll believe A321s to Hawai'i when I see it.

Hate to stick up for him but most of the crew rest don't take up space. 777/744 are upstairs 330/767 are below.

Now some of the pilots rests do take up space, the 767-300ERs that fly 12+ hour flights have a main deck crew rest for flight crew.

and of course DALPA has C seats blocked on flights that don't planes that don't have a rest area for them.
Regarding the crew rest in the overhead space, we've been told many times that it is cost prohibitive to do it. Putting it in the cargo hold like Delta, obviously is a trade off as it takes cargo space. Apparently, AA DBA USair decided that it was better to leave it in the cabin. For whatever reason, they decided not to take out the old business galley off the 767-300 ER during the retrofit. They could have added 3-4 rows of 3 seats by taking out that wasted/unneeded space. Yet didn't see the need.
dawg can perhaps verify, but I don't think DL's original 777s came with the overhead crew rest cabin installed from the factory but were added later in life.

the conversion can be done but it may well be at this point in the age of AA's 777s that it doesn't make sense based on an ROI basis - and the planes would likely be out of service for a longer period of time.

as for DL's pilot crew rest facilities, DL has repeatedly offered to allow pilots to use the FA crew rest facilities but ALPA has refused because it is too far from the cockpit. The 777 and 744 pilot crew rest facility is separate from the FAs and much closer to the cockpit. DL would far prefer to have the pilots NOT use cabin seats but DL cannot justify adding weight, esp. in the forward cargo compartments to add a 2nd crew rest facility on aircraft smaller than the 777.

and DL obviously carefully considered the merits of adding undercabin crew rest facilities on the 767 and decided the aircraft could still carry the cargo loads necessary to make the flights profitable. DL does not carry at least certain types of live animals on the 767s because the crew rest facilities affect the air flow on those aircraft.

again, AA can decide to put its crew rest and walk up bars where it wants but every inch and pound of real estate on an aircraft has to be justified. there was a time when it was DL who had all kinds of closets and hardwall cabin dividers while it was AA that had the maximum amount of seats and the minimum amount of extra fixtures. It was actually NW who probably taught DL a lot about eliminating a lot of excess cabin weight; NW had curtains between cabins and generally smaller galleys and more seats than DL had on comparable sized and comparable mission aircraft. US also had the same philosophy as NW so the chances are fairly high that AA's internal aircraft fixtures will change over time.

all the more relevant considering that Josh wants to hide behind "I can't publicly post who I really am" with respect to how he is related to the airline industry.

I don't care what any person who posts on this board does outside of the airline industry but it is absolutely relevant to know their connection to the airline industry

WorldTraveler said:
all the more relevant considering that Josh wants to hide behind "I can't publicly post who I really am" with respect to how he is related to the airline industry.I don't care what any person who posts on this board does outside of the airline industry but it is absolutely relevant to know their connection to the airline industry
I'm just like BLUTO only I don't post in all caps.

Josh

I'm sure Wikipedia would not hold up in court, but its usually pretty accurate on current fleet of AA and maybe other airlines. It states that the 777w is and will remain 3 class.

Back