CLT to GIG supposed to be announced today

Wow! Did the Caribbean dry up? That's going to put a serious crimp in the Miami cruise ship business!

I may be wrong, and probably am, but it was my understanding that flights to South America were considered overwater/offshore flying because most of the airports on the Caribbean islands were too small to take large widebody a/c landings; so, you couldn't say that the a/c was less than the maximum miles offshore.

I talked about transoceanic flying. I must have missed the memo that the Caribbean was renamed "Ocean," rather than "Sea."

There is a HUGE difference in procedures and rules for transoceanic vs. over-water non-oceanic flying. Sorry you missed that class. I didn't.

Wrong about the Aircraft Configuration Numbers?

I'm showing...according to US Airways
Boeing 757-200
Capacity: 176 - 193 seats
(8 -14 First/164 - 185 Coach)

So a 757 would need a minimum complement of 4 FAs

Boeing 767-200ER
Capacity: 204 seats
(18 Envoy, 186 Coach)

DoH...I didn't take into account for blocked seats used for Crew Rest...My bad...This goes to show that you can't also trust reliable sources since I was told the 767 held 197 due to Crew Rest on TATL.

gotcha....the ruling is for total number of seats onboard the A/C.....where did you find a reliable source within this company?? :huh:

Boeing 767-200ER
Capacity: 204 seats
(18 Envoy, 186 Coach)

DoH...I didn't take into account for blocked seats used for Crew Rest

Which begs the question....

Given the block time for the CLT-GIG-CLT legs - ~9:30 - I assume that crew rest seats will be required. In the application, US lists the 767 as having a 204 passenger capacity. Is that after or before blocking crew rest seats? If before, how many crew rest seats are required?

Jim

The lower US 767-200ER MTOW ratings were ordered from Boeing to save $ (landing fees, etc.), since at the time, the airline had no plans to fly the aircraft the distances currently served or planned. There was some discussion as I recall about 3 years ago (just before ATH started) to have Boeing upgrade the MTOW on several of the aircraft. Likely the cost was high enough to instead decide to increase the 332 order and potentially replace (sell or ?) the 762s - a wise move IMO, especially if fuel prices take off again.

Honestly I don't think US will be selling any of the 76's anytime soon. With all the refurbishments they have done and putting $$$ into the 76's. I think we are going to see those birds flying much longer in the US system now.

The comment period ends around the 17th to 19th of this month I think - don't remember exactly. Sometime after that the DOT will issue the awards.

Jim

The comment period ends around the 17th to 19th of this month I think - don't remember exactly. Sometime after that the DOT will issue the awards.

Jim

It appears the City of Charlotte is really interested in this route being awarded to US Airways. Their response is fairly comprehensive and if anyone is interested in what the airport and terminal expansion plans are, there is a nice little drawing of the additions and terminal expansions in the document.

Link

I have nothing against our CLT hub, but if we were to begin servicing GIG, does anyone feel that it would be more successful, operating this route Non-stop from PHL with the A 330 a/c ?

Mrs Peabody

CLT is better positioned geographically for getting connecting traffic, and without the connecting traffic it's not going to be successful from either PHL or CLT. Most people outside the NE would probably go through someone else's hub (like MIA) before they'd backtrack to PHL to make the connection.

Besides, with the flight starting in PHL and going through CLT, the PHL-GIG will show up above all connecting flights in the GDS's.

Jim

Latest posts

Back