Clt-Gig Poor Loads

People have been slamming CLT for years...But you tell me what other airport US can move a pax thru for .98 pp....Say what you want about CLT and the airport managment, they have done an excellent job at keeping the cost down to the airlines...

People have been slamming CLT for years...But you tell me what other airport US can move a pax thru for .98 pp....Say what you want about CLT and the airport managment, they have done an excellent job at keeping the cost down to the airlines...
This is not about Clt versus Phl, its about the poor performance of the GIG Route. This route would struggle from Philly as well. Maybe Us Airways should focus on Europe and North Atlantic Routes as they do not have a Southern Hub Suiteable for South America i.e Atlanta or Miami

CLT is a four hour drive from ATL, it competes just fine with it.

Ok again....Go to Brazil and ask some of the locals what they think of Charlotte. They'll most likely think your talking about a woman. But I'm just sayin'. :lol:

Ok again....Go to Brazil and ask some of the locals what they think of Charlotte. They'll most likely think your talking about a woman. But I'm just sayin'. :lol:

Go to any city in America ask people what they think of Recife or Manaus, they will give you that confused dog look...

Maybe so but your most likely not a major airline trying to connect hundreds of passengers there. :lol:

It's pretty simple really, if US is going to make S. America work, it will have to be from Charlotte. Neither Phoenix or Philadelphia will get the connections needed to support the routes, and I agree with what has been mentioned, is that the local PHL market is already stretched to thin between IAD and EWR to support flights to GIG, GRU, Buenos, Santiago, Lima, etc that will eventually come. All of these flights will only happen with connecting traffic, and Charlotte is the ideal hub considering what US has to work with.

If CLT fails, that will be the end of South America for US. I have a feeling that they will give it a little longer than normal, considering the huge potential market if they can build a brand presence. It seems that their choice is either Asia or South America, and for right now, they're betting they can gain market share and profit their sooner than in Asia, whether thats due to utilizing its existing fleet or leveraging their strong Central American presence.

Nothing like watching a bunch of people wish for failure of their employer on a route so as to assuage their resentment towards another city. Stay Classy.

I tend to doubt that any Brazilians would much care where they are connecting in the U.S. if the price is right (i.e. cheapest). But if the price is the same as AA, CO & DL, there is a much better chance that the "name recognition factor" would win out -- and US is a laggard in this respect.

From a practical standpoint, if my origination or destination was the Southeast, I would far rather connect in CLT than in MIA, ATL, or IAH.........but how many people really take this into consideration to save a dollar?

If this route fails, I would strongly suggest to US that they try to leverage their new relationship with CO to route pax to South America on codeshares. There is much less risk that way.

I completely agree that US has to start somewhere when it comes to service to South America. CLT is most likely the best positioned hub for that. Code sharing with CO is not on the table at the moment (if I remember correctly). The one thing that US seems to have going for it is that TAM is expected to join Star Alliance soon. If US can obtain a code share agreement with TAM I have no doubt that this route will stick around. CLT would provide an excellent point for travelers from Brazil to connect to many parts of the US.

I completely agree that US has to start somewhere when it comes to service to South America. CLT is most likely the best positioned hub for that. Code sharing with CO is not on the table at the moment (if I remember correctly). The one thing that US seems to have going for it is that TAM is expected to join Star Alliance soon. If US can obtain a code share agreement with TAM I have no doubt that this route will stick around. CLT would provide an excellent point for travelers from Brazil to connect to many parts of the US.
I am not hoping this route fails but if one looks at the loads of well under 50% for the month of March(the high Season to Brazil) it begs the question, how long will US hang in. Plus this route has the added expense of requiring 2 aircraft. I think this route was a place holder for the Sao Paolo route- which appears delayed at best do the DOT decision on the LGA Slot transfer.

I am not hoping this route fails but if one looks at the loads of well under 50% for the month of March(the high Season to Brazil) it begs the question, how long will US hang in. Plus this route has the added expense of requiring 2 aircraft. I think this route was a place holder for the Sao Paolo route- which appears delayed at best do the DOT decision on the LGA Slot transfer.
I'm not sure what the high or low season actually is to Brazil but a few places I've checked have all said the same thing to varying degrees.

"Generally speaking, most airlines consider LOW SEASON travel to Brazil to be the period from March 1st to May 31st and August 16th to November 30th. ALL OTHER times of the year are considered HIGH SEASON."

If this info is correct then I would expect US to have planned for the light load factors. I have no doubt that US wants into GRU as it is the main business center in Brazil but without those rights being available GIG was the next best thing. I really do think that US is pushing for a code share agreement with TAM when they enter the Star Alliance. TAM holds around 45% domestic market share in Brazil and with that feed would greatly up our numbers on GIG. Not to mention give TAM great access to just about every nook and cranny on the East coast.

I watched GIG load last Wednesday night - passengers in the terminal could not have been higher than 50% - however they loaded a ton of cargo.

I watched GIG load last Wednesday night - passengers in the terminal could not have been higher than 50% - however they loaded a ton of cargo.
Took another look at the loads for the next week or so and they are really poor less than 35% L/F and poor for the remainder of the month(except for 2 days) This route is new but it is on life support. I guess all the naysayers over on Airliners.net were right when they said there is no Market for this flight

April 7 CLT-GIG is about 30% booked (60% in Envoy) and April 9 GIG-CLT is 80%+ booked (40% in Envoy)

I'm not sure what defines life-support...every flight certainly isn't profitable, but unless you have some info that says this flight is a net-loss, and US is on the verge of pulling it, then that statement is a bit hyperbolic.

Back