CLT to GIG supposed to be announced today

JetguyCLT

Advanced
Jan 22, 2008
Word is that Tempe will announce new service from CLT to GIG (Rio) Brazil today. Anyone know anything about this?

I would not have high hopes. GIG would require an application which may or may not be approved. They could announce their intention to apply but as with BOG nothing is certain until approval.

I would not have high hopes. GIG would require an application which may or may not be approved. They could announce their intention to apply but as with BOG nothing is certain until approval.
I understand they will originate in PHL, or at least the flight # will, to attain more credibility (PHL-CLT-GIG). Wouldn't surprise me if they are doing CLT-GIG in order to use the 767-200s versus 2 of the new 332s. The 767s would need severe restrictions nonstop from PHL.

I understand they will originate in PHL, or at least the flight # will, to attain more credibility (PHL-CLT-GIG). Wouldn't surprise me if they are doing CLT-GIG in order to use the 767-200s versus 2 of the new 332s. The 767s would need severe restrictions nonstop from PHL.

Well according to Milage Calculator PHL ATH is longer than PHL GIG. And I think that US does PHL ATH with a 767 if I am correct.

PHL-ATH will likely be replaced with the 3rd 332.

I agree, but it probably won't be until 2010; the 3rd A330 won't be in service until, IIRC, Sept, which is about the time ATH service winds down for the season.

I would not have high hopes. GIG would require an application which may or may not be approved.

Not counting US' supposed application, which I assume will be for daily service, there are proposals for 17 wkly frequencies (14 available)

CO 7 wkly IAH-GIG
DL 7 wkly ATL-GIG
AA 3 wkly JFK-GIG

NK has withdrawn their application for FLL-MAO

I'd agree that it's certainly going to be an uphill battle for US to win those frequencies. COs application looks to be a shoe-in IMO, so that would leave 7 wkly frequencies with the remaining proposals totaling 17.

I understand they will originate in PHL, or at least the flight # will, to attain more credibility (PHL-CLT-GIG).

What "Credibility?"

Even the kettles know what "nonstop" versus "direct" is, and the Brazillian regulators surely know.

NOt good at surfing through the DOT site, but the only thing that might be announced would be US applying for the right to fly down there. As I think the DOT extended the deadline to apply to the 27th, so US would have had to put their application in yesterday. Don't think it happened or could of happened. Again, the brain trust is a little slow off the mark compared to the rest of the airlines. heck I think even spirit got awarded some authority. So they have both Brazil and Columbia now...

US will be starting nonstop CLT to GIG. Should be released today. Seriously.

Good news for US...if its true. Curious as to why they didn't choose PHL? Lots..LOTS of Brazilians in NE- especially New York and Boston.

Latest posts

Back