AMFA sold us out.

Nov 7, 2006
...just a letter I wrote to the National prior to the T/A being passed, we'll see if in fact they do the honorable thing.

Dear AMFA,

You should be ashamed of yourselves, the tentative agreement brought forward by Local 33 in the Northwest Airlines strike is without a doubt the largest sham ever in the organized labor movement.

It is apparent AMFA wants the strike to be over, I believe it's totally hypocritical that last week we the striking mechanics were "honorable" for holding out as long as we have, however in a month when this horrible contract is passed AMFA will be back on the property representing the needs of the SCABS who stabbed us in the back, meanwhile us honorable strikers are still left on the outside of the fence looking in.

There is absolutely no way we should even be voting for this tentative agreement, where is Dell telling us that this is the worst contract in the history of unionized labor like he did for the last tentative agreement (to which they're both almost identical)? And to think you're presenting a T/A for the strikers to vote on that guarantees a 1.5% pay raise for the SCABS is totally beyond my belief.

The options striking mechanics have if this T/A passes is also an abomination. A recall list for any "future openings" at Northwest or resignation, wow now that's some union representation! And to top it off, AMFA hasn't even determined what the potential job prospects are. So I guess the only option is to get the flight benefits, 10 weeks severance pay for a 17 year career, and resign.

If this T/A is in fact passed, AMFA has to do the honorable thing and de-certify itself at Northwest Airlines or it will fail as a viable airline mechanics union. I for one will do whatever it takes, write as many letters as I can, to inform present and future union workers about how this union has FAILED the very people it was voted in to represent.

If the T/A does not pass, suggestion, do not bring back anything that doesn't guarantee striking mechanics their jobs back. I know it'll be impossible to rid the property of SCABS, however, to have an effective seniority list to bump the "one year wonders" out would be a start. And nothing less than 26 weeks of severance for all those who won't be able to return.

Again, this tentative agreement that AMFA is proposing is an abomination, it sickens me to think I destroyed my career by putting my faith in a union that would rather end a strike and represent the SCABS than stick it out and represent those "honorable" individuals, or yet to even consider de-certifying itself. I hope this tentative agreement fails, it received a overwhelming NO vote from me. Please, do the honorable thing.

Buddy, you are the union! There was no pressure from the national.

...just a letter I wrote to the National prior to the T/A being passed, we'll see if in fact they do the honorable thing.

Please, do the honorable thing.

Apparently the vast majority of your coworkers wanted to get their 10 weeks and move on. None of you guys have anything to be ashamed of.

Dear AMFA,

You should be ashamed of yourselves, the tentative agreement brought forward by Local 33 in the Northwest Airlines strike is without a doubt the largest sham ever in the organized labor movement.

It is apparent AMFA wants the strike to be over, I believe it's totally hypocritical that last week we the striking mechanics were "honorable" for holding out as long as we have, however in a month when this horrible contract is passed AMFA will be back on the property representing the needs of the SCABS who stabbed us in the back, meanwhile us honorable strikers are still left on the outside of the fence looking in.

There is absolutely no way we should even be voting for this tentative agreement, where is Dell telling us that this is the worst contract in the history of unionized labor like he did for the last tentative agreement (to which they're both almost identical)? And to think you're presenting a T/A for the strikers to vote on that guarantees a 1.5% pay raise for the SCABS is totally beyond my belief.

The options striking mechanics have if this T/A passes is also an abomination. A recall list for any "future openings" at Northwest or resignation, wow now that's some union representation! And to top it off, AMFA hasn't even determined what the potential job prospects are. So I guess the only option is to get the flight benefits, 10 weeks severance pay for a 17 year career, and resign.

If this T/A is in fact passed, AMFA has to do the honorable thing and de-certify itself at Northwest Airlines or it will fail as a viable airline mechanics union. I for one will do whatever it takes, write as many letters as I can, to inform present and future union workers about how this union has FAILED the very people it was voted in to represent.

If the T/A does not pass, suggestion, do not bring back anything that doesn't guarantee striking mechanics their jobs back. I know it'll be impossible to rid the property of SCABS, however, to have an effective seniority list to bump the "one year wonders" out would be a start. And nothing less than 26 weeks of severance for all those who won't be able to return.

Again, this tentative agreement that AMFA is proposing is an abomination, it sickens me to think I destroyed my career by putting my faith in a union that would rather end a strike and represent the SCABS than stick it out and represent those "honorable" individuals, or yet to even consider de-certifying itself. I hope this tentative agreement fails, it received a overwhelming NO vote from me. Please, do the honorable thing.

The last TA passed. I am sorry for your loss, but let's remember that Scamfa did not call for a vote on the first TA the company offered, which would have kept 2700 working and granted 26 weeks of severance. But that is Scamfa -- don't give up on unions, some really are working for their members. Others are working for their founders pride, more is the pity.

Apparently the vast majority of your coworkers wanted to get their 10 weeks and move on. None of you guys have anything to be ashamed of.

Ah, Revisionist Historian Bob strikes (or continues to live vicariously thru NWA's strike) again....

I actually agree with you that there's nothing to be ashamed of for settling, but your comments above are a bit contrary to what you'd posted a few weeks back, Bob:

Bob Owens said:
By voting "Yes" you will be personally validating the NWAs CEOs sentiment back in 2000 when he said that you mechanics need to "know your place" in society.

Bob Owens said:
One of the basic beliefs of true unionists is that they would rather do without than accept the unacceptable.

Yet a year later, you're essentially saying it was OK for the unionists to accept the unnacceptable, take their pieces of silver, and move on with their lives?

After enduring 15 months on strike, it seems to me that most members had already made the decision to go on with their lives, and could have continued to do so without settling the strike.

Personally, I expected AMFA to not surrender, but, as you've pointed out, this is what the membership wanted.

Ms. IBT....
"The last TA passed. I am sorry for your loss, but let's remember that Scamfa did not call for a vote on the first TA the company offered, which would have kept 2700 working and granted 26 weeks of severance. But that is Scamfa -- don't give up on unions, some really are working for their members. Others are working for their founders pride, more is the pity".

If AMFA would have allowed a vote on the first agreement, then you and the rest of industrial unionist cowards would have been here crying the same "AMFA sold out" song. In the fogged industial unionist mindset, nothing AMFA does is right. The membership wanted an agreement, I don't agree with it nor do I like it, but I don't have a vote in this. The strike should have continued.

I'd like to know what industrial union works for its members? The ibt? The iam? the twu? Surely you jest. Its more like the other way around. Industrial unions were the first to "sell out" at every turn at every airline. AMFA fought like no union has in recent history, and its as simple as that.

Ah, Revisionist Historian Bob strikes (or continues to live vicariously thru NWA's strike) again....

I actually agree with you that there's nothing to be ashamed of for settling, but your comments above are a bit contrary to what you'd posted a few weeks back, Bob:
Yet a year later, you're essentially saying it was OK for the unionists to accept the unnacceptable, take their pieces of silver, and move on with their lives?

If I were in their place I would have voted NO for settling and I still feel that they were right not to accept the unacceptable, which they didnt, they fought instead. They fought a good fight, so, despite the fact that I would have voted No to settling for the reasons stated and the fact that nobody else was willing to join them in the fight I feel that they certainly have nothing to be ashamed of regardless of how they voted. Understand you dumbass?

Daughter of the IBT
Others are working for their founders pride, more is the pity.

Dont you mean "son" of their founder?

They fought a good fight, so, despite the fact that I would have voted No to settling for the reasons stated and the fact that nobody else was willing to join them in the fight I feel that they certainly have nothing to be ashamed of regardless of how they voted.

Yes, they fought a good fight. I completely agree, believe it or not.

However, you've continuously slammed those who voted yes for concessions elsewhere, so color me skeptical of your sudden conciliatory attitude, Bob.

Those who voted "no" can certainly hold their heads high knowing they held to their convictions, but it's just more than a bit ironic that you aren't holding the "yes" voters as accountable as you have with others faced with a similar no-win situation.

Unfortunately, I'm afraid that this has simply served as an example for how to defeat labor (i.e. be prepared to outspend and wear labor down). In fact, the entire NWA bankruptcy has been turning out to be a case study for labor relations that both sides should be learning a lot from.

Dear AMFA,

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA WE WON,YOU LOSER, :lol:

Dear AMFA,

You expected them not to?? :shock:

Yes, they fought a good fight. I completely agree, believe it or not.

However, you've continuously slammed those who voted yes for concessions elsewhere, so color me skeptical of your sudden conciliatory attitude, Bob.

Those who voted "no" can certainly hold their heads high knowing they held to their convictions, but it's just more than a bit ironic that you aren't holding the "yes" voters as accountable as you have with others faced with a similar no-win situation.

Unfortunately, I'm afraid that this has simply served as an example for how to defeat labor (i.e. be prepared to outspend and wear labor down). In fact, the entire NWA bankruptcy has been turning out to be a case study for labor relations that both sides should be learning a lot from.

Do you think you've uncovered something new? NWA was able to win, at great cost, because labor did not stick together, however the cost was great enough that had any other group also gone out NWA would not have won, they even testified to that in court. So yea, how do you beat labor, be prepared to spend more than it would cost to settle fairly, and count on labor being divided.

My contention is that NWA may have won due to the fact they were a comparatively small carrier and the previous downturn had resulted in a lot of laid off AMTs, even at that it took them over a year to scrounge up enough guys, but if we all had voted "No" and been willing to strike and ignore court injunctions that contradict 70 years of labor law the industry would have continued to operate, it would not have disappeared and we wouldnt have lost any more jobs than we already have.

I said this the other day in another post...If the AMFA would have sent this offer back to the company without a vote, the whining would have been intolerable. As it is they presented it to us and we voted. Now you're crying about the fact they sold us out??? Make up your mind. Bob Owens is right, we can ALL hold our heads high. I know some guys that had 1,000+ hours of vacation sitting in limbo. Those are the ones who voted yes. Can't say I blame them. Me? I could have done another year of strike standing on my head. As it turns out, it doesn't matter anymore. Unless you took the five weeks, its over. I've moved on to another job and it took a year but I'm back where I was pay wise. Now its a time to recover and NOT LOOK BACK. nwa can go down the toilet for all I care.

Back