AMFA Informational Meeting in PHX

Status
Not open for further replies.
WeAAsles said:
The biggest issue I see on getting cards signed on the USAIRWAYS side is that they just went through an unsuccessful attempt to displace the IAM with the IBT. After that loss and the recently ratified TA and the opportunity to bargain for even more, this attempt to change unions seems like a very uphill battle IMO.

http://atwonline.com/labor/us-airways-mechanics-vote-keep-iam-over-teamsters
The guys I know over there weren't interested in the IBT, but they also aren't supporters of the alliance. I think the anti-alliance, and ex-IBT supporters together would be enough to gather cards. We'll see what pans out- I hope the best for all involved.

blue collar said:
The guys I know over there weren't interested in the IBT, but they also aren't supporters of the alliance. I think the anti-alliance, and ex-IBT supporters together would be enough to gather cards. We'll see what pans out- I hope the best for all involved.
I support the alliance because it's outside the box thinking. The alternative was to duke it out with each other and that's not really anything that has been getting us anywhere.

It's gotten to the point where sometimes it appears that's all unions ever do anymore. Fighting for the carcases of the dying.

Maybe some people need to open their minds up a little?

blue collar said:
Like I've asked you before, when was the last time you talked to a mechanic in SAN about AMFA, or are you just going off of the notion that they're all happy?
I know many mechanics in my 40 yr career still today. Had dinner with one tonight. I'm not going off any notion at all. Conversation dictates the mood and i actually said what i said because of that conversation i had. I can only rely on what one in the trenches tells me. I never said they were happy. Those are your words not mine. What i said was AMFA has a long road ahead to change the minds of the US side and i don't believe and neither does he, that you will get enough cards. 

Good luck with PHX, majority voted "Yes" for the IAM negotiated contract.....really think most have given up, regulated to being second class citizens in the Aviation Maintenance World. 1.5 billion in profits and the majority vote "for" in my opinion a sub standard contract!!!  FYI, BA voted down their IAM recommended contract and the have been called back to the table by the Mediation Board sometime in late August.....we were told at our info meeting that if voted down we may not hear from the mediator till the beginning of next year....Pretty sad state of affairs...

700UW said:
Yes every IAM member had the opportunity to vote for the IP and the Executive Council, don't let the facts get in your way.
"To get on the ballot, candidates need to be endorsed by 25 locals. But that is a far higher hurdle than it might seem. No candidate has done it since 1961, and last year, the U.S. Department of Labor found that the International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers (IAM) headquarters stifled information about the nominating process to suppress any real competition."

"The challengers are pushing against a firmly entrenched leadership. The last time the union held a contested national leadership election was in 1961.

Buffenbargers 29-year-old son Andrew, who is employed as his special assistant with oversight of the unions bylaws, got $157,000.

Because many rank-and-file members dont attend union meetings, a small core of activists largely determines the direction each lodge takes."

http://seattletimes.com/html/businesstechnology/2022879748_machinistselectionxml.html

Don't let those facts get in the way of an AMFA drive.

Let the US and AA mechanics decide their own direction.

AMFAinMIAMI said:
700UW

Iam not an USAir mechanic you are correct, I am not telling them what to do I have asked them to think about signing cards since the NMB is going to consider us a one transportation group. With the lates ruling of the F/A and gate agents filings.

We have gotten cards not sure what the numbers are as of late but a few months ago I was told we had 500+ cards.

The mechanics on the floor did not cast any ballots for him did they? At AMFA that can be done. He "R. T Buffenberger" can't be removed from office with a petitian from the members on the floor can he?

You are NOT an Airline employee any more, nor are you an IAM memeber are YOU?

AMFA at AA 2014
500 Cards?   I am assuming you are talking about US cards only.   Ay one time the ANFA drive at AA was over 5000 cards, was it not?

Just a little reminder what has happened with AMFA at SWA.   Airline Rep screwed up big time and was remove and replaced "by the membership", not National.  At the National level all officers were replaced except for National Director Louie Key, again, "by the membership".  With AMFA you will have much, much more control of who is running things for the membership, and ANY officer rather at local level or National level CAN BE removed from his or her position, by the membership, can you do this at any other of the industrial union?  NO you cannot.  Go read the AMFA constitution, it is all in there how the membership can in fact remove the officers, in black and white, no grey area what-so-ever...

swamt said:
500 Cards?   I am assuming you are talking about US cards only.   Ay one time the ANFA drive at AA was over 5000 cards, was it not?

Just a little reminder what has happened with AMFA at SWA.   Airline Rep screwed up big time and was remove and replaced "by the membership", not National.  At the National level all officers were replaced except for National Director Louie Key, again, "by the membership".  With AMFA you will have much, much more control of who is running things for the membership, and ANY officer rather at local level or National level CAN BE removed from his or her position, by the membership, can you do this at any other of the industrial union?  NO you cannot.  Go read the AMFA constitution, it is all in there how the membership can in fact remove the officers, in black and white, no grey area what-so-ever...
Yes 500 at USAir. Heard the same number.
I hope that the USAir guys are not the new Tulsa we had to deal with 20 years ago.
Tulsa has turned around rather noticeably over the years. Hopefully the USAir guys can be on the same page with the rest of us at AA and other carriers.

I personally have seen AMFA "cards" (8x11" paper downloaded from the AMFA site, not the cards like before) sitting on tools boxes and in the breakrooms elsewhere.

I know of at least 12, including myself, that have signed.  If they sent them in or not, I don't know.  But what I do know, is that is has begun.

Glenn that election can only be described as pathetic and the below the belt ads? lol made a political election look like a church social. I wouldn't trust those guys to get me a soda. 

1AA said:
Yes 500 at USAir. Heard the same number.
I hope that the USAir guys are not the new Tulsa we had to deal with 20 years ago.
Tulsa has turned around rather noticeably over the years. Hopefully the USAir guys can be on the same page with the rest of us at AA and other carriers.
I hope US is not either.  I think the hardest part to get them over will be all the lies and scare tactics they have been using on the members.  I strongly encourage all members to do their own homework about their pensions, they will not lose them because a new union takes over representation.  
Yes Tulsa has finally seen the writing on the wall that the TWU agreed to way back when and takes affect recently and in the future.
Well, they (USAir guys) need to get on the same page.  If this BS alliance gets in at the new AA, you guys will be bouncing back and forth from the IAM running it to the TWU running it, now just how do you guys think that will go?  I can tell you, while the IAM runs it first everything will be done to favor the US guys first, then the TWU will run it and try to undo all was leaning more towards the US guys and then this crap will just repeat itself year after year and the membership will be stuck in the middle of all this being played like Yo-Yo's  on a roller coaster,  up and down, back and forth until it's too late and both sides are divided so freakin bad that the co is sitting back and laughing all the way to the bank.  The co will play you guys against one another, the unions will be too busy in-fighting that they will never notice, as they will be more focussed on the alliance and not the members issues, then everything will just implode after about 5 years or so.  The implosion will happen after both sides have run it and they try to change everything back.  Then after it is all said and done you guys will be represented by 2 of the lowest unions out there and you guys will have to be stuck with them for many years to come.  NOW is the time gentlemen to get this done.   I wish you all the best.  Hoping the US guys will see the benefits of getting rid of this alliance...

There are no lies and scare tactics.

If they vote out the IAM their pension gets frozen and there will be no further contributions to the plan and there isnt another avenue of what happens. Unlike fleet where it states it goes into a 401k match, but maintenance doesnt have that language.

And nothing changes except who is the Chairperson of the Alliance with two year terms.

And it has seem to work fine for over six years at US with the CWA and IBT Association.

Dont let the facts get in your way.

Explain how it is fear when it is reality?

If anyone wants to read the letter, you can pm me an e-mail address.

Its too large of a file to post on here.

Let the AMT's get the info they want at the meeting. They will be better educated and can make a decision on their own. Hopefully many will attend and see what amfa is about and how their structure is transparent and accountable to the members.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back