America's Shame....Outstanding!

totally out of line

what is unfolding today goes back a little more than just the last 8 years..

but a leader does not or should not lump all citizens and generalize.. 'we are all arrogant to those outside our borders', that is just plain ignorant.
So now you are the morality police. So you say it goes back more than 8 years. I guess then you agree with the sentiment, just not my time frame? He is not labeling any citizens, he is stating the way our country leaders have acted and how we are being perceived in the eyes of the world.

So now you are the morality police.
not really, I just try to see things for what they really are...you know..realistic.

So you say it goes back more than 8 years. I guess then you agree with the sentiment, just not my time frame?
it is not solely one 'persons' fault, it is a series of events over a period of time..and there are many contributing factors..from several administrations..

He is not labeling any citizens
oh yes he did!

he is stating the way our country leaders have acted and how we are being perceived in the eyes of the world.
to be quite honest, lately I dont think he knows what he is doing..(he is the one to fix the world or just believes he can?)

not really, I just try to see things for what they really are...you know..realistic.
There is a fine line on that. If you look behind you, you'll see it.

it is not solely one 'persons' fault, it is a series of events over a period of time..and there are many contributing factors..from several administrations..
care to elaborate?

oh yes he did!
Oh No he didn't!

to be quite honest, lately I dont think he knows what he is doing..(he is the one to fix the world or just believes he can?)
No not the world just the mess he inherited from the last administration.

There is a fine line on that. If you look behind you, you'll see it.
but have you?

care to elaborate?
to even ask that means you havent paid attention!

Oh No he didn't!
yes he did..

No not the world just the mess he inherited from the last administration.
in 4 years..that will be the same line used to try and get re-elected..(when nothing is 'fixed' as promised) I wonder how many will buy it the second time?

While Obama is in Europe he should demand that our quivering 'allies' pony up some troops and cash for Afghanistan.

Or even better, the euros can replace our troops in Bosnia, Germany or South Korea to free up some of our national resources.

I'm not sure Barack will confront the euros.

Why not send Michelle instead? Betcha she'd do it!

If it were not for this great country that you call home, the rest of the world would be a better place, right?? Damn America has screwed the entire planet.
You are obviously not a history major.

We have not had time do that.

I have faith that we will not "screw the entire planet", even though we were on the path over the last several years...

We are still in our infancy.

I have been traveling abroad since I was a child. Americans do have a reputation of being arrogant, self centered and greedy. When I traveled, they knew I was American and they treated me just fine, so long as I respected their ways when in their country. On a one on one basis, they like us just fine. As a country and as a government, not so much. Yes, they take our aid but that does not give us the right to dictate to others. Others seem to have the impression that we walk around like we own the place and no one likes that.

Not sure why people are so up in arms about this. A professor once told me that "perception is reality". If you perceives someone as mean, then for you that person is mean. Whether they really are mean to everyone or not is immaterial, to you they are mean and that is your reality.

The perception abroad is that we are arrogant. I do not think we mean to be but I can definitely see how we can be perceived that way. The history of the US is quite a bit different than that of Europe and the rest of the world. We can choose to be insulted and indignant about or we can step up to the plate, examine why there is this perception and deal with it head on.

Something to keep in mind. Take a look at history and name one single company, nation or kingdom that has maintained it's glory or status. British empire ... gone. Roman empire ... gone. Turks .. gone. Pan-Am...gone. Eastern .. gone. Ford, GM and Chrysler .. fading fast. I suggest that we do not piss off the international community. We may need them when our 15 minutes of fame are up. Which brings up another saying I heard. Be careful of the fingers on the ladder as you climb up, they are attached to the asses you will be kissing on the way down.

I have been traveling abroad since I was a child. Americans do have a reputation of being arrogant, self centered and greedy. When I traveled, they knew I was American and they treated me just fine, so long as I respected their ways when in their country. On a one on one basis, they like us just fine. As a country and as a government, not so much. Yes, they take our aid but that does not give us the right to dictate to others. Others seem to have the impression that we walk around like we own the place and no one likes that.

Not sure why people are so up in arms about this. A professor once told me that "perception is reality". If you perceives someone as mean, then for you that person is mean. Whether they really are mean to everyone or not is immaterial, to you they are mean and that is your reality.

The perception abroad is that we are arrogant. I do not think we mean to be but I can definitely see how we can be perceived that way. The history of the US is quite a bit different than that of Europe and the rest of the world. We can choose to be insulted and indignant about or we can step up to the plate, examine why there is this perception and deal with it head on.

Something to keep in mind. Take a look at history and name one single company, nation or kingdom that has maintained it's glory or status. British empire ... gone. Roman empire ... gone. Turks .. gone. Pan-Am...gone. Eastern .. gone. Ford, GM and Chrysler .. fading fast. I suggest that we do not piss off the international community. We may need them when our 15 minutes of fame are up. Which brings up another saying I heard. Be careful of the fingers on the ladder as you climb up, they are attached to the asses you will be kissing on the way down.
You are an imaterial robot.........pathetic. The US is arrogant....we need to change....we need to have the world "perceive" us in this way.....history tells us......a Professor "told" me........We, the US, need to step up to the plate......

why don't you just go fishing or something??

I am taking my ball home now. You cannot play any more because you make me mad. :lol:
Grow up garden boy.......You are better at informed responses instead of trying to inflame the boards :down:

You are an imaterial robot.........pathetic. The US is arrogant....we need to change....we need to have the world "perceive" us in this way.....history tells us......a Professor "told" me........We, the US, need to step up to the plate......

why don't you just go fishing or something??

After reading that how could anyone think that America is not arrogant and self centered.

That was quoted from what YOU wrote Gar...OUTFIELD.....Not mine....Try again :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Not quite and anyone who reads my post and yours will easily see the difference and the ideas behind it.

You said:
we need to change

I said:
nope, never said the word change in my quote (hint: search function works very well)

You said:
we need to have the world "perceive" us in this way

I said:
The perception abroad is that we are arrogant. I do not think we mean to be but I can definitely see how we can be perceived that way

You said:
We, the US, need to step up to the plate

I said:
We can choose to be insulted and indignant about or we can step up to the plate, examine why there is this perception and deal with it head on.

What you said and what I said are quite different both literally and figuratively. I suspect you are oblivious to this differences and I now understand your posts quite a bit better. Thank you for your clarification.

The perception abroad is that we are arrogant. I do not think we mean to be but I can definitely see how we can be perceived that way
what can America do for the rest of the world to change that? not much it seems..

no matter what we do, the rest of the world just doesnt like us.,

we can send millions/billions of dollars in aid to foreign countries , help feed the hungry and starving..ship our jobs overseas,
import all those products from China... step up and help in times of natural disaster around the globe with financial aid..send
medical teams to perform surgery 'free of charge' (such as Operation Smile) and so much more.. still we are perceived arrogant..

arrogant and self-centered? its just not true..

You can also add to that list the trillions of dollars we spent in world wars 1 and 2 and the cold war to keep Europe free. Also, don't forget about the U.S. rebuilding Europe with the Marshall plan. The reason they have all those generous social programs is because they didn't have to pay for their own self defense, the U.S. defended them at the expense of the U.S. taxpayer. If we had let Hitler or the Soviets have them, we as a country would be trillions of dollars richer. I find it amusing that the Europeans consider us arrogant since they were the ones who wrote the book on it. Lets take a brief look at European history: Hitler, Stalin, Napoleon, Cesar,the French empire, the British empire, the Spanish empire, the Roman empire etc. You are correct about our charity to the world in the form of money, time, and skills; we are by far the most charitable country on Earth. But there are many who dislike us for a variety of reasons; our success for a relatively young country and our unwillingness to apologize for it, our concept of the freedom of the individual, our concept of allowing individuals to enjoy the fruits of their labor to the greatest extent possible, our freedom of speech, etc. I think it is time to stop international charity and defending other countries....yes, if they insist that we are bastard$ then let us indeed be bastard$, let us withhold ALL our generosity and see how well they fare. Let us be isolationists and say "to hell with the rest of the world". When the next dictator overruns Europe or another continent, let us just give them "the finger". The U.S should withdraw from NATO and every other alliance, this would save hundreds of billions of dollars. If we were to cease all foreign aid and private charity we could save hundreds of billions more; we could pay off the debt Bush and Obama have run up quite quickly. We only need to defend our own borders. Let everyone know that if the U.S. is attacked nuclear weapons will be used in retaliation, we used them before and we can use them again.

Back