Aircraft maint issues

I remember during one of our AMFA card drives, this old twu guy says “we can’t have AMFA they are an association and not a union” it all makes sense now.

I remember during one of our AMFA card drives, this old twu guy says “we can’t have AMFA they are an association and not a union” it all makes sense now.
They are a union, but alot of your dues money will go the law firm, but it's your choice.

That's because AMFA uses it's dues for standing up for the members and fighting for the members. If you are soooo concerned about how much is going to the law firm then go look at the Pilots spreadsheets and see how much percentage wise they spend. It's way more than us and they are very well covered by their attorneys just like we are.

I’m thinking the move
That's because AMFA uses it's dues for standing up for the members and fighting for the members. If you are soooo concerned about how much is going to the law firm then go look at the Pilots spreadsheets and see how much percentage wise they spend. It's way more than us and they are very well covered by their attorneys just like we are.

Unfortately we spend a lot of money on guys who you wouldn’t keep working at your business. Rarely does a good guy require the union to spend tens of thousands of dollars on him.

I would rather spend that money on professional negotiators/lawyers to get the best contract possible.

All the schooling I have had is been geared towards aircraft maint. Just like our negotiation committee members. I know I can fix any aircraft just as I know I cannot negotiate a contract. Not to be insulting just pointing out that I think we should have professional negotiators. 4 or 5 professional negotiators, not twenty some union members some not even mechs that have gone to a twu sponsered negotiation seminar to negotiate a contract with the largest airline in the world. Doug and his team ran a regional LCC and successfully merged other airlines together making the New AA, at the same time pushing out the executives of the other airlines. We are not dealing with stupid people.

Not only is our negotiation team not professional negotiators, but they are too close to the negotiations. Meaning that if they get some BS proposal from AA they take that as a personal insult. Then it just turns bitter, kind of like what we are experiencing now.

The fact remains most of our dues money goes to the law firm, our own local 4, is short in $34,000 in it's budget. Plus we are at year 6, and at this writing still don't have a T/A yet. We have an agreement in principle. If this was still the Teamsters , you Swampy would be screaming for their heads, and card drive at SWA. Yet you sing AMFA praises on the American page.

Outside Looking In: $34,000 does not sound like a lot of money for a Union Local?

Looking at AMFA 4 and TWU 591 this was an interesting thing to note.

DCDCA323-38A1-4E46-910A-807096D125CA.png 0B1F44C9-7F08-4BAF-B617-6D5FC07A1DBF.png

Don’t forget that AMFA only represents roughly a total of around 3000 to 4000 people. There are 5 Locals to represent those people and places. $34,000 very well could be a decent amount of money?

http://www.amfanational.org/index.cfm?zone=/unionactive/view_page.cfm&page=Locals

This is exactly why many do not understand why the pay for Fleet Service is higher than their Peers in the Industry.

That being said while, Maintenance now earns a comparable wage to their Peers at other airlines.
For 30+ years the AMT's specific compensation has always been on the low end of the spectrum.

If AMFA at SWA were represting the Fleet Service those numbers would change and we also have more aircraft.

LAA Fleet has 3,000 more people than the AMT's , therefore having more control over the AMT's.

Last edited:
This is exactly why many do not understand why the pay for Fleet Service is higher than their Peers in the Industry.

That being said while, Mainenance now earns a comparable wage to their Peers at other airlines.
For 30+ years the AMT's specific compensation has always been on the low end of the spectrum.

If AMFA at SWA were represting the Fleet Service those numbers would change and we also have more aircraft.

LAA Fleet has 3,000 more people than the AMT's , therefore having more control over the AMT's.

Ok 30 years ago tell me where your wages were supposed to fit on that spectrum and who were you comparing yourself to? 1988. Hell go back to that famous 1983 date instead. That would be 35 years ago.

So let me get this right because I’m not sure? Are you saying that if AMFA Represented Fleet at SWA they would purposefully go out of their way to screw them? Again if that’s what you’re saying it’s always the reason why no other Title Groups that are linked to you trust you AMFA salesman.

And again BUCK all I see right now is the TWU non stop talking about you guys and not a peep about Fleet to the public. You want to find me something where I’m wrong?

This schtick that you’re being controlled and held back has grown incredibly tireing after all these years.

Oh and BTW Buck TWU represents Fleet at SWA and they have around 10,000 Rampers while AMFA Represents about 2,500 Mechanics. So maybe TWU is just a dazzlingly better Union then?

That being said while, Mainenance now earns a comparable wage to their Peers at other airlines.

Any reason why you’re ignoring this Buck?

EBCDB38D-4DAC-4086-A432-9B2CDE92DDBD.png 55CEE560-F79F-4DBB-AF24-D1CE179D00D6.png

Don’t forget that AMFA only represents roughly a total of around 3000 to 4000 people. There are 5 Locals to represent those people and places. $34,000 very well could be a decent amount of money?

http://www.amfanational.org/index.cfm?zone=/unionactive/view_page.cfm&page=Locals

Weez unlike you AMTs can’t have their work performed by anyone with a valid DL and ability to pass a background check. There is a shortage of A&Ps, but baggage handlers/ramp agents/fleet service clerks/fleet service agents not so much.

Josh

Back