Aircraft maint issues

It’s not FAA, AA or the union stopping the ramp from using supertugs, it’s the city aviation rules having AMTs do the moves. City feels AMTs are less likely to have a runway incursion.

Here at SFO, the LUS fleet service folks Goldhofer aircraft daily, to and from the hangar. We usually go around the active runways 10/28. But when there is construction or it's raining and take offs are going the opposite direction of usual departures, we cross the runways. The LUS fleet folks cross the actives too.

Last edited:
Oh great, another convenient newb telling us how negotiations work. Bottom line, Maintenance has lost work to Fleet Service, and other vendors over my 32 years - never the other way around. We don't blame the clerks, or the vendors. We are usually told that we voted for it, or we didn't want to do that type of work. None of which is usually true. BTW, outsourcing Line Maintenance at AA, already takes place. Outsourcing of heavy maintenance at AA already takes place. Not sure what you're suggesting in your post. Take a look at Allegiant Airlines as an example of an airline that goes barebones on their entire maintenance program. # in trouble with FAA - oh and AA's shift to US Air's bare bones maintenance program is gonna bite them in the assets as well. There are a lot more requirements that an FAA Part 121 Air Carrier has to comply with - regarding their Aircraft Maintenance programs,, than you might be aware of.

If you think that Aircraft Maintenance hasn't been affected in negotiations in the past - by negotiating with all the other title groups - you're not being honest. The TWU has always had it's favorites, and it has never been Aircraft Maintenance. One big reason AMTs didn't make the jump to AMFA in the past, was the Tulsa voting block. The TWU always kept the overhaul guys happy with their holidays off, their weekends off, their base closure at Christmas etc.. Well, now Tulsa doesn't have the headcount to out vote the Line AMTs. The TWU has failed Tulsa now on the other items as well. So, once we get our stool pushed in with whatever weak TA we AMTs end up seeing, the authorization cards will be circulating.
Just curious. ..since 1986...what jobs have fleet taken over from maintenance. ..remember since 1986.....this NEWB...needs to be schooled...

Driver does SWA pay a taxi premium? I`m also a run up/taxi designee on all our fleets.
Where I am at , if it is late they will pay a quick hour to do the moves sometimes, but no taxi premium. When I was at Midway Airlines , I was also high speed and power back qualified on the DC9s. Has American ever powerbacked aircraft?

Last edited:
Where I am at , if it is late they will pay a quick hour to do the moves sometimes, but no taxi premium. When I was at Midway Airlines , I was also high speed and power back qualified on the DC9s. Has American ever powerbacked aircraft?

Don't know about AA but I did at NW I didn't do high speed taxi but did do plenty of powerbacks on the DC-9 and the 727. The 727 was the largest A/C we did powerbacks with at NW but I did see Eastern powerback a 757 at EWR when I worked there.

Oh great, another convenient newb telling us how negotiations work. Bottom line, Maintenance has lost work to Fleet Service, and other vendors over my 32 years - never the other way around. We don't blame the clerks, or the vendors. We are usually told that we voted for it, or we didn't want to do that type of work. None of which is usually true. BTW, outsourcing Line Maintenance at AA, already takes place. Outsourcing of heavy maintenance at AA already takes place. Not sure what you're suggesting in your post. Take a look at Allegiant Airlines as an example of an airline that goes barebones on their entire maintenance program. # in trouble with FAA - oh and AA's shift to US Air's bare bones maintenance program is gonna bite them in the assets as well. There are a lot more requirements that an FAA Part 121 Air Carrier has to comply with - regarding their Aircraft Maintenance programs,, than you might be aware of.

If you think that Aircraft Maintenance hasn't been affected in negotiations in the past - by negotiating with all the other title groups - you're not being honest. The TWU has always had it's favorites, and it has never been Aircraft Maintenance. One big reason AMTs didn't make the jump to AMFA in the past, was the Tulsa voting block. The TWU always kept the overhaul guys happy with their holidays off, their weekends off, their base closure at Christmas etc.. Well, now Tulsa doesn't have the headcount to out vote the Line AMTs. The TWU has failed Tulsa now on the other items as well. So, once we get our stool pushed in with whatever weak TA we AMTs end up seeing, the authorization cards will be circulating.

We had the same problem at NW with our mechanics in MSP they always threw the vote until the IAM brought back such a piss poor contract in excellent times pre 9/11 even the MSP IAM die hards could not defend them anymore and AMFA was a shoe in but of course the IAM filed a protest so it took another year before AMFA could represent the mechanics at NWA. I have seen too much bullshit to ever want to be in another aircraft mechanic union. The RLA and the NMB and the government and the airline management that takes advantage of it can kiss my ass.

Don't know about AA but I did at NW I didn't do high speed taxi but did do plenty of powerbacks on the DC-9 and the 727. The 727 was the largest A/C we did powerbacks with at NW but I did see Eastern powerback a 757 at EWR when I worked there.
The thing about power back don't touch the brakes, feet flat on the floor, use fwd engine thrust to stop the aircraft.:)

We had the same problem at NW with our mechanics in MSP they always threw the vote until the IAM brought back such a piss poor contract in excellent times pre 9/11 even the MSP IAM die hards could not defend them anymore and AMFA was a shoe in but of course the IAM filed a protest so it took another year before AMFA could represent the mechanics at NWA. I have seen too much bullshit to ever want to be in another aircraft mechanic union. The RLA and the NMB and the government and the airline management that takes advantage of it can kiss my ass.
It took us 6 years, to finally get something to vote on, without losing scope
It took us 6 years to finally get something to vote on without losing scope. Let's see if the guys think the money is enough. I think it is fair that snap up raise, and 30% signing bonus of last year wages, plus the retro to April 1 , is a mighty big carrot for people who haven't had a raise in 6 years.

I agree...A&P license people are much better drivers...I always try to shadow them out of the employee lot..for my own safety. ..with your thinking the city should require pilots to do the towing....

This is a perfect example of why Aircraft Maintenance should get into their own union.

Cockpit windshield cleaning & Deicing come to mind.
BTW, flight deck window cleaning has a M/M reference. You should look it up and you will be surprised what it says. Who signs it off? How many times did you sign it off "cleaned by cabin service"? There is a reference and it is not exempt from the IAW policy.

Here at SFO, the LUS fleet service folks Goldhofer aircraft daily, to and from the hangar. We usually go around the active runways 10/28. But when there is construction or it's raining and take offs are going the opposite direction of usual departures, we cross the runways. The LUS fleet folks cross the actives too.

Different airports, different rules.

It took us 6 years, to finally get something to vote on, without losing scope

It took us 6 years to finally get something to vote on without losing scope. Let's see if the guys think the money is enough. I think it is fair that snap up raise, and 30% signing bonus of last year wages, plus the retro to April 1 , is a mighty big carrot for people who haven't had a raise in 6 years.

It’s great that you guys get to vote on stuff

Back