AA and US Merge?

You may question whether US is a major, and that's fine, but right now US is not the endangered airline, AA is. Most of us at US have been through (still going through) the turmoil of a merger. Not pleasant. Not anxious to repeat. Glad to let AA fix its own mess. Or not.

Nobody's questioning if US is a major. Skywest, Jetblue and Hawaiian are considered majors, too.

What's being questioned is the likelihood of a merger. There's nothing complementary about the two networks like you had with HP+US, DL+NW, or CO+UA. There's probably more overlap between AA+US than the other three combined.

AA's certainly losing more money right now than anyone else, but endangered is just a little too dramatic of a description. The stock is endangered, but I don't consider the company as such. Maybe in a year or three if they don't get their crap together.

You mean there's sufficient capacity for connecting traffic at ORD, DFW and MIA to make up for the lack of a "southeast hub" that isn't even in the top 25 for domestic O&D? How can that be? And what about not having a huge hub in the center of Arizona? Doesn't that put AA at a massive disadvantage? And what's with AA's small presence at PHL but its relatively large presence at two of the three airports in NYC? :D

Without a barbell-shaped hub strategy, can AA ever hope to compete?

I happen to like connecting in PHX.... At least I can predict when the weather might be a factor (i.e. never) as compared to rolling the dice at DFW or ORD.

My friends at US are just praying for a merger with AA...... I just dont think it will happen. Two different airlines and never will be one.

I don't doubt what you say in your specific case is true. But I work for US and I don't know of one single person who wants AAny part of a merger or AAnything else to do with AA. I can't speak for Doug and the other upper management types, but the regular US employees? Nah...we have our own mess to fix, and you have an even bigger mess. I think the overwhelming majority of us poor little ol' US Airways folks are happy to see both companies fix their messes.....separately.

I don't doubt what you say in your specific case is true. But I work for US and I don't know of one single person who wants AAny part of a merger or AAnything else to do with AA. I can't speak for Doug and the other upper management types, but the regular US employees? Nah...we have our own mess to fix, and you have an even bigger mess. I think the overwhelming majority of us poor little ol' US Airways folks are happy to see both companies fix their messes.....separately.
I have a few friends at US and it seems that the talk of conversation always reverts to a merger with AA and how this will be the final piece of the puzzel that US needs. And maybe a merge will be good for both airlines, only time will tell.

You mean there's sufficient capacity for connecting traffic at ORD, DFW and MIA to make up for the lack of a "southeast hub" that isn't even in the top 25 for domestic O&D? How can that be? And what about not having a huge hub in the center of Arizona? Doesn't that put AA at a massive disadvantage? And what's with AA's small presence at PHL but its relatively large presence at two of the three airports in NYC? :D

Without a barbell-shaped hub strategy, can AA ever hope to compete?
Boo boo, we've been through this. PHX has a higher OD than PHL.

Get over yourself. PHX isn't going anywhere so calm down.

Interesting contention. I've never heard that before so I am not disputing it. Perhaps you can show some data that would back up that assertion. Does PHX also generate higher O&D revenues than PHL? Correct me if I'm wrong, but PHL's O&D revenue catchment area extends from NYC to Washington DC. Perhaps even further. Are you saying that PHX simply boards more O&D pax than PHL, and that in doing so, they generate more O&D revenue than PHL, or are you speaking to the sheer quantity of PHX O&D without regard to its revenue generating capability vis-a-vis PHL?

Uh, this is the AA forum. Take the PHX envy discussion back to the USAir forum where it belongs, please.......

Uh, this is the AA forum. Take the PHX envy discussion back to the USAir forum where it belongs, please.......

If you work for AA, this "PHX envy session" may very well have some relevance to you one of these days. So pay attention.

Just like LAS isn't going anywhere....oh wait....it's gone.

and the PHL/PHX comment is just stupid.

Wishing the AA folks the best of luck.

Yawn, another Usair pipe dream. If wishing made it come true you would all be wearing United uniforms already.

Wrong. There may be some over here itching to merge with AA, but not everyone. I'm in the "I hope not" category. But whether or not it happens no one from Tempe or Dallas is calling me or you to get our approval so I don't spend a lot of time pontificating as to whether it will or will not happen. And neither should you.

Wrong. There may be some over here itching to merge with AA, but not everyone. I'm in the "I hope not" category. But whether or not it happens no one from Tempe or Dallas is calling me or you to get our approval so I don't spend a lot of time pontificating as to whether it will or will not happen. And neither should you.

As with so many other "mergers", the business viability and possible good to the companies in question are of second or third priority - the main issue is always the agreements re: how the executives are paid off for "doing such a wonderful job" - near and below the call of duty, as usual.

Those SOBs will always take care of themselves first - always have, always will.

As with so many other "mergers", the business viability and possible good to the companies in question are of second or third priority - the main issue is always the agreements re: how the executives are paid off for "doing such a wonderful job" - near and below the call of duty, as usual.

Those SOBs will always take care of themselves first - always have, always will.

I totally agree. This "Occupy" movement seems to be speaking to gist of your post. I just hope it has legs.

I totally agree. This "Occupy" movement seems to be speaking to gist of your post. I just hope it has legs.

Just wait for the first day of bad weather. The movement will scatter, not to be seen until next spring.

Back