WestJet's AMFA/Engineers reach a T/A with the company

So give the US airline labor movement Canada's laws. It's easy -- abolish the Railway Labor Act and put all labor groups under Taft Hartley.

You'd have the same rights the Canadian airline unions and pretty much every other union in the US do. You wouldn't have the risk of being forced back to work by a PEB, and can't have a contract imposed by Congress.

But... you'd then lose the safety net that the RLA provides which is why there's so much tough talk and waffling when the time comes to actually take action.

Canadian Laws are much different than American Laws Bozo. AMFA was able to hold the Airline hostage and the Airline had to pay the ransom. That’s the real facts.

Yes, Canadian Laws are different, and AMFA's negotiating team at Westjet had sound legal advice that allowed them to successfully negotiate with intransigent company negotiators, and legally strike the company when they refused to negotiate in good faith. Westjet AME's held firm in their strike commitment and won contractual improvements.

Congratulations AMFA & Westjet AME's - Well Done.

So give the US airline labor movement Canada's laws. It's easy -- abolish the Railway Labor Act and put all labor groups under Taft Hartley.

You'd have the same rights the Canadian airline unions and pretty much every other union in the US do. You wouldn't have the risk of being forced back to work by a PEB, and can't have a contract imposed by Congress.

But... you'd then lose the safety net that the RLA provides which is why there's so much tough talk and waffling when the time comes to actually take action.

Excellent response earning a like. Good point saying that the grass isn’t necessarily greener on the other side.

But reading some of the details of that new law that they passed it sounds like it’s almost impossible to replace us if we strike if we had that included in the terms you mention.

That’s the issue that could also work for or against either side. Example: Our total Ramp workforce is currently over 20,000. That’s not easy to replace. My Station has only 80 though. Scabs could take on that work.

Dare I say it but I’d almost like for us to get the same deal as the Railroads. Congressional imposition. It’s frustrating and time and money consuming to go so many years before getting to a deal.

Yes, Canadian Laws are different, and AMFA's negotiating team at Westjet had sound legal advice that allowed them to successfully negotiate with intransigent company negotiators, and legally strike the company when they refused to negotiate in good faith. Westjet AME's held firm in their strike commitment and won contractual improvements.

Congratulations AMFA & Westjet AME's - Well Done.

You need to really give credit where credit is due. AMFA/Seham/Mechanics jumped on this before the ink was dry. Now I just read a Railroad Group is planning to do the same thing.

Good chance this group may go the same route now and not wait to strike?

Yes please. The sooner we're all under the same labor rules as other industries, the better.

I’d just be happy with a modification of the Law to prevent Companies (And Unions) from bogging down and stalling the process. Talks should never go beyond 1 year max.

I just got a sense of Deja Vu.

You need to really give credit where credit is due. AMFA/Seham/Mechanics jumped on this before the ink was dry. Now I just read a Railroad Group is planning to do the same thing.

I did.

AMFA's negotiating team at Westjet had sound legal advice that allowed them to successfully negotiate with intransigent company negotiators, and legally strike the company when they refused to negotiate in good faith. Westjet AME's held firm in their strike commitment and won contractual improvements.

Its you that seems incapable of giving credit where its due.

I did.

Its you that seems incapable of giving credit where its due.

Credit: In order.

The Law (For making it easy)
The Mechanics (For walking out)
The Negotiators (Whoever they were)
The Advisors (SSM&P and Brett)
The Minister (For being stupid)
The CIRB (For saying their hands are tied)
The Airline Management (For realizing they better pay the ransom)
The Passengers (For being screwed)

That’s the best you going to get from me when we both know no one group or party made it all happen.

BTW Third seat I’m not saying what “AMFA” did was wrong. If Canada was stupid enough to sign off on that Law they deserve everything they get and every other Union in the Country should follow what AMFA just did when they come up to bat. (Until they dump that Law)

The risks of a Strike here are that there will be people ready and willing to replace you or your actions could put the Company out of business (Hostess) if you take it too far.

What was that IAM leaders comment a long time ago about strangling the goose?

Credit: In order.

While I disagree with your order, its your opinion.

The Law (For making it easy)

Not sure what thats supposed to mean - the CIRB decision that confirmed AMFA's right to strike also confirmed that until the arbitration was complete that the company also still had the right to lock out.

The Minister (For being stupid)
The CIRB (For saying their hands are tied)

I consider these 2 linked - The Minister didn't realize the limits of his power. He could order arbitration, but the power to enjoin the strike remained with the CIRB. The CIRB for their part, remained consistent, and simply reaffirmed their earlier ruling that AMFA was still free to strike.

The Airline Management (For realizing they better pay the ransom)

Its not ransom, its contract demands during negotiations.

BTW Third seat I’m not saying what “AMFA” did was wrong. If Canada was stupid enough to sign off on that Law they deserve everything they get and every other Union in the Country should follow what AMFA just did when they come up to bat. (Until they dump that Law)

The risks of a Strike here are that there will be people ready and willing to replace you or your actions could put the Company out of business (Hostess) if you take it too far.

No idea where you're going with this.

The Company was the first to threaten a Lock Out during the first TA ratification. When that was resoundingly shot down they couldn't count on with certainty if/how many AME's might cross the line. Earlier, in negotiations they had admitted they couldn't find new AME's with the wages they were offering. Thats why they ran for arbitration. The lack of willing available talent worked in AMFA's favor. When the CIRB confirmed AMFA's right to strike while waiting on arbitration, they soon settled.

As others have mentioned in earlier posts, it'd be nice if the US adopted these rules - no more multi-year delay fests.

While I disagree with your order, its your opinion.

Not sure what thats supposed to mean - the CIRB decision that confirmed AMFA's right to strike also confirmed that until the arbitration was complete that the company also still had the right to lock out.

I consider these 2 linked - The Minister didn't realize the limits of his power. He could order arbitration, but the power to enjoin the strike remained with the CIRB. The CIRB for their part, remained consistent, and simply reaffirmed their earlier ruling that AMFA was still free to strike.

Its not ransom, its contract demands during negotiations.

No idea where you're going with this.

The Company was the first to threaten a Lock Out during the first TA ratification. When that was resoundingly shot down they couldn't count on with certainty if/how many AME's might cross the line. Earlier, in negotiations they had admitted they couldn't find new AME's with the wages they were offering. Thats why they ran for arbitration. The lack of willing available talent worked in AMFA's favor. When the CIRB confirmed AMFA's right to strike while waiting on arbitration, they soon settled.

As others have mentioned in earlier posts, it'd be nice if the US adopted these rules - no more multi-year delay fests.

Please stop breaking things up in boxes. It’s unnecessary.

The Lockout obviously was a bluff because they went nuts when AMFA walked.

It was ransom because the Company lost almost all the ability to have anyone else do the work. Read the parameters of that new law.

I’m sure they were having difficulty hiring workers if the wages sucked. Canada is more expensive than some places in America.

Hey if it makes you happy though and settles this, congratulations to AMFA for their win. 🏆

Please stop breaking things up in boxes. It’s unnecessary.

The Lockout obviously was a bluff because they went nuts when AMFA walked.

It was ransom because the Company lost almost all the ability to have anyone else do the work. Read the parameters of that new law.

I’m sure they were having difficulty hiring workers if the wages sucked. Canada is more expensive than some places in America.

Hey if it makes you happy though and settles this, congratulations to AMFA for their win. 🏆

No it wasn't ransom. If the company was only bluffing a lockout and/or couldn't find enough replacements, or perhaps simply didn't want to spend the additional money to do so, thats just AMFA negotiators taking advantage of the market. The Company was still free to hire replacement workers.

Did you even read the link you posted earlier? The new law banning replacement workers doesn't go into affect until next year.

Bill C-58 will impact the dynamic of a strike or lockout in the federal sector. Employers that fail to comply with the new restrictions may be subject to significant penalties. Federal workplaces should begin to plan now for how they may address this when the legislation ultimately comes into force on June 20, 2025.

Great timing. Sun Country is watching like a hawk as AMFA just started to build a strike resolution cmte due to the "lack of good faith nego's" by the company.
Meanwhile over at Spirit, also in mediated talks, the co over there has been getting better at the nego table while in mediated talks now settling to TA's on articles in first week of mediated talks.
Could not have asked for a better outcome at WestJet all the while in contract talks at other airlines. The airline industry was watching like a hawk at the AMFA/WJ issue.
Great job to all the AMFA AME's, nego's, and evn the co nego's for finally coming to their senses after they were so badly prepared in order to pull off a threatened lock out. Well done to all involved!!!

Great timing. Sun Country is watching like a hawk as AMFA just started to build a strike resolution cmte due to the "lack of good faith nego's" by the company.
Meanwhile over at Spirit, also in mediated talks, the co over there has been getting better at the nego table while in mediated talks now settling to TA's on articles in first week of mediated talks.
Could not have asked for a better outcome at WestJet all the while in contract talks at other airlines. The airline industry was watching like a hawk at the AMFA/WJ issue.
Great job to all the AMFA AME's, nego's, and evn the co nego's for finally coming to their senses after they were so badly prepared in order to pull off a threatened lock out. Well done to all involved!!!
Do you think before you post?

Canadian labor laws DONT apply in the US

You post about Sun Country watching which is TOTALLY irrelevant

Back