WestJet's AMFA/Engineers reach a T/A with the company

BTW Hero this is only for information purposes. Since you brought up Base closures at AA I just checked the Seniority Lists for TWU/ IAM represented members at AA.

We have over:

11,000 AMT’s
3,000 Related
20,000 FSA’s

For a total of over 34,000 Association members.

Why I’m mentioning that is because since the merger we’ve grown the membership by almost 5,000 total heads. Part of that of course is due to more Aircraft but it’s also due to a mix of AA willingly adding headcount and our Contracts driving the need.

Just passing on the information.

Oh give it a rest - you haunt damn near every one of SWAMECH's posts - you deride almost anything said about AMFA no matter how benign - and yes, when it comes to AMFA you clearly have an agenda.

You are most certainly entitled to your "opinion" but when it comes to the subject of AMFA don't even try to claim its an objective one. Your own posts on this forum speak volumes to that.

On AMFA letterhead? I don't know - Why don't you call them, and find out?

Dude I didn’t post for around a week and the “second” I did you were here to jump on me. So apparently it’s you who’s living here. I bet if I disappeared for a month you’d also be back the “second” I surprised you. So give it a rest yourself. It’s you who has the agenda.

BTW how can you not have a copy since you’re such a loyal salesman for them?

Ok for ANYONE that might come here someday and try to gauge whether or not I’m being nice to AMFA I just went to their LM2’s to find this.

Bravo 👏 to AMFA that they are growing. As of the 2023 report they had over 4,300 Members. Plant a seed and eventually they grew a bush.

Their Dues are reasonable as well. 👏

IMG_0816.jpeg

Westjet AME's were pretty amazing in both position and participation solidarity - well over 90% in both

Yes, according to AMFA with results from an ElectionBuddy tally - ElectionBuddy is essentially the Canadian Ballotpoint.

The realities are clearly played out on the reddit streams I've read, maybe you're not looking hard enough.

Who says AMFA National doesn't want to share the details?

Westjet has no equivalent to Tulsa, and they do not perform heavy maintenance in house.

The Tulsa base was already in existence, and heavy maintenance was already being performed. The TWU worked with AA setting production goals - I saw no mention of any of this being cast in contractual language or part of a CBA negotiation.
The article does bring up some interesting items ...

What happened to TAESL?

What happened to Alliance?

What happened to the Kansas City maintenance base?
Yes. They were amazingly united. They showed the world how it gets done.
AMFA National will share the details once the voting is all done and counted, as long as it passes, which I'm sure it will this time. Should be this week though so stay tuned. Whoever is saying AMFA doesn't want to share is spreading BS again as you know.

Yes. They were amazingly united. They showed the world how it gets done.
AMFA National will share the details once the voting is all done and counted, as long as it passes, which I'm sure it will this time. Should be this week though so stay tuned. Whoever is saying AMFA doesn't want to share is spreading BS again as you know.

Whoever is me!!!! Wave 👋 Oh please please please pay attention to me. Boo Hoo Boo Hoo that you have me on ignore.

In reality it’s probably better that the details aren’t shared publicly until after the vote as outside influences could put in their two cents polluting the negotiating team from explaining the details. The group is small enough that it’s better to keep it contained.

I look forward to reading the full deal when AMFA decides to release it.

Well, Well done WJ AME's and AMFA. Another first with AMFA representation for the airline industry into another country. It says a lot when other airlines are raising the bar too after this WJ first contract is overwhelmingly voted in. Below are the latest updates from AMFA National on the new agreement...

AMFA–WJ 2ND TENTATIVE AGREEMENT RATIFICATION REFERENDUM RESULTS
Jul 12, 2024​
July 12, 2024
The votes for the AMFA – WestJet (WJ) 2nd Tentative Agreement (TA) Ratification Referendum were tallied on July 12, 2024. Votes for this referendum were counted and certified by ElectionBuddy, and the results are as follows:
Accept:96.28%
Reject:3.72%
Jay Johnson
National Secretary/Treasurer

AMFA-WJ NEGOTIATIONS UPDATE #30: TENTATIVE AGREEMENT 2 HAS BEEN RATIFIED
Jul 12, 2024​
July 12, 2024
Our members have ratified the second AMFA-WestJet tentative agreement (TA2) with 96.28% membership approval.
Your two-day strike had the effect of resurrecting a dying craft. We have placed Canada on a path of enhanced aviation safety by providing a new standard for Aircraft Maintenance Engineer (AME) compensation. The major improvements secured in our collective agreement will begin to attract a new generation of talent to aircraft maintenance.
It has never been disputed that Canada’s AMEs are grossly underpaid, particularly in view of their skill level and the heavy responsibility they bear.
* During negotiations, WestJet conceded it could not fill dozens of open positions
* WestJet reliance on unprecedented levels of overtime resulted in constant AME complaints of fatigue levels potentially compromising safety
* Recent WestJet hires have included individuals with little or no experience maintaining Boeing aircraft, further evidence of the chronic AME shortage
Although, in the short term, the acute AME shortage will persist, our contract restores the hope that, in coming years, we will be able to attract the best and brightest to our safety-critical profession. Compensation rates are already being matched at other companies desperate to stem the outflow of skilled workers essential to running an airline. You have restored hope for all AMEs that we will finally be recognized for the work we perform to ensure aviation safety.
Not only was this a great moment for AMEs but also a triumphant victory for all working men and women in Canada. Notwithstanding the immense political pressure to which it was subject, the Board resolutely adhered to the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms by upholding our fundamental right to collectively withhold our labour.
The CIRB did the right thing for the AMEs, the safety of the airline industry, and the nation.
Now, shoulder to the wheel! Let’s make WestJet number one.
Fraternally,
AMFA-WestJet Negotiating Committee

PRESS RELEASE: WESTJET AMES RATIFY FIRST COLLECTIVE AGREEMENT
Jul 12, 2024​
For Immediate Release
Phone:
Email:
Bret Oestreich, National President
(720) 744-6628
[email protected]
CENTENNIAL, Colo. – July 12, 2024 – WestJet Aircraft Maintenance Engineers (AMEs) in Canada have voted overwhelmingly to ratify the group’s first collective agreement with 96.28% membership approval. The employees are members of the Aircraft Mechanics Fraternal Association (AMFA) and the ratification comes after months of negotiations and maneuvering that resulted in a strike.
WestJet refused to return to negotiations in June when members voted to reject their first tentative agreement and then tried to use the Canadian government to force the agreement into effect. The Minister of Labour and Canada Industrial Relations Board (CIRB) refused WestJet’s appeal and ordered the parties back to the table.
“This agreement is a testament to the tenacity and hard work of the negotiating team and members at WestJet,” said Bret Oestreich, AMFA National President. “It is also a testament to workers' power with a union.”
“Negotiating a first contract with any company tends to be a long and arduous process. In this case, management at WestJet chose to make it even more difficult when they attempted to force a subpar agreement on the membership,” explains Oestreich. “And, to make matters worse, after our members pushed back and rejected the company’s offer, they refused to negotiate, choosing instead to appeal to the highest levels of government. Ultimately, WestJet’s choice led to our members exercising their constitutional right to strike.”
The Union felt that the company’s appeal to force them into binding arbitration was premature. On two separate occasions, the CIRB confirmed the union’s position and allowed the employees to proceed with a strike action. The strike and the subsequent government conciliation services worked to bring both parties back into negotiations and bring the legal strike action to a rapid conclusion.
The new five-year agreement includes wage increases that “reflect the value that these highly skilled Engineers add to the maintenance technical operations by ensuring the airline’s fleet is fit and safe for flight,” said Oestreich. “And our members can take heart that because of this historic agreement, all Canadian AMEs, union or not, will see a positive impact as several airlines are proactively increasing their AME wages.”

Well, Well done WJ AME's and AMFA. Another first with AMFA representation for the airline industry into another country. It says a lot when other airlines are raising the bar too after this WJ first contract is overwhelmingly voted in. Below are the latest updates from AMFA National on the new agreement...

Jul 12, 2024​
July 12, 2024
The votes for the AMFA – WestJet (WJ) 2nd Tentative Agreement (TA) Ratification Referendum were tallied on July 12, 2024. Votes for this referendum were counted and certified by ElectionBuddy, and the results are as follows:

Jay Johnson

AMFA-WJ NEGOTIATIONS UPDATE #30: TENTATIVE AGREEMENT 2 HAS BEEN RATIFIED
Jul 12, 2024​
July 12, 2024
Our members have ratified the second AMFA-WestJet tentative agreement (TA2) with 96.28% membership approval.
Your two-day strike had the effect of resurrecting a dying craft. We have placed Canada on a path of enhanced aviation safety by providing a new standard for Aircraft Maintenance Engineer (AME) compensation. The major improvements secured in our collective agreement will begin to attract a new generation of talent to aircraft maintenance.
It has never been disputed that Canada’s AMEs are grossly underpaid, particularly in view of their skill level and the heavy responsibility they bear.
* During negotiations, WestJet conceded it could not fill dozens of open positions
* WestJet reliance on unprecedented levels of overtime resulted in constant AME complaints of fatigue levels potentially compromising safety
* Recent WestJet hires have included individuals with little or no experience maintaining Boeing aircraft, further evidence of the chronic AME shortage
Although, in the short term, the acute AME shortage will persist, our contract restores the hope that, in coming years, we will be able to attract the best and brightest to our safety-critical profession. Compensation rates are already being matched at other companies desperate to stem the outflow of skilled workers essential to running an airline. You have restored hope for all AMEs that we will finally be recognized for the work we perform to ensure aviation safety.
Not only was this a great moment for AMEs but also a triumphant victory for all working men and women in Canada. Notwithstanding the immense political pressure to which it was subject, the Board resolutely adhered to the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms by upholding our fundamental right to collectively withhold our labour.
The CIRB did the right thing for the AMEs, the safety of the airline industry, and the nation.
Now, shoulder to the wheel! Let’s make WestJet number one.
Fraternally,
AMFA-WestJet Negotiating Committee

PRESS RELEASE: WESTJET AMES RATIFY FIRST COLLECTIVE AGREEMENT
Jul 12, 2024​
For Immediate Release
Phone:
Email:
Bret Oestreich, National President
(720) 744-6628
[email protected]
CENTENNIAL, Colo. – July 12, 2024 – WestJet Aircraft Maintenance Engineers (AMEs) in Canada have voted overwhelmingly to ratify the group’s first collective agreement with 96.28% membership approval. The employees are members of the Aircraft Mechanics Fraternal Association (AMFA) and the ratification comes after months of negotiations and maneuvering that resulted in a strike.
WestJet refused to return to negotiations in June when members voted to reject their first tentative agreement and then tried to use the Canadian government to force the agreement into effect. The Minister of Labour and Canada Industrial Relations Board (CIRB) refused WestJet’s appeal and ordered the parties back to the table.
“This agreement is a testament to the tenacity and hard work of the negotiating team and members at WestJet,” said Bret Oestreich, AMFA National President. “It is also a testament to workers' power with a union.”
“Negotiating a first contract with any company tends to be a long and arduous process. In this case, management at WestJet chose to make it even more difficult when they attempted to force a subpar agreement on the membership,” explains Oestreich. “And, to make matters worse, after our members pushed back and rejected the company’s offer, they refused to negotiate, choosing instead to appeal to the highest levels of government. Ultimately, WestJet’s choice led to our members exercising their constitutional right to strike.”
The Union felt that the company’s appeal to force them into binding arbitration was premature. On two separate occasions, the CIRB confirmed the union’s position and allowed the employees to proceed with a strike action. The strike and the subsequent government conciliation services worked to bring both parties back into negotiations and bring the legal strike action to a rapid conclusion.
The new five-year agreement includes wage increases that “reflect the value that these highly skilled Engineers add to the maintenance technical operations by ensuring the airline’s fleet is fit and safe for flight,” said Oestreich. “And our members can take heart that because of this historic agreement, all Canadian AMEs, union or not, will see a positive impact as several airlines are proactively increasing their AME wages.”

What other Airlines are raising the bar because of this? What are you talking about?

And where are the details? Canada 🇨🇦

Jul 12, 2024​
July 12, 2024

Jay Johnson

Unity throughout - Well done Westjet AME's

Love the fact that Brett said this new agreement set a new bar for pay thru-out Canada's other airlines too. This is great news for the industry. AMFA will now grow larger into Canada, as well as here in the US as well.

Love the fact that Brett said this new agreement set a new bar for pay thru-out Canada's other airlines too. This is great news for the industry. AMFA will now grow larger into Canada, as well as here in the US as well.

AMFA (Lee Seham) still continuing the same MO I always bring up. Presenting unsuccessful representation filings to be able to bill current AMFA Members for the work. Raiding other already established unions. AMFA (Seham) is still and always will be a leech.

Indeed, unity throughout. They really do deserve praise for showing and acting in such strong unity. And I strongly feel that this is why the other airlines in Canada are also raising the bar in pay rather union or not after this win-win-win for the WestJet AME's as Brett indicated as such in his last update above. And this is how AMFA gets noticed by the entire industry when you make that happen at other and even non-union shops. It really does speak volumes, when everyone is that unified and stay unified as you said throughout.

AMFA (Lee Seham) still continuing the same MO I always bring up. Presenting unsuccessful representation filings to be able to bill current AMFA Members for the work. Raiding other already established unions. AMFA (Seham) is still and always will be a leech.

We know you are a fan of the no-raid policy, but I'll never understand your blind obedience to sticking with the union you inherited from past elections. Because they know the no-raid policy limits their exposure to being held accountable by the membership, that leads to complacency and apathy.

The ugly truth for you is that AMFA has a win under its belt at Air Canada's only competitor.

If the IAMAW at Air Canada has taken the "you're stuck with us" approach that incumbent unions here in the US do, then the amount of energy they put into getting the representation filing overturned is telling.

A real union would have said "bring it on" if they thought they'd been providing and proving value to its members, instead of running to the government to stave off the fight for what will be 6-9 months.

If anything, by pushing that vote off until after AMFA scored that win, the IAMAW may have made the prospect of the next representation vote that much more difficult to win.

We know you are a fan of the no-raid policy, but I'll never understand your blind obedience to sticking with the union you inherited from past elections. Because they know the no-raid policy limits their exposure to being held accountable by the membership, that leads to complacency and apathy.

The ugly truth for you is that AMFA has a win under its belt at Air Canada's only competitor.

If the IAMAW at Air Canada has taken the "you're stuck with us" approach that incumbent unions here in the US do, then the amount of energy they put into getting the representation filing overturned is telling.

A real union would have said "bring it on" if they thought they'd been providing and proving value to its members, instead of running to the government to stave off the fight for what will be 6-9 months.

If anything, by pushing that vote off until after AMFA scored that win, the IAMAW may have made the prospect of the next representation vote that much more difficult to win.

Nothing personal to the IAMAW. They can fight their own battles. I’m TWU and very loyal to them because I have a laundry list of things limited to but not including:

My Great Uncle Joe having been TWU in the Subways.
My career (Thanking AA too of course)
TWU helping get my very much down and out friend back in NY a Train Operator Job (They kept an eye on him for me)
And many many friendships.

You’ve never and maybe never will understand but the TWU is my family. And that’s through thick and thin, agreements and disagreements. TWU is not a name, it’s the people in it I support.

Back