Us Airways And United Airlines Merger Attempt

deltawatch

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
Erie Times-News, Pa March 6, 2005 10:12am
Knight-Ridder / Tribune Business News

Mar. 6--Financially troubled US Airways' chances for survival are improving, at least in the eyes of Kelly Fredericks, Erie International Airport's executive director, and some other statewide aviation officials.

Fredericks, fresh from a meeting of the Governor's Aviation Advisory Council in Harrisburg, said conversations with some industry insiders has left him much more optimistic that US Airways -- the dominant airline in the Erie market -- will survive its second flight through bankruptcy.

At one point in January local airport officials putting US Airways' chances at about 50-50.

Fredericks said the buzz also says to watch for US Airways and United Airlines to resurrect an attempt at a merger. Some in the industry say that could happen in the next 18 months.

http://www.hoovers.com/free/news/detail.xh...bef0007f0f65fa3

Never HAPPEN...

There are people in Hell looking for ice cubes as well.

We are in our own fire all bye ourselves.

At this point....who cares? If it can work together, than that's how it should be. Our pay and work rules are pretty similar, don't discount it. Besides, Lufthansa has a LOT to lose if both partners left the market....so they could be the financial backer.

I doubt you will find anyone willing to take that bet, lol!

I would... UAL would be the surviving entity, which screws over the "USAir taking over the world" crap he has been spouting for the past couple of years.

ual777fan said:
I would... UAL would be the surviving entity, which screws over the "USAir taking over the world" crap he has been spouting for the past couple of years.
[post="253259"][/post]​

You are on... the article doesn't mention UAL as the surviving entity that was added by savy. :huh:

Then let me add that because of the sheer size of United, and the fact that its name recognition is much higher than that of USAirways. It would make since to keep the name and the lazy U. But with the management that there is currently at both airlines... you'd probably win that bet.

Oh lord, here we go again. I've always been in the pro-merger camp once LCCs basically took all domestic pricing power away from the legacies. If they took both carrier's assets and actually came up with a plan instead of simply tacking one carrier's network onto the other it could be a good thing. But, as has been stated, with management such as it is at both carriers, I'm sure they would do the least logical, least profitable and least customer friendly thing possible.

Let's face it, UA's presence and gates at LAX, SFO, DEN, ORD, IAD, NRT and other airports combined with its route network is by far the best. But, combined with US's DCA, LGA and PHL gates (yes, PHL may suck but it is a huge population base) it would be even better. I'm still at a loss with what to do with CLT. I guess I'd have to see the #s.

Btw, nice graphic 700UW.

ual777fan said:
But with the management that there is currently at both airlines... you'd probably win that bet.
[post="253264"][/post]​

I think you misunderstood my bet it had nothing to do with a merger per se only that 320pilot would start a new thread of his own on this very news story and thump his chest that he told us so.

USFlyer said:
Let's face it, UA's presence and gates at LAX, SFO, DEN, ORD, IAD, NRT and other airports combined with its route network is by far the best.

[post="253271"][/post]​

I seem to remember PSA then USAirways having a huge presence at a couple of those airports. Sounds like groundhog day.

Well, if the Erie airport manager said that's what the "buzz" is, then it must be a done deal.

I hear Erie will be the new merged entity's transpac hub, too, with hourly A380 service to SYD.

Back