Union Thugs disrupt school day

We've seen how "playing nice" has worked out for America's working class...

Once upon a time these bad men in DC sent airbuses to Mobile because they said they could.

We went due process without shutting down the airline.

We won with patience.

Sometimes "one day longer" is the right course...

Sometimes throwing the (proverbial) brick through a window is...

You guys took what you felt was the best course of action... so did these drivers...

Can you point to me to where I "touted" the bus monitor?

Surely you're not misquoting me again, are you?

And, really: no one's "going on" about anything; I'm simply refuting your hysterical claims.

Again: Disruptive? You bet. Dangerous? Not so much. There is a distinct difference between the two. Your insistence on conflating the two doesn't change that.

Once again you are jumping to conclusions beyond what I actually posted. "You" (Kev3188) may not have posted about the bus monitor, I simply stated that the media and popular opinion that women and the bus driver and bus monitor role was one to ensure safety of the children.

Hysterical? Give me a break. There are clearly safety concerns that you are choosing to ignore. Like I said, I know you like this kind of militant action, we disagree but don't act as if it didn't threaten the safety of thousands of children. There is indeed a distinct difference between the two but they are both applicable for this job action.

Josh

Hey, if all else fails,...they gave Veolia 'something to think about'.

(like, BEWARE. This is BOSTON,...Not Atlanta GEORGIA ) !!!!

And as an aside,
I THANK GOD, every payday when I look at the pay-stub and see the spot that says ...UNION DUES....X amt. of dollars !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GOD BLESS Organized Labor !

Yeah and if this happened in Atlanta, Houston, Miami, Phoenix or any major city outside the NE, Chicago, or California they don't put up with this nonsense. One of my most memorable discussions was with the rental car shuttle drivers (IBT represented) at PHX airport in fall 2011, turns out one of the stewards was on the bus and asked about how the collective bargaining environment is. He went onto essentially say they are powerless with AZ being a RTW state and most employees don't point/pay dues (or agency fee.

We can only hope Marty Walsh continues to be seen as out of touch and in the pockets of big labor, there have been attacks and reforms on public sector workers in MA over the recent years. Are you familiar with firefighters arbitration in 2010?

Bears, when these jokers get fined and possibly jailed will you come to their support?

Josh

Ah, I see the pearl clutching is starting early this morning. Fun!

Hysterical? Give me a break. There are clearly safety concerns that you are choosing to ignore.

No there aren't. If you have specific examples of the physical safety of these children being threatened as a direct result of this action, then post it, and we can discuss it.

There is indeed a distinct difference between the two but they are both applicable for this job action.

No they aren't.

No there aren't. If you have specific examples of the physical safety of these children being threatened as a direct result of this action, then post it, and we can discuss it.

-Children left unaccounted for waiting at their bus stop
-Strangers who may be sex offenders picking up children offering to take them to school
-Children getting lost trying to find their own way
-Using public transportation without supervision
-Special needs students left unattended

But I'm sure you will continue to ignore all this and insist the job action didn't compromise safety.

Josh

-Children left unaccounted for waiting at their bus stop
-Strangers who may be sex offenders picking up children offering to take them to school
-Children getting lost trying to find their own way
-Using public transportation without supervision
-Special needs students left unattended

But I'm sure you will continue to ignore all this and insist the job action didn't compromise safety.

Josh

Hypothetical scenarios make for a good sound bite on the nightly news. I'm looking for specific instances/occurences.

...And again, were we to use your list, I have to ask: Where are all the parents? If they're old enough to be left alone at the stop, they're old enough to have a contigency plan. If they're not, then it's a parenting issue, and this job action simply put a spotlight on it...

Hypothetical scenarios make for a good sound bite on the nightly news. I'm looking for specific instances/occurences.

...And again, were we to use your list, I have to ask: Where are all the parents? If they're old enough to be left alone at the stop, they're old enough to have a contigency plan. If they're not, then it's a parenting issue, and this job action simply put a spotlight on it...

Probably working fulltime. Not everyone has the luxury of having parents around to support them at every waking hour of the day.

Josh

You did, you asked "where are ALL the parents?". Again not everyone has parent support around the clock, many of these children come from challenged households to begin with. Were this Newton or Brookline you'd have a point but not inner city schools.

Just because a contingency plan is in place doesn't mean you are shielded from all potential danger. You serious believe that merely having plans in place is the ultimate protection?

Josh

Yeah, it's a rhetorical question. You can run the "not every kid has helicopter parents" talking point into the ground; the argument isn't a socioeconomic one, and it won't change the points I've made.

You think just leaving a kid for the bus is "protection" in the first place?

Still waiting for a specific instance of a child harmed as a direct result of this job action.

USWA tells locals stop it.......knows they have a major contract issue.....

USW Calls on School Bus Drivers to Return to Work

BOSTON (October – The United Steelworkers (USW) released the following statement today from USW District 4 Director John Shinn in response to an unauthorized work stoppage by members of USW Local 8751 employed by Veolia Transportation as drivers for Boston Public Schools:

"The USW does not condone the current action, or any violation of our collective bargaining agreement, and has instructed all members of Local 8751 to immediately cease this strike against Veolia Transportation and resume work as soon as possible."

“This activity does not represent the majority of our members, who believe that our issues with Veolia Transportation must be addressed through proper avenues including our contractual grievance procedure and the National Labor Relations Board," Shinn said.

The USW represents 850,000 members in the United States, Canada and the Caribbean. It is the largest private-sector union in North America, representing workers in a range of industries including metals, mining, rubber, paper and forestry, oil refining, health care, security, hotels, and municipal governments and agencies.

1383457_545383058882754_306412531_n.jpg

Topping a 16-point list of union demands presented to Veolia was a halt to the bus company's use of two new electronic tracking systems: a GPS device that allows parents to monitor bus location through an app on their smartphones, and Versatrans, a software program that helps route buses and is used by the company to determine evaluations and pay.

John Dunlap, the city's chief of labor and personnel, said the union said there would be no more job actions. But because the union disavowed the strike on Tuesday, which it said was led by rogue members, it was unclear if its assurances meant the end of any work stoppages.

http://www.bostonschoolbusunion.org/pdf/contract_2011.pdf

Back