UA and CO seems a go

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your post just made me think of something. Despite all of Parkers' faults, you're correct in saying "Parker isn't a moron." It could very well be Parker was negotiating for some divestitures that will result from a UA/CO merger instead of a full-blown merger with UA. This whole saga could end up after all being some sort of "three-way" between UA/US/CO. Question: What routes, fleets, slots, gates or other assets might UA/CO want to sell or the DOJ require to be sold for a merger to be approved? This could be the real plan. I'll start: With both ORD and IAH as fortress hubs, DEN seems to become less of a necessity.

US Club members just received an e-mail stating that they can now access UA's RCC's without a same-day UA ticket. This sounds suspiciously like US-UA foreplay from a marketing perspective.

Interesting...I visited the CLT club last week with my CO PC card and didn't need to have a ticket...then again I was visiting an old friend ( I do miss you folks at US). She told me that UA RCC members DO need to have a ticket on US for that day, so perhaps it is being relaxed on a reciprocal basis as well.

That said, the more I think about it the more SOME form of move to OneWorld for US makes sense. There are definite synergies with AA, so some form of code share agreement or other transaction (I don't think AA would buy US because of the labor issues and COC problems--they would NEVER let US be the acquiring carrier). Also, with UA/CO combining, there is little if any room for US, nor does it make sense for them to remain.

At the end of the day, we are just along for the ride whichever way this shakes out.

My BEST to you all.....

US Club members just received an e-mail stating that they can now access UA's RCC's without a same-day UA ticket. This sounds suspiciously like US-UA foreplay from a marketing perspective.

It makes sense. They may have been losing membership. Why buy a US membership when it only gives you access to CO PC and US CLubs and you need to pay extra for UA RCC and/or be flying on UA. With a CO PC you get access to UA and US and don't need a same day boarding pass. and you don't pay extra.

This was just a reminder. You haven't needed a same day ticket for a UA or CO club for probably about a year now.

This was just a reminder. You haven't needed a same day ticket for a UA or CO club for probably about a year now.

That's interesting because based on this link you do need a same day ticket for UA:

https://shopping.usairways.com/Club/Enrollment.aspx

I think you might be confusing this with US eliminating the $120 surcharge for US Club members to enter RCC's. This is the e-mail that was sent to US Club members this morning:

Enjoy United’s Red Carpet Clubs – even when you fly with US
We’re expanding your club access. Now, you can enjoy all of United’s Red Carpet Clubs no matter who you’re flying!
Being a US Airways Club member makes enjoying over 250 clubs worldwide even easier. Enjoy all US Airways Clubs, Continental's Presidents Clubs, United's Red Carpet Clubs and Star Alliance lounges.* Welcome to a world of more comfortable travel and increased club access.
We hope to see you soon.
Sincerely,

Fernand Fernandez
Director, Marketing Programs

US Club and CO Presidents Club members have enjoyed reciprocal benefits for the members + 2 guests -- even when not on a same-day ticket -- since the fall, when CO joined the *A.

I find it very telling that US has extended free "blanket" UA RCC access to their members just a few days after US "backing out" of merger talks with UA. The timing is just too coincidental for me to dismiss it. Is there a potential three-way brewing? Magic 8 Ball says: "Ask Again Later." :rolleyes:

I still see US being a good fit for AA, labor issues aside. Or, at least a partner in Oneworld. Remember US was an AA partner during the Wolf years.

I also see AS being a good fit for US, but AS seems to be doing just fine in their own west coast niche. This, incidentally, is a good reason why US does not necessarily need to merge. If AS can sustain itself with ANC, SEA and other key west coast routes, why can't US sustain itself with PHL, DCA, CLT and other key east coast routes?
US was never a partner with AA, it was BA.

US was never a partner with AA, it was BA.

Yes, they were. It was a really long time ago -- in the 90's. I was not mileage-savvy then so I was not paying close attention to the why's and the wherefore's, but I remember being able to earn and redeem US miles on AA flights, and vice versa. UA and DL had a partnership during this time, as well, and I think that both DL and AA severed their partnerships with UA and US, respectively, during US/UA's failed first attempt at a merger.

I worked at US during the 90s, US and AA were never partners.
I guess it depends on how you define partners. As late as the early 2000's you were able to use US miles on American. I did. I used them to fly American to Santiago.

Yes, they were. It was a really long time ago -- in the 90's. I was not mileage-savvy then so I was not paying close attention to the why's and the wherefore's, but I remember being able to earn and redeem US miles on AA flights, and vice versa. UA and DL had a partnership during this time, as well, and I think that both DL and AA severed their partnerships with UA and US, respectively, during US/UA's failed first attempt at a merger.

I can remember as late as '98... I was diverted on a US redeye from LAS into DEN. I was able to get into the AA club as a US club member to wait until my rebooked flight. AA and US had earn/redeem miles and mutual club benefits. That all ended not too long before the first UA/US merger attempt in 2000.

It could very well be Parker was negotiating for some divestitures that will result from a UA/CO merger instead of a full-blown merger with UA. This whole saga could end up after all being some sort of "three-way" between UA/US/CO.
I saw the analysis done before the 2008 merger attempt by UA and CO. The only place that might see draw down in CLE, do to it's proximity to ORD. Other than that there is basically no overlap. CO has almost no presence in the Pacific (from the mainland. not including Guam.) So very little changes there. UA has very little to Latin America. Europe is another story, but they UA and CO's gateways are different and we will still be # 2 to Europe behind DL. So again don't expect divestitures there.

United-Continental deal is smooth flying for analysts

"Plenty of positives and little risk, which regulators are expected to back."

"I see nothing but positives," said Roger King, a bond analyst with CreditSights. "These guys will have the best global network of any airline."

"Analysts expect U.S. antitrust regulators will give the new airline its approval, and none of the analysts MarketWatch spoke to could think of any gates or landing slots the new airline might be forced to sell."

"Because of the minimal overlap between, layoffs and furloughs will likely be few."

I don't remember any of the specifics but in the 90's I remember ticket jackets and timetables with AA and US tails on it. It read something like "A match made in the heavens" or something. We even had all the AA connections going into one of their hubs. There certainly was some sort of partnership that ended with the UA merger attempt.

I worked at US during the 90s, US and AA were never partners.

Wrong.

From page #2 of the AA 10-K for 1998:

In April 1998, American and US Airways announced the creation of a broad marketing alliance between the two carriers. During 1998, the two carriers introduced reciprocal benefits to members of both carriers' frequent flyer programs and access to the carriers' domestic and international airport lounge facilities.

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=117098&p=irol-SECText&TEXT=aHR0cDovL2NjYm4uMTBrd2l6YXJkLmNvbS94bWwvZmlsaW5nLnhtbD9yZXBvPXRlbmsmaXBhZ2U9ODg3MDYwJmF0dGFjaD1PTiZzWEJSTD0x

Folks,

This is about the effects of UA/CO on US, and the options open to US in the FUTURE. It is not about the past tie ins with AA.

There will be NO further discussion about what took place in 1998--but you can discuss FUTURE options all you want.

If the current discussion of PAST marketing relationships continues this thread will be closed and you can go to the UA forum to discuss the pending merger.

Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back