TWU - Thought Police Cannon Fired

Checking it Out said:
Bob Owens has already determined he is guilty!

Qoute ;was the treasurer of Local 562,

Typical of AMFA; when it gets tough they get going! Running is typical when cornered!

If you do not believe me than look at who is left representing the members after a few years!

That's another TWU LIE!

Members DO NOT decide anything in the TWU!

One thing for sure is that the spin doctors seem to be active on both sides..man...sounds like a bunch of lawyer dropouts at times in here...SC

To say that Rasco “weaseled†his way out might be kind of harsh. Let’s say that he decided he could continue to corrupt the membership more effectively by having no character (just like the others who at first refused) and signing a letter stating his support for the TWU and pledging to oppose any opposition to our organization. That fact doesn’t seem to matter to our AMFA supporting folks. It’s okay to have NO CHARACTER as long you have the same agenda.

Incidentally, Sonny didn’t “remove “ anyone. He “suspended†them pending a trial. I know the argument. Sonny heads the committee. The fact is, the charges must be proper and be able to be proven. If not, the International could be sued in a court of law. As a matter of fact, anytime the International makes a decision they are taking a chance of being sued. Anyone can file a suit. The court decides who wins. Local 562 proved that fact. When 562 (along with others) thought they had a case, they sued. The judge decided the TWU was correct in their interpretation and enforcement of the contract.

siucstudent said:
If you had it to do over and were one semester from graduating with an A&P and a B.S. in Aviation Management what would you tell yourself the next time you looked in the mirror to shave?
Go into Forestry.

But seriously, if and when you do make it to the floor, whether it be in management or as a mechanic, don/t go telling the old hands how it is like you tend to do here. The result of that is NEVER good for the newbie. Besides, all of that schooling tends to have very little relevance to what is happening out in the real world. You won/t find that out until you are living it first hand.

Checking it Out said:
Bob Owens has already determined he is guilty!

Qoute ;was the treasurer of Local 562,

Typical of AMFA; when it gets tough they get going! Running is typical when cornered!

If you do not believe me than look at who is left representing the members after a few years!

TWU SOLIDARITY!
Well the fact is I am no longer acting as Treasurer.That is what the letter sent to me says. I can no longer sign checks, so "was" is the proper term.

I do not consider myself guilty, I still will work towards a solution to the dilemma that has plagued airline workers since the early eighties. My goal is not to slide into some six figure-paying job for myself while selling out those who trusted me with the privilege of representing them. I still believe that all airline workers would be better off in one union than split up between three unions that are not focused on the airline industry. However the track record where an accuser appoints the Judge and Jury is not good for the defendant. Its something that you would expect in a Banana Republic, certainly not from an organization that claims to be Democratic. Even though as the minutes from the hearing prove, that Bobby Gless had no case, everyone, I mean everyone with labor roots, from officers to lawyers to college professors knows that decisions in such an arena are not determined upon the basis of the evidence presented but rather the politics of the decision. Hubert Snead, the chair, appeared to be changing the charges at the close of the case. The charges were specific-supporting AMFA- even though the bases for those charges were not. When the prosecutions evidence fell flat, Snead, at least to me, appeared to build his line of questioning -which I felt was unusual, being cross examined by the chair- led me to believe that they were looking to go after my push for internally driven change from within as a violation of the Constitution.

Sonny Hall, my accuser, didn’t even have the b@!!$ to show up. How can we be expected to look to such a coward as our leader? Here he is on his turf, leveling charges yet he refused to even show up! Kerrigan was probably taking a nap like he did during most of the Convention.

One of our top Local officials and I often have debates. In one debate he contended that its not so much the structure but rather the people that get brought up, notice I did not say sent up, through the organization that cause the problems. He is especially critical of how one incompetant, Jim Little, is able to surround himself with other incompetants, Gless and Yingst. He contends that if the right people were in place things would be different. My counter to that is that the structure helps keep these people in and resists positive change.

Having a strong executive is not necessarily a bad thing, but without democratic accountability it is inherantly dangerous to the members interests. The excuse that members elect delegates who then vote in their place is not valid. The delegate system provides no accountability since delegates votes are not even recorded. Most votes at the Convention were by voice vote. At one point during the Convention Sonny Hall even said that he gets to determine how votes go. There is no weight, if the chair says the motion passed there is no means to challenge the vote. When Sonny called for two ayes on one motion, then declaring that the ayes have it the delegation asked which ayes, his reply "Well, if you get up here, then you can decide the day you get here". Such a remark shows a complete contempt for democracy.

But then again you knew all this already did'nt you?

jake said:
Incidentally, Sonny didn’t “remove “ anyone. He “suspendedâ€￾ them pending a trial. I know the argument. Sonny heads the committee. The fact is, the charges must be proper and be able to be proven. If not, the International could be sued in a court of law. .
I would like to know how much money the International spends in lawsuits with its own members and locals. I guess thats why they did not want to get embroiled in the legal entanglements of Bankruptcy.

Being sued does not seem to be much of a deterrant and Sonny's Kangaroo courts decisions have been overturned by the courts. One judge even remarked upon Sonny's long history of abusing his powers as President to silence rivals.

Sonny tells us to remember that we are on the same team, but as his pay and benifits increase ours go down. We are not even in the same league, we are workers and he is just another boss. Look at where Sonny works, look at his compensation and benifits (if you can), do any of his members live like him? To tell the truth I would not care what he was paid if he delivered the same for us. But instead of increasing our wages he gives us the same line as the company- "be happy you have a job", well 90% of the private sector workforce have jobs too but they dont pay union dues, when you pay dues you have the right to expect something better.

The fact is that suspended is removed, however the implication is that it is temporary until a final decision is made. Suspended officers have had their authority "removed". I have been "removed" in that I can not represent members or carry out my duties as Treasurer. The fact is that Sonny has removed two elected officers and I've heard reports that Little says he may remove Local 501s Treasurer, the same guy they featured in the TWU Express going off to Iraq.

When can we expect the official verdict?

Are they now fearing the reaction of their own members and back peddling?

It appears o'le Sonny and Jim might be between the Rock and a Hard Place.

If wasn't such a disaster against freedom and democracy, this story would be humorous. :lol:

RV4 said:
When can we expect the official verdict?

Are they now fearing the reaction of their own members and back peddling?

It appears o'le Sonny and Jim might be between the Rock and a Hard Place.

If wasn't such a disaster against freedom and democracy, this story would be humorous. :lol:
So far no answer.

I would show you the transcript but its 190 pages.

However its interesting to note that the charges at the close of the trial, which was not a trial, wait it is, no its not (according to Hubert Snead) were different than those stated in the letter Sonny sent me and those they opened up with.

Supposedly they meet in PITT around the 25th.

Back