For all those that can't "find" a job.

Does anyone else find it ironic that the old white libertarian and conservative are on here whining about being discriminated against?

SparrowHawk said:
Prior to the anointing of King Obama I had a work life that started at 13 when my Dad passed and continued UNINTERRUPTED until 2008.

My industry was and continues to consolidate. When I started out there were at least 13 manufacturers to work for along with several thousand dealers nationwide. You could tell your employer to "bugger off" on Tuesday and be working for the same or more money bt the following Monday. Today the number of major manufacturers is 7 and the dealer community has shrunk by half. Couple that with a pool of thousands of higher level experienced worker in the same boat and the competition is fierce. Allied and related industries are also shrinking expanding the available talent pool.

At age 59 it is very difficult to reinvent yourself, yet in order to find meaningful opportunities. Failing that one gets a job wherever he can. Currently I stock shelves in a grocery store and do what is called Assisted  Sales Rep work. I'm the guy you see hawking TV's in the white polo in Best Buys. Where the blue shirts dub you "The sperm sales rep". Those jobs pay $15/hr for about 12 hours of work per week. Next on the food chain is the $12/Hr Grocery Merchandizer. Can't work more than 28 hours for one contractor thanks to ObamaCare. So you sign up with 2 or 3 so you always have work as some assignments can be only a few hours in duration and you can work your 28 hours and do 2 more each day in project work.

Then you go home, eat and jump on the computer and try to find meaningful work that pays over $40K per year with benefits. You tweak your cover letters and resume for the specific job, Then you wait for the call that almost never comes. If it does then there is a phone or skype interview followed by a personal interview or 4. If you go in through a recruiter you get more immediate results like "Lacks energy" which is code for "To friggin' old".

You check your e-mail in hopes of reply's and are lucky to get a rejection e-mail or two. Most of the time your effort fades into the ether. If you do get an interview you find yourself competing with as many as 200 applicants.

Then comes a day where you don't have to work the next day and you get back stabbing, toilet hugging S-Faced drunk and start all over again.

In my case the one thing you never do is surrender, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER give in. Each day I lace up the gloves, put my cup on and mouthpiece in and do battle. (metaphorically) seeking only the opportunity to compete openly and fairly. YES, I get knocked down, However I also get back up. I might be ironing the white flag, but I'm not ready to fly it just yet.
Good Luck Sparrowhawk.
Those after 50 are considered fodder.
Had a few of those interviews myself.
'Not enough energy'... Code word... Too Frigging old.
Chin Up!
B) xUT

delldude said:
Reality is not whining Son.
I didn't say it isn't real. Where did you get that from?

I am fully aware of the reality of it.

There are other forms just as real as yours that many think doesn't exist.

BTW: I am way too old to be your son...

Glenn Quagmire said:
Does anyone else find it ironic that the old white libertarian and conservative are on here whining about being discriminated against?
I think that was uncalled for.
Do you pick wings off of flies?
Does your new found position give you the arrogance to not have compassion?
I have looked for work after 55 and it is not pretty.
Hope you never have to do that, but don't beat down the rest of us.
B) xUT

xUT said:
I think that was uncalled for.Do you pick wings off of flies?Does your new found position give you the arrogance to not have compassion?I have looked for work after 55 and it is not pretty.Hope you never have to do that, but don't beat down the rest of us. B) xUT
See my above post. I absolutely have compassion for the plight. I find it ironic that the individual liberty champion is here talking about it.

Insert another class into the "after 55" part and then you may see the irony.

Glenn Quagmire said:
See my above post. I absolutely have compassion for the plight. I find it ironic that the individual liberty champion is here talking about it.

You did mention having issues putting into words your thoughts.

Glenn Quagmire said:
Did you hear me whine? If so where? Someone asked, I answered. Going out and finding and working five jobs is hardly an example of sloth now is it?

I can't change the reality, all I can do is the very best I can to rectify my situation. I was and likely still am eligible for Food Stamps and Subsidized Health Care. I have never applied for either as it is against the very principles I espouse here and elsewhere.

I've lived a lot in my time Glenn. From that hot August day 46 years ago when the American Legion honor guard neatly folded my Father's flag and presented it to me I have made my own way through good times and bad. Has it been fair? NOPE! Life isn't fair and like it or don't we have winners and losers. Some (like me) Win & Lose multiple times in life. If speaking the truth is something you can't handle to bad for you. You can keep a good man down just not for very long. 

Glenn Quagmire said:

How can you use the word 'ironic'? The only irony here would be if the people you point out had a history of discriminating against others. I know that is not the case.

Back