Flight Attendants Balk At Airline's Proposal

BoeingBoy

Veteran
Nov 9, 2003
US Airways flight attendants balk at airline's cost cutting proposal
Union: Few if any givebacks would fly

Tuesday, August 03, 2004
By Dan Fitzpatrick, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

US Airways, seeking $116 million in annual cuts from the flight attendants, is targeting changes in the union's pension plan and the way vacations and sick time are accrued.

Article

Jim

Teddy needs to realize that "JetBlue workrules" may be just what it takes if US wants to be profitable.

I thought the changing in workrules were the main thing that the company and labor both agreed needed to be changed?

BoeingBoy said:
US Airways flight attendants balk at airline's cost cutting proposal
Union: Few if any givebacks would fly
Boy oh Boy oh Boy are they going to feel the pain if they don't straighten up and submit.

Well I guess the IAM, now the AFA and soon the CWA will be in the crosshairs acording to Chip ..... I smell BK.

I'm confused.

None of the details of the proposal were provided (at this time) to the general flight attendant population.

The Hotline stated that the company's proposal would be distributed concurrently with the union's counter-proposal.

Yet the Pit newspaper GETS details of the proposal before dues-paying members.

<scratching head>

ISP said:
Teddy needs to realize that "JetBlue workrules" may be just what it takes if US wants to be profitable.

I thought the changing in workrules were the main thing that the company and labor both agreed needed to be changed?
The proposals and the negoiation discussions MUST BE WITHIN THE CONTEXT OF OUR PRESENT CONTRACT AGREEMENT....KAPEESH?

Most of what was proposed is not even understandable. If the MEC doesn't understand it, how in the heck will the membership?

There needs more clarity and there is none at this present time.

Most of what was proposed is not even understandable. If the MEC doesn't understand it, how in the heck will the membership?

Just like the last 2 agreements. Make them so vague that the interpretation is up in the air; thus, giving U carte blanche to do as they wish. Shame on AFA for agreeing to open the contract again. How many times does one have to get burned before they learn? :down:

Peeky said:

Just like the last 2 agreements. Make them so vague that the interpretation is up in the air; thus, giving U carte blanche to do as they wish. Shame on AFA for agreeing to open the contract again. How many times does one have to get burned before they learn? :down:

Guess what Peeky....

Hopefully eveyone will vote THIS time. 3,800 didn't vote at all in the Winter.

Saavy:

It appears you missed that other union's are talking with the company according to the Post-Gazette. According to the article hyperlinked below, flight attendant union leaders plan to spend this week preparing a counterproposal "that is palatable to the flight attendants," according to MEC president Perry Hayes.

See Story

Separately, I understand the CWA is meeting with management too. In fact, on their website, the CWA said, "CWA'ers and management will meet to discuss cost-cutting proposals".

See Story

Saavy, so far the only large union that is not talking with US Airways regarding the new business plan is the IAM, but there is reason to believe that could change in the not-so-distant future.

Respectfully,

USA320Pilot

PITbull said:
Guess what Peeky....

Hopefully eveyone will vote THIS time. 3,800 didn't vote at all in the Winter.
I tend to agree, with Peeky. Information was very vague and difficult to understand what one was voting ON> I hope this time around, since the Union has decided to open up the contracts or at least TALK with managment that they will inform us appropriately. Maybe if this is done, MORE flight attendants will vote. Because then they will know what the "H" they are voting for.

Think about this for a moment, WE DON'T KNOW HOW TO READ LATIN!!!!!!
One thing for sure, I will certainly spread the word on Reserve issues. You can count on that. Of course, according to your posts PitBull, only 21% or a little more are on reserve right now, so I would presume we are really low on the totem poll for consideration.

Hope all those Seniors will be given notice that THEY TOO MAY BE ON RESERVE STATIS WITH THIS NEW PROPOSAL. I hope the Union lets them know. :shock: :shock: :down:

PALATABLE: Agreeable to the taste; pleasing. savory. agreeable to the mind of feelings; acceptable. HOGWASH.!!!!! :down: What a stupid comment from the President of our Union. What a total INSULT. We flight attendants deserve a whole hellava lot better than PALATABLE. Give us a break. Pitbull?? Any comments???

kt,

I have no comment for you, because I don't have any appreciation for folks who make excuses why they didn't care to vote. If folks were n't sure how to vote, you think they would vote NO, like the two LEC presidents wrote out in the winter.

Have you seen the sick fix, or do you have some ungrateful comment about that too?

Have a nice night.

USA320Pilot said:
Saavy:

It appears you missed that other union's are talking with the company according to the Post-Gazette. According to the article hyperlinked below, flight attendant union leaders plan to spend this week preparing a counterproposal "that is palatable to the flight attendants," according to MEC president Perry Hayes.

See Story

Separately, I understand the CWA is meeting with management too. In fact, on their website, the CWA said, "CWA'ers and management will meet to discuss cost-cutting proposals".

See Story

Saavy, so far the only large union that is not talking with US Airways regarding the new business plan is the IAM, but there is reason to believe that could change in the not-so-distant future.

Respectfully,

USA320Pilot
I'm sure the generous offer the company made to the CWA will lead to a quick agreement. Afterall, it was only an "opener". As for the AFA I'm sure someone will eventually be able to decipher the company's proposal. Little things like that should lead to quick resolutions. Savy

Savy:

In my opinion, the only thing that will lead to a contract resolution for any union is the alternative, which is bankruptcy. Whether it’s Chapter 11 or 7 remains to be seen. Nobody at this company likes what is happening to you, every other employee, and me.

Our problem is the LCC’s and their labor contracts, which provide pay and benefits below our current contracts.

Respectfully,

USA320Pilot

Back