DAL has best earnings upside revisions in industry

WorldTraveler said:
what YOU tell ME is that you want to harp on every negative thing about what DL does while failing to acknowledge the positive that DL does
Can  you list 1 negative thing about DL?
I thought so,

• Banned
the lie is that some believe that there is significant upside for employees by changing the current paradigm.

DO I want to see more work done inhouse? absolutely. When I look at other airlines in the US and see the high rate of outsourcing they do, it is hard to believe that the scenario that some envision is realistic at DL or any other carrier.

I never said that HMVs cost 10K jobs... it is the AA folks who have argued repeatedly that the difference between AA and DL maintenance staffing justifies the 10K more employees that AA had prior to the merger.

Even when the higher wages at other carriers are considered, the rate of outsourcing they do offsets the higher salaries. WN's business model has always been to heavily outsource maintenance. It makes little difference that the relatively few mechanics they have make more. Anyone that thinks that WN will change its business model to bring that work inhouse at this point is clearly mistaken.

I can't tell you the specifics of why DL is not bringing in some of the similar family engines you are citing.... but I'm sure there are people in YOUR department who should be able to tell you why. I'd like to know the answer.

Again, it is about a matter of control which some seem to think is their right to dictate to their employer.

DL didn't hire any employee - all the way up to the CEO - who has the right to make all of those decisions.

if making all of the decisions is something you need to be able to do, then working in a large organization is perhaps not the right place for you.

let's face it, large organizations are not for everyone. Not everyone has, can, or will adapt to the environment.
being trained in a specific skillset or liking the industry does not provide the necessary mindset to work in an environment where one doesn't get to make all of the decisions.

Being in a large company means giving up a lot of control in the name of the common goals of the organization.

IN the free enterprise system, and esp. one in which so many people think a union can make things better than what exists at DL, the company's obligations to an employee are what the market will bear.

Anything else above is gravy. Looking at DL's peer airlines, there is no evidence that a union can improve on what DL employees have.

WorldTraveler said:
if making all of the decisions is something you need to be able to do, then working in a large organization is perhaps not the right place for you.

let's face it, large organizations are not for everyone. Not everyone has, can, or will adapt to the environment.
being trained in a specific skillset or liking the industry does not provide the necessary mindset to work in an environment where one doesn't get to make all of the decisions.

Being in a large company means giving up a lot of control in the name of the common goals of the organization.

What a great backhanded compliment.

• Banned
I have no doubt that Kev and dawg are highly competent at what they do.

They have never impressed me as people who can happily subject themselves to the structure of a large organization.

When they ally themselves with people like 700 that post propaganda that repeatedly plays on the need to have control, the root issue as much as some want to avoid it, is that some people can manage to work in a large organization with others making decisions and some cannot.

since overhauling aircraft is not exactly a home-based business, dawg is going to have to learn to work within the structure that exists... which means that unless he rises fairly high into DL's corporate structure where he can argue but may not succeed at getting what he wants, he will be subject to the will of others - which will likely be very different from his own regarding DL maintenance.

WorldTraveler said:
I have no doubt that Kev and dawg are highly competent at what they do.

They have never impressed me as people who can happily subject themselves to the structure of a large organization.

Kev, dawg, I don't know how you guys managed to survive at DL this long.
100x100px-LS-022505bf_89331-smileyBorg.jpg

• Banned
they've been kicking and screaming - or else making up all kinds of stuff on this board.

FrugalFlyerv2.0 said:
Kev, dawg, I don't know how you guys managed to survive at DL this long.
100x100px-LS-022505bf_89331-smileyBorg.jpg
Wow. It is now readily apparent that somebody thinks people who can think independently and critically are a threat, rather than an asset to an organization. Unreal.

Glenn Quagmire said:
Wow. It is now readily apparent that somebody thinks people who can think independently and critically are a threat, rather than an asset to an organization. Unreal.
They'll be fine.  All they need is a sip of DL
Kool-aid.gif

• Banned
nobody and esp. me is against demonstrating critical thinking.

hiring a union to do an undefined job is the antithesis of being independent.

I happy to agree with a lot of the questions that dawg asks about why DL doesn't do some of the work inhouse that it sends out. but the same questions can be asked of other union-represented airlines. DL clearly has made decisions regarding what work they intend to do inhouse vs. send out as well as what they want to take in as insourced work vs. what they do not want to do. Neither I or dawg is going to be privy to the details behind those decisions.

and let's be real honest, here. some people have touted that they gave DL a chance but can't demonstrate when they ever stopped pushing for a union long enough to know whether DL could have worked or not.

It's fine to ask critical questions.

but I have yet to see the evidence that key participants on this forum have asked those questions with the intention of working within the confines of an organizational structure which they don't necessarily like and would like to change.

and let's also be very clear that the very reason why I can relate to Kev and dawg is because I have some of the same personality traits that prefers to be in charge and make my own decisions. I have made decisions based on that realization but also recognize that there will always be places in life where I have to bite my tongue and deal with it - because very few of us can really achieve all we want or desire all by ourselves.

• Banned
There is no shortage of zero calorie soft drinks available. I bet the majority of DL FAs do not drink "full sugar" soft drinks either.

but glad you weighed in, Kev.

suppose you can tell us when you really gave DL a chance? perhaps you did but some of us are hard-pressed to know when that occurred.

• Banned
assuming the first 12K were actually valid, the ballot box is all that matters at this point.

• Banned
dawg is a mechanic, not a maintenance scheduler.

the number of aircraft that DL has out of service in mods has been regularly tracked and posted on the internet.

DL has no more control or knowledge of DL's mod schedule than any one else.

if he wants to tell me specific issues that are related to the job he actually does, I'm all ears and respect him for doing so.

Back