COMPLAINTS! New Procedures

skynews

Feb 4, 2008
While policies & procedures will be changing, your professionalism shouldn't. Don't take passenger's comments about USAiways policies personally. Encourage passengers to by-pass sending their complaints to USAirways. Instead, request that they send their complaints directly to the DOT (www.dot.gov) and "cc" a copy to USAirways (http://www.usairways.com/awa/content/contact/customer_relations.aspx). Public pressure has a greater chance for making change at our airline than we ever will.

While policies & procedures will be changing, your professionalism shouldn't. Don't take passenger's comments about USAiways policies personally. Encourage passengers to by-pass sending their complaints to USAirways. Instead, request that they send their complaints directly to the DOT (www.dot.gov) and "cc" a copy to USAirways (http://www.usairways.com/awa/content/contact/customer_relations.aspx). Public pressure has a greater chance for making change at our airline than we ever will.

THAT is STUPID!! So the DOT sets service procedures for US Airways?? NO THANK YOU!! The DOT has become the catch phrase for everyone to complain about stupidity. Want to complain? Complain with your wallet...PERIOD!! I trust the DOT and the FAA about as much as I do Doug Parker. I am so sure the DOT is going to "pressure" US into not selling you a stupid soda. Gimme a break! Some of you need to get out there and see that 50% of our customers already think we charge and have tried to pay. No fights, no arguments. You see, the real world seems to understand that while not the smartest move, something has to be done. Write the DOT..Good Lord! NOW BLAST AWAY!!

Wow! That's really intelligent--encourage passengers to complain about our airline?

Does anyone know if there is a way to actually view the DOT complaint? I'd be curious to see just what people are writing to them about. Isnt it also true that the DOT doesnt justify the actual complaints, but instead just reports that they received one? If thats the case then someone who complains that they dont like the color of the planes would get the same status (a complaint) as someone who actually misconnected, missed bags, etc with a true issue to be addressed. If this is the case, then its no wonder that US is still in the bottom since I'm sure some here have a complaint for anything US does, even if they havent set foot on their planes for months or years. (Not that I'm saying that US doesnt deserve many of the complaints they get, but I cant see this being a valid benchmark for service standards if anyone can complain about anything and it gets counted as a complaint, especially since certain FFOCUS members are passing out cards in line for issues that might/might not be serious enough to warrant a DOT complaint and there is no way to verify them.)

Just curious..........

Do the FA's have to account for the soft drinks, water, etc that is loaded on the aircraft? And if so, do they have to collect money from any crew member that drinks one?

Seems to me the best way management could do this (Charge for drinks), is to not load anything on the aircraft at all, except for the FC pax's. Then, if you want something, BYOB. Those full cans of soda weigh a lot. I bet most people already bring their own, so the company could save a lot more in fuel than the revenue from a soda.

<SNIP>I cant see this being a valid benchmark for service standards if anyone can complain about anything and it gets counted as a complaint, especially since certain FFOCUS members are passing out cards in line for issues that might/might not be serious enough to warrant a DOT complaint and there is no way to verify them.)
Just a guess, but I would think that the complaints run the gamut from legitimate to something silly like FAs not keeping the ice cubes cold enough. Even FFs on a well run airline like CO find stuff to complain about, just check out FlyerTalk any given time.

For the month of May I see 43 complaints for CO, and 93 for US. Could the actions of a copier salesman handing out cards skew the data that much?

This post is double ROT-13 encrypted to abate the snoops in Tempe.

For the month of May I see 43 complaints for CO, and 93 for US. Could the actions of a copier salesman handing out cards skew the data that much?

Well he does have the resources to make a bazillion copies to pass out to everyone he sees. :rolleyes: :ph34r:

No, I dont think Bob alone deserves all the credit and actually the company stated that many of the complaints they have been receiving lately are from policy changes from the frequent flyers so thats why I was curious if we could see what people are actually complaining about. If we get 50 policy change complaints vs 10 operational while the other carrier isnt doing policy changes (hence 0 complaints about it) and 20 operational complaints, then minus the policy change complaints (that should eventually die out) we would actually be doing better than the other carrier in that aspect. Since ALL complaints are lumped together though, its hard to see what is actually driving the complaints.

DOT! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

This topic should be in the Alphabet Soup section. Why not complain to the TSA, FAA, OSHA, NTSB, ACLU, CAIR, etc.

There must be a full moon somewhere! :eek:

<SNIP> If skewing the data leads to a better airline that is more customer focused then how is that a bad thing?
Sounds good to me. I’ll also venture that if someone from FFOCUS is encouraging their fellow travelers to send in DOT complaints, it’s probably *not* going to be about the ice cubes not being cold enough.

This post is double ROT-13 encrypted to abate the snoops in Tempe.

To provide some answers to tadjr's questions.....

I don't know of anywhere you can go to view the actual complaints, except possibly the DOT itself. The DOT does break them down into catagories so you can at least get an idea about the part of the operation that the complaint was about. For example, US' 93 complaints received in May were broken down as:

Flight problems - 14
Oversales - 9
Res/Tktg/Brdg - 21
Fares - 7
Refunds - 8
Baggage - 10
Customer Svc - 14
Disability - 4
Other - 6

As far as "silly" complaints like the ice not being cold enough, DOT sends US a copy of all complaints and US can (and does) get some thrown out.

Jim

IIRC there was an article in the employee newsletter that featured the DEPARTMENT that worked on getting DOT complaints thrown out. The article spoke with pride how these folks were able to get about one third of the total numbers thrown out. Main reason IIRC was contract carriers.

Perhap someone has a copv of the article?
Found the article, its in the June 2007 About US. I pasted a brief paragraph from it below. I've seen part of the report, specifically for one department. Some of the complaints are just silly: hold time was too long, didn't like "so and so's" tone of voice. Now some of the complaints were legitimate, but unfortunately I think the nonsense complaints cheapen the system.

"We need to make sure that the complaint is actually warranted for US Airways—that it’s not a codeshare or Express flight, and that the customer actually flew on US.â€￾ If it turns out the complaint is actually intended for, say, United, then US Airways can challenge the complaints and, in turn, decrease their ratio for the final report. Other airlines may do the same, however,
and consequently increase the number of US Airways’ complaints. Karen said mostchallenges are removed. Additionally, if the team is unable to contact the customer for any additional information, that complaintmay be challenged as well."

Just curious..........

Do the FA's have to account for the soft drinks, water, etc that is loaded on the aircraft? And if so, do they have to collect money from any crew member that drinks one?

Seems to me the best way management could do this (Charge for drinks), is to not load anything on the aircraft at all, except for the FC pax's. Then, if you want something, BYOB. Those full cans of soda weigh a lot. I bet most people already bring their own, so the company could save a lot more in fuel than the revenue from a soda.

I see this as a FA weed-out tool. Your drink count and revenue was off by $10.00 for three consecutive flights. You are hereby suspended....

Back