Aircraft maint issues

https://www.mccaskill.senate.gov/me...sparency-to-airline-maintenance-for-consumers

I was told that the efforts of the TWU is one of the major reasons this bill has been introduced or will be. I said TWU.
As usual the IAM is silent in our Association. This bill sounds great but passengers main concern is cheap fares. You will get a handful of passengers show interest but in the end it's about money.
Airlines want cheap labor and passengers want cheap fares.

https://www.mccaskill.senate.gov/me...sparency-to-airline-maintenance-for-consumers

I was told that the efforts of the TWU is one of the major reasons this bill has been introduced or will be. I said TWU.
As usual the IAM is silent in our Association. This bill sounds great but passengers main concern is cheap fares. You will get a handful of passengers show interest but in the end it's about money.
Airlines want cheap labor and passengers want cheap fares.

Along with the Tom Ridge report this piece of Legislation could gain some traction? Can’t deny anymore that there aren’t people out there trying to work for you.

And you’re right I don’t see ANY other Unions out there putting in this effort, including

Hasn't the Honorable Senator from Missouri introduced legislation aimed at protecting aircraft maintenance work from offshoring many times over the years? If I'm not mistaken, her efforts have been largely unsuccessful even when there was a Dem in the WH?

I wish her luck but I believe the current effort is largely symbolic especially in light of the anti-worker legislative branch. JMHO.......

Hasn't the Honorable Senator from Missouri introduced legislation aimed at protecting aircraft maintenance work from offshoring many times over the years? If I'm not mistaken, her efforts have been largely unsuccessful even when there was a Dem in the WH?

I wish her luck but I believe the current effort is largely symbolic especially in light of the anti-worker legislative branch. JMHO.......

Maybe if she had support for the Legislation it would have a chance. Contact her and give her your support.

June 7, 2018

Washington, DC – Senator Claire McCaskill (D-MO) and Representatives John Garamendi (D-CA) and Dan Donovan (R-NY) put aviation passengers, workers and safety first by introducing the Aircraft Maintenance Outsourcing Disclosure Act of 2018 (H.R. 6028 S. 3026) earlier today.

This commonsense, bipartisan legislation requires public reporting of U.S. airline maintenancepractices. The Transport Workers Union of America (TWU), which represents thousands of workers who maintain U.S. aircraft, is proud to endorse this bill.

Each year, millions of air travelers that fly U.S. airlines are in the dark about where their plane’s mechanical maintenance was performed – and there’s a strong probability the aircraft they’re flying on was repaired on foreign soil. But overseas aircraft maintenance facilities do not receive the same level of government oversight as those in the U.S., nor is there any guarantee that certified aviationmechanics made the repairs. Yet, U.S. airlines regularly outsource to these facilities. This bill would change that by allowing air travelers to know the location where heavy maintenance was performed, prior to purchasing their airfare. The bill wouldrequire airlines to list on their websites the cities and countries in which their aircraft undergo heavy maintenance. That same information also would be provided to consumers as they shop for flights, as well as on ticket confirmation and boarding passes.

“The American public deserves truth when flying. When deciding which airline to fly or which flight to buy, it shouldn’t be a privilege to know where airlines are maintaining their aircraft,” said TWU International President John Samuelsen. “This legislation allows the flying public to make informed purchasing decisions, while supporting regulators’ efforts to ensure all aircraft maintenance work is held to auniform high standard of safety and security.”

“I believe travelers should have the right to knowwhether the planes they’re flying on were serviced by qualified aviation mechanics in the United States, or whether maintenance was outsourced to foreign countries with lower labor, technical, and safetystandards,” Rep. Garamendi said. “This legislation empowers consumers, prioritizes transparency and also offers an opportunity to bring back good-paying manufacturing jobs.”

“No one should ever get onto a plane unsure of whether or not the aircraft they are boarding has met proper safety standards,” said Rep. Donovan.“Unfortunately, airlines have increasingly outsourced their maintenance practices to overseas facilities, which are not held to the same standards and oversight as U.S. repair shops. This bill is a strong step forward in protecting consumers, strengthening job opportunities for American workers and creating much needed transparency.”

A series of Inspector General reports and a recent study from former-DHS Secretary Tom Ridge’s firm show that foreign repair shops servicing U.S. aircraftare not held to the same level of scrutiny or standards as American shops, even though they perform extremely vital repairs.

“When airlines offshore this work, they eliminate the jobs of qualified workers who comply with strict FAA and TSA regulations,” Samuelsen said. “American families fly on these planes, and our families simply deserve better. The thousands of highly skilledAmerican aviation mechanics who have been competing on this uneven playing field deserve better – and the working communities that are built on solid, blue-collar jobs like these deserve better.”

“Before someone buys a ticket or boards their flight, they ought to know when and where that plane was last serviced—and whether it was done here in this country by the finest mechanics in the world, or done abroad by foreign workers,” McCaskill said. “This is a commonsense step to give consumers some peace of mind.”

“Senator McCaskill has been a leader on efforts to improve U.S. maintenance standards and practices and we commend her continuing this work. The TWU applauds Senator McCaskill and Reps. Garamendi and Donovan for standing up for aviation safety and American workers by introducing this bill. We look forward to working these lawmakers to turn the Aircraft Maintenance Outsourcing Disclosure Act of 2018 into law,” Samuelsen concluded.

http://www.twu.org/aircraft-mainten...act-of-2018-prioritizes-safety-american-jobs/

7C84F3FD-7BE3-4257-8881-CDC151142880.jpeg

Maybe if she had support for the Legislation it would have a chance. Contact her and give her your support.

June 7, 2018

Washington, DC – Senator Claire McCaskill (D-MO) and Representatives John Garamendi (D-CA) and Dan Donovan (R-NY) put aviation passengers, workers and safety first by introducing the Aircraft Maintenance Outsourcing Disclosure Act of 2018 (H.R. 6028 S. 3026) earlier today.

This commonsense, bipartisan legislation requires public reporting of U.S. airline maintenancepractices. The Transport Workers Union of America (TWU), which represents thousands of workers who maintain U.S. aircraft, is proud to endorse this bill.

Each year, millions of air travelers that fly U.S. airlines are in the dark about where their plane’s mechanical maintenance was performed – and there’s a strong probability the aircraft they’re flying on was repaired on foreign soil. But overseas aircraft maintenance facilities do not receive the same level of government oversight as those in the U.S., nor is there any guarantee that certified aviationmechanics made the repairs. Yet, U.S. airlines regularly outsource to these facilities. This bill would change that by allowing air travelers to know the location where heavy maintenance was performed, prior to purchasing their airfare. The bill wouldrequire airlines to list on their websites the cities and countries in which their aircraft undergo heavy maintenance. That same information also would be provided to consumers as they shop for flights, as well as on ticket confirmation and boarding passes.

“The American public deserves truth when flying. When deciding which airline to fly or which flight to buy, it shouldn’t be a privilege to know where airlines are maintaining their aircraft,” said TWU International President John Samuelsen. “This legislation allows the flying public to make informed purchasing decisions, while supporting regulators’ efforts to ensure all aircraft maintenance work is held to auniform high standard of safety and security.”

“I believe travelers should have the right to knowwhether the planes they’re flying on were serviced by qualified aviation mechanics in the United States, or whether maintenance was outsourced to foreign countries with lower labor, technical, and safetystandards,” Rep. Garamendi said. “This legislation empowers consumers, prioritizes transparency and also offers an opportunity to bring back good-paying manufacturing jobs.”

“No one should ever get onto a plane unsure of whether or not the aircraft they are boarding has met proper safety standards,” said Rep. Donovan.“Unfortunately, airlines have increasingly outsourced their maintenance practices to overseas facilities, which are not held to the same standards and oversight as U.S. repair shops. This bill is a strong step forward in protecting consumers, strengthening job opportunities for American workers and creating much needed transparency.”

A series of Inspector General reports and a recent study from former-DHS Secretary Tom Ridge’s firm show that foreign repair shops servicing U.S. aircraftare not held to the same level of scrutiny or standards as American shops, even though they perform extremely vital repairs.

“When airlines offshore this work, they eliminate the jobs of qualified workers who comply with strict FAA and TSA regulations,” Samuelsen said. “American families fly on these planes, and our families simply deserve better. The thousands of highly skilledAmerican aviation mechanics who have been competing on this uneven playing field deserve better – and the working communities that are built on solid, blue-collar jobs like these deserve better.”

“Before someone buys a ticket or boards their flight, they ought to know when and where that plane was last serviced—and whether it was done here in this country by the finest mechanics in the world, or done abroad by foreign workers,” McCaskill said. “This is a commonsense step to give consumers some peace of mind.”

“Senator McCaskill has been a leader on efforts to improve U.S. maintenance standards and practices and we commend her continuing this work. The TWU applauds Senator McCaskill and Reps. Garamendi and Donovan for standing up for aviation safety and American workers by introducing this bill. We look forward to working these lawmakers to turn the Aircraft Maintenance Outsourcing Disclosure Act of 2018 into law,” Samuelsen concluded.

http://www.twu.org/aircraft-mainten...act-of-2018-prioritizes-safety-american-jobs/

I'll do that and contact my Senators too. 2 of the most anti labor pro corporate Senators there are.

Really? So are you saying AMFA has no connections in Wash? Get a clue man. Good bye. You are soooooo un informed it is pathetic...
You have your head so far up AMFA butt, it's pathetic. I do have a clue, they try to get mechanics registered as skilled, instead of Semi skilled, and they listen, and then Tell AMFA have a nice day. If the AFL,/ CIO didn't look at AMFA, as nothing more than a Raider union, they might have some friends in Washington. When the Northwest strike came, no presidential emergency board prevented that strike. The other Unions political clout in Washington, allowed the destruction of thousands of mechanics jobs under AMFA suicide strike. So tell me Swampy does AMFA have friends in Washington?

You have your head so far up AMFA butt, it's pathetic. I do have a clue, they try to get mechanics registered as skilled, instead of Semi skilled, and they listen, and then Tell AMFA have a nice day. If the AFL,/ CIO didn't look at AMFA, as nothing more than a Raider union, they might have some friends in Washington. When the Northwest strike came, no presidential emergency board prevented that strike. The other Unions political clout in Washington, allowed the destruction of thousands of mechanics jobs under AMFA suicide strike. So tell me Swampy does AMFA have friends in Washington?

"If the AFL,/ CIO didn't look at AMFA, as nothing more than a Raider union, they might have some friends in Washington."

That is exactly what "The ASSociation" IS: A RAIDER UNION at AA. They never were ELECTED by AA employees but SELECTED by the AFL-CIO.

I'm no fan of AMFA either.

Back