Aircraft maint issues

Oh, it would be nice to hang on to that level of medical insurance. Unfortunately, the people who currently enjoy that level of benefits are in the minority - within not only the company, but the industry. The failing, multi employer pension is another dinosaur that finds itself utilized by a small minority within not only the company, but the industry as well. It's too easy of an argument for the company to make in negotiations against continuing either option.

On the LAA side, we are already begrudgingly used to the higher medical costs, and have done likewise with the frozen pension.

So, it comes down to the negotiating committee agreeing on what to bring back for vote.

Signing an AMFA card to get rid of both of these POS unions is always fun.

Couldn't agree more.
But if an AMFA card drive were to start, the IAM will immediately threaten its members by telling them that getting rid of the IAM will cost them their pensions.
They already pulled that one. And the members fell for it.

A great thing that IAMNPF.

Last edited:
I would love to see AAs last final offer, the full contract just to see if it is good or bad.
What I find amusing is that the union is complaining that the company never really responded to their offer, but when the company gave the union its comprehensive proposals in August of 2017, the union balked for months unit the VP started the chain of events where we now have the union and company playing ping pong with the back and forth.

http://www.businessinsider.com/white-house-statement-on-iran-nuclear-had-typo-2018-5

Looks like the White House is putting out misleading info to start a conflict with Iran, like the Bush administration did with Iraq.

That means we will be less likely to get a contract when that happens, and seeing how the association already agreed to cross utilization. AA had all the synergy it needs.
Which is why Big Jets at SWA with our current offer maintaining all our scope, and getting a raise, they should take the deal. But we will see how it comes out. We actually have people that think we should turn this down, because we got the fan blades inspections done, and they should pay us more than they offered. I don't remember American guys getting any extra money when the FAA grounded your MD80 fleet for wire clamp spacing on your electric hydraulic pumps. Or when your 757's with Pratt engines couldn't fly because of the Fan blades. Last time I looked we get paid for working on airplanes.

Last edited:
Even though I am a Higher Class Mechanic than the majority I do know that the Mechanics
have to go to school on this Fan Blade Installation Procedure.
Well, my smart alec remark about being a higher class mechanic wen nowhere.:)

I would love to see AAs last final offer, the full contract just to see if it is good or bad.
Even I know it's not good. I would be amazed that you guys still have no clue what the latest offer is. We have always had a good update after each and every nego's sessions either by official update, in person or at a monthly meeting. Leaving the membership in the dark about what the current offer at the table is is just wrong. You guys really do need to change this and quickly, it will only hurt the membership in the long run.

We have given the association the chance to get us a deal and they cannot. We have Fleet Service in charge of our negotiations and we have the IAM holding out and the longer they drag things out they keep their cheap medical and we don't get paid sick time, retiree medical and holidays. So we have everything working against us and nothing working for us. We lost another week of vacation in 2012 because Fleet voted yes in 2010 to give away theirs. We got a total of 80 cents an hour in trade for the 6th week of vacation. Stores kept their 6th week because Fleet doesn't run their negotiations and doesn't put Me Too language on them. If Fleet wants to sell their vacation for pennies that's fine with me. I don't and most AMTs wouldn't have traded their 6th week of vacation for 80 cents. The only way for us to get past this is to get our own representation. Then at least we can negotiate as AMTs and have AMTs in charge of negotiations. We have too many different groups and now another airline involved who all have their own special interest. But the Me Too has, in my opinion, cost us dearly. How would you like to have that 6th week of vacation right now? We couldn't keep it because Fleet gave it away and then put in a Me Too so we couldn't keep it. Just my opinion and I know the Fleet guys will disagree but so be it. We have been attached to Fleet forever and always have gotten less than our peers at other airlines. Jim Little invented the Me Too and that continues to hurt us. Fleet wants different things than we do. Why can't they get what they think is important and we get what we think is important? Instead we get what they get because they control the negotiations.

We have given the association the chance to get us a deal and they cannot. We have Fleet Service in charge of our negotiations and we have the IAM holding out and the longer they drag things out they keep their cheap medical and we don't get paid sick time, retiree medical and holidays. So we have everything working against us and nothing working for us. We lost another week of vacation in 2012 because Fleet voted yes in 2010 to give away theirs. We got a total of 80 cents an hour in trade for the 6th week of vacation. Stores kept their 6th week because Fleet doesn't run their negotiations and doesn't put Me Too language on them. If Fleet wants to sell their vacation for pennies that's fine with me. I don't and most AMTs wouldn't have traded their 6th week of vacation for 80 cents. The only way for us to get past this is to get our own representation. Then at least we can negotiate as AMTs and have AMTs in charge of negotiations. We have too many different groups and now another airline involved who all have their own special interest. But the Me Too has, in my opinion, cost us dearly. How would you like to have that 6th week of vacation right now? We couldn't keep it because Fleet gave it away and then put in a Me Too so we couldn't keep it. Just my opinion and I know the Fleet guys will disagree but so be it. We have been attached to Fleet forever and always have gotten less than our peers at other airlines. Jim Little invented the Me Too and that continues to hurt us. Fleet wants different things than we do. Why can't they get what they think is important and we get what we think is important? Instead we get what they get because they control the negotiations.

It would be nice to change unions. I've been signing AMFA cards since the early 90's. But we have too many sheep and with the IAM scaring the uninformed with pension scare tactics. It makes me believe that we probably won't be able to change representation. But one can only hope for a miracle to happen.

It would be nice to change unions. I've been signing AMFA cards since the early 90's. But we have too many sheep and with the IAM scaring the uninformed with pension scare tactics. It makes me believe that we probably won't be able to change representation. But one can only hope for a miracle to happen.
It won't happen if we don't try. Yeah it's an uphill fight but we lose anyway if we do nothing. You think the FSC who are in charge of our negotiations care what we want or need? No they are going to take care of their own interest. Human nature.

Back