Against Seniority for Non-Rev Travel

Here's an intersting "HP hub" to "US hub"...
flight had only 13 revenue seats open and 30 some non-revs trying to get on. NOtice the buddy pass traveler who checked in on July 19th at 10AM... and this was a flight TODAY.

The question all US and HP employees should be asking themselves: where would they stand on this list?

If any of the passengers are affiliates employees and the aircraft is a affiliate express carrier they go on first regardless of S1,S2,S3,S4,S5,S6,S7,S9

Well that is the only downside to FCFS -- foreign places! Otherwise I don't honestly care -- if I need to get somewhere, then I better plan better.

Actually its not the only place. I tried to check in online from OREGON, and it wouldnt work for some reason. With the West way (soon to be all of us) rez system, an employee has to have an actual Eticket to check in. You cant just list like on the East side now, so unless your tickets are correct and ticketed right, you arent going to be able to check in online. Funny thing was, my ticket didnt show any problems other than when I was trying to check in online. Checkin at the airport, no problem, check a bag, no problem, get a boarding pass at the airport, no problem, just trying to get on the stupid list, problem!
Until they can get that and the transfer of one flight to another flight with a different city worked out, there is going to be problems.

You are right, I think it will be better to live in a crew base rather then commute. HMMMM where shall I go. Let's see, I think I would like to live in PHX. Here I come with nearly 20 yrs seniority, just so I don't have to commute. Lets just hope that the other 3000 f/a's on the East that commute to their crew bases, don't decide to do the same thing.

Lets get back to reality. Unfortunatly commuting is a way of life on the East. There has to be a happy medium, I highly doubt it is going to be decided in this forum.
Now why should anyone care if there is 1 or 3000.
Just about EVERY EMPOLYEE at some time has had to make a choice.

A few thing to consider at the new LCC.
1. There is no pension, think 401k.
2. Senority is for bidding only, not non-reving.
Low pay ?
3. HP people can't waaaaaaait to get raises to US standards. (if that ever really happens)
4. FCFS is the only fair way.
5. Arizona is a right to work state. High turn over at locally owned companies.

At East the IAM M&R have a 3% Defined Contribution Plan and the IAM Fleet Service are part of the IAM National Pension Plan which US Airways pays into for each Fleet Service Member.

Seniority is for job classification, shift, days off, location, vacation, pay and for travel (east).

Not all HP employees will get raises, and the CWA/ibt agreement does not bring the HP employees up to US Scale, it is a gradual increase.

Seniority is the only true and fair way, if you dont have internet access how is that fair? If you are in a remote location or out of the country not near a computer, how is that fair?

Right To Work Laws do not apply to Contracts under the Railway Labor Act, Federal Law supercedes State Law.

Care to try again?

You're right......they don't care. The Westies don't plan on retiring. They want it all right now. Get in ....have some fun...travel a lot. and bail out. The long term survival of this company is no concern of theirs.
How would you know what is of concern to anyone???? And how does not wanting to use seniority show what we do and don't care about??

It's like respect, you don't just get it...you have to earn it.
Yes, repsect is earned . .not just automatically given because you worked somewhere longer than someone else. There are probably 1-year employees out there that have "earned" more than 20-year employees.

700, I'm still going over your response. The first thing that comes to mind about the FCFS is I can't imagine walking up to a gate and bumping people just because I'm senior to someone. And I'm in the top ten %. And you don't need a computer, just show up as early as possible at the gate to check in.

700, I'm still going over your response. The first thing that comes to mind about the FCFS is I can't imagine walking up to a gate and bumping people just because I'm senior to someone. And I'm in the top ten %. And you don't need a computer, just show up as early as possible at the gate to check in.
It does not work that way, on East you are suppose to list 24 hours before the flight.

If you show up more then 30 minutes prior to departure you will get a seat, if you show up 30 minutes or less your seniority will not allow you to bump someone off the flight.

And if you are connecting you are all ready listed and on the standby list when you clear your first flight.

How would you know what is of concern to anyone???? And how does not wanting to use seniority show what we do and don't care about??
Many from the West side have said they don't plan on retiring here, so that would make me think that they are only concerned with what the company can do for them NOW.

And not wanting to use seniority shows me that (if you are not senior) that you do care more about yourself and you don't care about those who have invested ,for a longer time,their life's energy into this company.

Look, I don't have a dog in this fight anymore. I am retired and have been shown what this company thinks of me. You guys fight it out amongst yourselves. I could care less what happens. I don't ever plan on non-revving because I don't think I can get on with all of those "actives" ahead of me.

The mindset of the employees who do not respect seniority does not bode well for this company. If you don't care about showing senior people that it is good they stick around then start installing the revolving doors. The company will be demonstrating that they just want a bodies to fill the positions. It will be the downfall of this company.

In reality, Easties fly from the east and vice a versa with the west, and using seniority will not really make it hard on anyone.

Back