Against Seniority for Non-Rev Travel

ON the EAST system... Yeah... I got bumped... Thank God I was a FA ... It was the only way I got back to PHX... To work...
However... On the west SIDe... I have never not got on a flight... EVER........... :up: So I am am FCFS... That's why we are for FCFS... Its FAIR.... F. :up: A. :up: .I :up: .R. :up: !!!! :D

But thats my feeling.... and your freind what dept do they work in? ? ?
Anything can be messed with even Sen. It has been done I am sure..... All you need to know is a freind who knows a friend who knows a freind.... :shock:
Don't worry about fly, she's a senior United flight attendant. She has no interest in this debate except to piss you off.

DOH, all the way. I don't want to have to find a computer to "check in" 12 hrs before I travel. It's just one more hassle. I've been here 19 years. Seeing as that US West f/a's have more vacation than me and get paid more than me, its the least I can have for my "seniority".

I honestly don't care how we go... seniority allows better planning though.

Case in point: the hotel I stay in Belize doesn't have phone lines (for guests) and the nearest computer point is the next island over -- so how can I check in 12 hours in advance there, while someone staying at the Radisson Ft. George or at a "real" resort can check-in ahead of me.
I think FCFS allows better planning, at least when planning a trip, and when you are getting close to the trip date. If you see a lot of SA3P's, you know it might be tough to get on the flight and need to check in early. However, with DOH you never know your place in line until you get to the airport. With FCFS, you always know how many SA3P's are there.

DOH, all the way. I don't want to have to find a computer to "check in" 12 hrs before I travel. It's just one more hassle. I've been here 19 years. Seeing as that US West f/a's have more vacation than me and get paid more than me, its the least I can have for my "seniority".
People in favor of DOH act as though they have no advantages over junior people.

I, too, will be fine with whatever is chosen--but I have a feeling those in DOH will just whine & complain if they don't get their way.

Don't worry about fly, she's a senior United flight attendant. She has no interest in this debate except to piss you off.

Senior?!? I wish! (oh, you mean compared to you? :lol: )

How can it possibly be fairer than seniority? FCFS is garbage. Wait until you have some years under your belt and you can't get on a trip but someone with 2 weeks seniority does (especially if it means you just missed your commute to work! :shock: HELLO dependability!)

Now I sort of wish for the old ICT/UCT. That merger would almost ensure a seniority based boarding. I can almost see you wetting your pants now.

Just my 2 cents worth.

It should be Date Of Hire up until ONE HOUR prior to scheduled departure time. Then, it should be first come first served.

Just my 2 cents worth.

It should be Date Of Hire up until ONE HOUR prior to scheduled departure time. Then, it should be first come first served.
DOH is a scarey thought for the former HP employees. For those of us on the East side FCFS is a scarey thought because we have over 5000 f/a's with about 3500 that commute to work. Why are we commuting? Because through the years we have been kicked out of our base that is home. We have families/spouses lives in the city we have lived in for X amount of years, not everyone is able to pick up their lives and move to a new crew base. The East concern over this issue is getting to and from work. If a FCFS is implemented then a priority boarding should be set for employees trying to commute to and from work.

There is a cut off time for DOH. EX-If the flt departs at 1700, at 1630 they begin boarding you have a boarding card/seat assignment, you board. I come flying up to the gate at 1745 they are NOT pulling off any non rev's to put someone on who is senior to them. The only way you will get pulled off is for revenue. Once you are given the seating assignment you are on. If someone senior to you shows up, then if there are any seats left they get on.

[quote name='proudf/a' date='Jul 20 2006, 07:34 AM' post='398192'

There is a cut off time for DOH. EX-If the flt departs at 1700, at 1630 they begin boarding you have a boarding card/seat assignment, you board. I come flying up to the gate at 1745 they are NOT pulling off any non rev's to put someone on who is senior to them. The only way you will get pulled off is for revenue. Once you are given the seating assignment you are on. If someone senior to you shows up, then if there are any seats left they get on.
[/quote]

If there is a cut off time for DOH, I wouldn't mind that. If the cut off time is 1 hour prior to departure, I'd feel comfortable with date of hire because I know that I can run to another gate or airline and make alternate plans.

Get a International Phone? One Point? And how many times are you going to be in Europe without a Cyber Cafe... I had plenty in Panama/and Costa Rica and Columbia when I was down visiting friends? ;) Just a thought? ? ? :D

P.S. Glad you have an open mind about FCFS :)

Well that is the only downside to FCFS -- foreign places! Otherwise I don't honestly care -- if I need to get somewhere, then I better plan better.

And on most of my leisure travel, I end up changing plans once i get to PHX due to loads...

The issues are pretty much black and white:

- Easties want DOH cause its what they know, and it helps them get on a plane.. commuters are especially firm on this one

- Westies want FCFS cause its what they know, and feel the Easties will bump the crap out of them systemwide (which is the reason I posted the PALL lists to show some sample flights and where YOU would fit in on the list).

Although I like the idea of DOH up to 1 hour then FCFS after that... or split the priorities -- S1 being FCFS or DOH and S3 being FCFS or DOH

It's simple to me: Until the contracts are fairly integrated, thus merging the two companies as one, I say keep the system as is. Doogie is foolish to do anything until the real issues are solved -- contracts, health benefits, etc.

Eye

There is a cut off time but I am not an agent so I do not know the exact times, it could very well be 1 hr before departure.

The biggest concern for the East is the commuting issue. HP doesn't have that many commuters. 85% of the f/a's based in PHL commute there. Getting to work should take a priority to someone traveling for leisure, if FCFS is implemented. The DOH is our means of knowing we are going to get to work. Anyone should be able to understand that.

Many are gonna slam you quick for that and say it's your "choice". YES commuters knew it was possible in their careers but I'm sure will agree that all the displacements and BS that has gone on with US up to date could NEVER have been predicted. Displaced is one thing but the whole company has been turned upside down from the first merger to today. The west want FCFS for the majority while the east seems to want seniority less the many more junior folks I work with at east. The west does not have anywhere near the number we have at east that commute. THERE is where your issue with each system falls. I said it in a previous post and will say it again, "with wanting fcfs be carefull what you wish for". If it is made harder for a flight attendant to commute from their home in the west to the east for trips it will only force the ones that wish to bid into PHX when it becomes available whether it be a year or 5 from now. The east f/a's worrying about losing the seniority boarding are commuters. Others that live in base mostly couldn't care less. The change to FCFS just may cause a shift in bases down the road.

Many are gonna slam you quick for that and say it's your "choice". YES commuters knew it was possible in their careers but I'm sure will agree that all the displacements and BS that has gone on with US up to date could NEVER have been predicted. Displaced is one thing but the whole company has been turned upside down from the first merger to today. The west want FCFS for the majority while the east seems to want seniority less the many more junior folks I work with at east. The west does not have anywhere near the number we have at east that commute. THERE is where your issue with each system falls. I said it in a previous post and will say it again, "with wanting fcfs be carefull what you wish for". If it is made harder for a flight attendant to commute from their home in the west to the east for trips it will only force the ones that wish to bid into PHX when it becomes available whether it be a year or 5 from now. The east f/a's worrying about losing the seniority boarding are commuters. Others that live in base mostly couldn't care less. The change to FCFS just may cause a shift in bases down the road.
Great point and you are right, some of the commuters chose to commute, but I bet if we could get some stats we might be surprised at how many are now commuting because of base closures an/or displacements. Commuting isn't easy.

Maybe those in PHX might have a change of heart once PHX opens and the East an all their seniority flood into their precious base because commuting is nearly impossible on a FCFS system, and they end up displaced. Will they be willing to pack up and move to an East coast base? Probably not, which then in turn leads to them commuting on FCFS. I agree, be careful what you wish for.

Back