Against Seniority for Non-Rev Travel

Funny how non-rev travel here seems to revolve around commuting. Non-rev travel is suppose to be for leisure. Were I come from, flight crews have access to jump seats. 2 or 3 extra in the cabin and 1 or 2 on the F/D. If these are not enough and crew members can't make it to work then tough. Live were the work is like everyone else. I don't think you will find much sympathy among noncrewmembers.

They comute by choice - that should not override anyone elses right to fly
Let me ask you a question. What would happen if you were displaced from your current base today? Would you be able to uproot your family and move them to a new crew base? Would your spouse be able to leave their job in hopes of finding a new one in your new crew base? This company just displaced 125 f/a's June 1st from PIT. Do you know how many of those people were in a position to move to their new crew base? I do, less then 5%. The alternative, is to commute or to quit. Guess what, about 5% did have to quit because they are unable to commute for whatever reasons. Until you have walked to the walk, don't judge.

Funny how non-rev travel here seems to revolve around commuting. Non-rev travel is suppose to be for leisure. Were I come from, flight crews have access to jump seats. 2 or 3 extra in the cabin and 1 or 2 on the F/D. If these are not enough and crew members can't make it to work then tough. Live were the work is like everyone else. I don't think you will find much sympathy among noncrewmembers.
There are 500 employees that commute from PIT. That includes crewmembers, ramp, agents, caterers, and mechanics. Not just crewmembers have been thrown out of their bases. They too depend on DOH to get to and from work. This is not just a f/a/pilot issue.

FCFS is bullshot....

I know many people who have given 3 to 4 decades of their lives working for USAir...ways and have recently retired. Isn't it just ducky to have a 2 month new hire get on a plane before them. You also have love it that a spouse and children fly at a lower level if the employee isn't with them. I'm glad I hung around all these years to treated like this. Lower pay, lousy work rules and retirement pay, no seniority. I just love this industry.

At least I know I can always by a cheap ticket at SWA and get where I'm going. Pass riding is longer a benefit.

Thanks Al....

The issues are pretty much black and white:

- Easties want DOH cause its what they know, and it helps them get on a plane.. commuters are especially firm on this one

- Westies want FCFS cause its what they know, and feel the Easties will bump the crap out of them systemwide...
Yes, and I've written this before. DOH is fair for Easties, FCFS is fair for Westies, and any change is unfair for everyone. I've flown under both systems and I feel FCFS makes the most people happy.

FCFS is bullshot....

I know many people who have given 3 to 4 decades of their lives working for USAir...ways and have recently retired. Isn't it just ducky to have a 2 month new hire get on a plane before them. You also have love it that a spouse and children fly at a lower level if the employee isn't with them. I'm glad I hung around all these years to treated like this. Lower pay, lousy work rules and retirement pay, no seniority.

Thanks Al....
Did you LOSE your seniority? Do you not already get higher pay, more vacation, better schedules than your junior counterparts??

And yes . .spouses and children SHOULD travel at a lower proirity without the employee. Why should someone who actually works for the company get bumped so some 16 year old can go on spring break??

Yes ...we earned it.

We all worked nights, had Tues/Weds off for nearly 20 years, started with low pay and only had 1-2 weeks vacation. Oh..and also had to endure layoffs due to station closings, pilot stikes, just lousy management.

It's like respect, you don't just get it...you have to earn it. I sure this is not what you want to hear...I'm just looking forward to retirement, so I can go look for another job / career.

I don't imagine that you care. Why would you. This will never happen to you.....

Everything that goes around....comes around.

I don't imagine that you care. Why would you. This will never happen to you.....

Everything that goes around....comes around.

You're right......they don't care. The Westies don't plan on retiring. They want it all right now. Get in ....have some fun...travel a lot. and bail out. The long term survival of this company is no concern of theirs.

Let me ask you a question. What would happen if you were displaced from your current base today? Would you be able to uproot your family and move them to a new crew base? Would your spouse be able to leave their job in hopes of finding a new one in your new crew base? This company just displaced 125 f/a's June 1st from PIT. Do you know how many of those people were in a position to move to their new crew base? I do, less then 5%. The alternative, is to commute or to quit. Guess what, about 5% did have to quit because they are unable to commute for whatever reasons. Until you have walked to the walk, don't judge.
There are 500 employees that commute from PIT. That includes crewmembers, ramp, agents, caterers, and mechanics. Not just crewmembers have been thrown out of their bases. They too depend on DOH to get to and from work. This is not just a f/a/pilot issue.
They should move, drive, or quit.
SA travel is for lesuire.
If i breakdown and deceide to fly for a vacation (40 hrs is enough at an airport) i can accept either doh of fcfs.
Regardless the only check in that should be allowed is in person.
They could put a "fair market value" on SA flying, take this benefit away, give me the value in money or vac.
If i really want to fly somewhere for a vacation, i will buy a ticket.

Here's an intersting "HP hub" to "US hub"...
flight had only 13 revenue seats open and 30 some non-revs trying to get on. NOtice the buddy pass traveler who checked in on July 19th at 10AM... and this was a flight TODAY.

The question all US and HP employees should be asking themselves: where would they stand on this list?

T 8 -SA1 19JAN79
T 9 -SA1 19JAN79
T 10 -S3 04FEB85
T 11 -S3 20JUN94
12 -S3 20JUN94
13 -S3 20JUN94
T 14 S3 02JUL01
T 15 S3 17DEC01
T 16 -S3 07JUN04
T 17 -S3 07JUN04
T 18 -S3 07JUN04
T 19 -S3 07JUN04
T 20 S3 30JAN06
T 21 -S4 29AUG83
22 -S4 29AUG83
T 23 S4 27SEP83
T 24 -S4 27SEP83
25 S4 17JUN85‡
26 S4 17JUN85
T 27 S4 04MAY87
T 28 S4 04MAY87
T 29 S4 01MAR04
T 30 S4 01MAR04
T 31 S5 31JAN00
T 32 S5 31JAN00
33 S7 19/1001
34 S7 20/0559
35 S7 20/0605
36 S7 20/0605
37 S7 20/0612
38 S7 20/0620
39 S7 20/0656
40 S7 20/0659
41 S9 20/0509
42 S9 20/0605

If I'm reading that right, it was on HP metal since the list isn't in DOH order. If it had been DOH priority, the junior person to get a seat would have had a Jun 1994 DOH. That covers a large majority of East folks - wonder what percentage of the West folks.

Was the flight scheduled to depart at or before 10:01 today?

On a brighter note, I'd have been the 1st SA3 to get a seat if I'd wanted one, no matter when I listed.

Jim

flight was on US-East.. its listed by Priority Code then DOH. If there is a dash by the priority code, that means the passenger got on. IF there's nothing, they were rolled over to the next flight. Those poor S7s are probably still sitting at the gate!

S3 - US / HP / JS / EN employee

S4 - eligibles/dependents/dom partner/reg guest w/o emp

S5 - affiliates

s6 - forgot

S7 - buddy pass (other airline too or are they s9?)

It's simple to me: Until the contracts are fairly integrated, thus merging the two companies as one, I say keep the system as is. Doogie is foolish to do anything until the real issues are solved -- contracts, health benefits, etc.

Eye
but of course they won't do anything tainted with logic.

They should move, drive, or quit.
SA travel is for lesuire.
If i breakdown and deceide to fly for a vacation (40 hrs is enough at an airport) i can accept either doh of fcfs.
Regardless the only check in that should be allowed is in person.
They could put a "fair market value" on SA flying, take this benefit away, give me the value in money or vac.
If i really want to fly somewhere for a vacation, i will buy a ticket.
You are right, I think it will be better to live in a crew base rather then commute. HMMMM where shall I go. Let's see, I think I would like to live in PHX. Here I come with nearly 20 yrs seniority, just so I don't have to commute. Lets just hope that the other 3000 f/a's on the East that commute to their crew bases, don't decide to do the same thing.

Lets get back to reality. Unfortunatly commuting is a way of life on the East. There has to be a happy medium, I highly doubt it is going to be decided in this forum.

Back